SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs YALE - Sat GAMEDAY 3pm

AZSIOUX

Not a real crisp game at all, thought we played well in the 1st, took most of the 2nd off, and then played ok in spurts in the 3rd. Still the difference in this game tom is a couple of things. First Saunders played well most of the game but the 2nd and 3rd goal are ones that I think Zane wouldn't have gave up. Obviously disappointing we couldn't put our best lineup out there in this situation and I wonder if what was wrong with Zane whether injury or sickness will come out. The other thing is the amount of puck luck and bounces Yale got. We had 3 or 4 shots that hit the post and had a couple rolling behind the goalie as well and then the disallowed goal as well. Obviously disappointed with the outcome but I want to thank the coaching staff and players, especially the seniors for this season and all the effort and time they have put in during their time and thank them for being a part of FIGHTING SIOUX HOCKEY.

If saying all this seriously makes you feel better, than good for you. We all deal with this stuff differently. But I, for one, am sick and tired of all the alibis and excuses being made for this program under the Hakstol-Hale-O'Keefe Dynasty. Something has to eventually give. ???

Hak totally out coached...and it was quite obvious.

One of the first time I agree that Hak didn't step up. He needed to split up Mattson and Gleason at the very least. God awful defensive pairing all weekend. Mattson looked like a clown out there (with the exception of one play, where he made up for his initial screw up). And for as good of a career as Gleason has had, he was a complete joke this weekend.

Gotta say that Hakstol has set himself up for this criticism. They won something in the last 8 years, either a WCHA Championship, a Final Five., or a regional, and this year they didn't. He fired Eades, and it didn't improve the team. I thought a timeout was called for in the second period when Yale was all over the Sioux. I think most Sioux fans probably had the same feeling as me, that Yale was going to score at some point, and it would probably be at a time when it would be hard to change momentum. I get frustrated with the lack of killer instinct exhibited on many occasions when they have a one goal lead. I guess now would be a good time to play the first session of Through these doors this season where the players pledged to give everything. I will say right now, they did not give everything in this game, and Mark MacMillan should be forced to watch that episode, because he played selfish both games, taking bad penalties in the NCAA tournament. Dumb penalties, poor intensity, and a poor powerplay cost us in this tournament, and the coaches know that is what the NCAA tournament is all about. You can sometimes tell intensity when you look at the faceoff situation early, and this proved true today. All that talent doesn't amount to much without the work ethic we see from Colton St. Clair. I would like to think that the players left would learn the lesson, but I tend to hope that every time. Rant over.

So how long are we going to stay with this Hak experiment? Seriously, this was our last chance for a while as the talent isn't going to be there next year, and he's relied on great talent over the past 8 years. I know I'm frustrated, but year in and year out he gets outcoached. The other coaches make the between period adjustments, and Hak just looked pale-faced at the end.

No excuses for today, but I would call shuffling the line yesterday for a comeback win in the 3rd period making adjustments. Too bad he didn't do the same thing today with the defensive pairings. He needed to split up Mattson and Gleason

Ok first off let’s not start sounding like goofer fans and calling for our coach to be fired because we lost again in the NCAA tourney. I agree this is starting to become an ugly habit, but hak has taken us to the NCAA tourney every year he’s been here and we have never had a losing season. They guy is an awesome coach and were lucky to have him. What boggles my mind is how the players allow this to happen every year. With the exception of Chay Genways senior year, we always play terrible in the NCAA tourney. I'm so sick of hearing them talk about playing a 60 minute game all year. They have not played a 60 minute game once this year. Yale deserved the win; they outplayed us the last 2 periods. Props to Saunders for a heck of a game and keeping us in it. It’s frustrating to see the season end like this again, and I’m just as sick of it as everyone. I do agree about Berry, what has he done all year to make this team better? I think it was a mistake getting rid of Eades. I do want give a sincere thanks though to all the seniors this year, it has been a pleasure watching you play for 4 years and you will be truly missed. Best of luck to you all in the future!

Rowney Parks Mark Mac OD and Rocco to an extent really didn't elevate their play down the stretch. 5 of your top 7 forwards basic did little over the last month. Smoke and mirrors doesn't but it.

Watching the last two periods war frustrating and depressing. We were outskated, it was clear which team wanted this win more, and it wasn't us. Can you coach that? I am not sure. We certainly could use some senior leadership.

I put away my Fighting Sioux flag, which was hanging on the front of the house, and put away my little light up Sioux hockey guy that was stuck in the front yard.

It is now baseball season. Unfortunately.

If saying all this seriously makes you feel better, than good for you. We all deal with this stuff differently. But I, for one, am sick and tired of all the alibis and excuses being made for this program under the Hakstol-Hale-O'Keefe Dynasty. Something has to eventually give. ???

Not one thing in there I wasn't serious about and its the truth. You people that want Hak gone are crazy, go ask anyone around the country and they will tell you he is a top 10 and probably top 5 coach in the country.

The most frustrating part is that the players have a very short memory. Wasn't it just last week that most of them lamented that you can't leave it up to a bounce of the puck, like what happened against CC. You also can't leave it up to a bad penalty. Play hard the whole game, and then fans can live with the results. Play hard, only when your backs are against the wall, and these are the types of responses you are bound to get. I am breaking my rule of posting right after a tough loss, but the frustration has gotten the best of me. Maybe I should have a cooling off period like the NCAA has.

• Upvote 1

Careful what you wish for. 9 seasons and 5 Frozen Four appearances. Any other team in the entire country would jump at that. Sure they haven't won it all, but at that point the games are pretty even and tough to blame the coach. You can fire Hak, but how likely are you going to be to find somebody else to come in and even match his success. There is a lot of parity in college hockey right now so winning it all is going to be tough in any given year. Teams will get their 2-3 year runs of dominance when they put together the right core of players, but tough to see any program winning with any real frequency. All you can ask is that you have a program that keeps you in the hunt year after year and sooner or later you'll break through.