SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs YALE - Sat GAMEDAY 3pm

AZSIOUX

No, I don't think Hak should be fired. But I also think he needs to take a long hard look at how he approaches the post-season, and that starts the first day of training.

Actually, I'd submit it starts with recruiting. He can get the "stars", but for whatever reason(s), he has a hard time getting them to gel and play like they should. And it's not just this year's team.

I know that at one point the Sioux were very interested in Jonny Brodzinski, did our interest fade, or did St. Cloud just beat us out for him? Sure could have used his 22 goals as a freshman. Was thinking of that when watching St. Cloud today. Nice player.

I respect you as a fan and poster, but this is pure alibi-spouting nonsense. It does the program absolutely no good to keep sugar-coating problems so that they go down the hatch easier. I am so sick and tired of all the alibis and excuses over the past nine years; at some point it needs to stop.

Point well taken but I didn't sugar coat it. I said I had no issue with those who criticize Hakstol but the claims Eades should be the coach or Bais would come back doesn't make much sense. Don't forget Blais recommended Hakstol. As a former athlete I would hope my coaches can put us in a position to win. Our hockey teams have been in a position to win. At some point in time you need to step up and make plays. I am not sure we were the better team. The WCHA teams had it handed to us. I don't think we had the depth nor the consistent goaltending to win it all this year. I realize who the head coach is and he is ultimately responsible. Over the 40 plus years I have been going to UND hockey games the teams who tend to have the best overall success are those who have proven coaches who get their teams to the playoffs year after year and Hakstol has done that. I just don't think because we didn't win this year, and because he hasn't won a title yet, he should be gone. IF UND makes the change I understand and we move on. We still need to get better either way.

I didn't think I made alibis, I just thought we were close to blowing these guys out earlier and it would have made a difference. I have no doubt O' Keefe as head of the Alumni Assn. can have influence but he didn't hire the coach, and he can't fire him. The issue here is whether or not we need a change in our hockey staff. OKeefe will not be able to save Hakstol's job. I am not yet convinced it is in the best interest of the program yet. I understand the frustration. I was starting to figure out how I would get to Pittsburgh from San Deigo for the Frozen 4.

Lets keep a count in an official thread......60 minutes, compete level, get pucks deep, play our game, blah, blah, blah....talk is cheap Hak

This is where the players get all this crap. I honestly cannot stand listening to a Hakstol interview, it's the same tired old crap over and over and over. "Work extremely hard.....accountability up and down the lineup....blah, blah, blah". :silly: How about some accountability at the top of the food chain? Because too many of our fans don't think it belongs there at all. ???

Niagara isn't UND...

So you are also promoting firing somebody based on a 3-game stretch? Bet you wouldn't be so callous if your job was on the line for a few bad days, and keep in mind he ultimately has to depend on someone else to carry out his instruction.

But that isn't "defensive" enough, so they won't ever do it.

UND shoud "NOT" be a defensive team. 2 hobey finalists, both forwards. They need to score more than the other team. The fact that they were outshot and only scored 1 goal is unacceptable. With the caliber of offense they have. They should have ni less than 3 goals a game. Hak and the boys get to caught up with a one goal lead. And it happens all too often. If they don't score they lose. That is their downfall. 1 goal leads with this team just don't work. They thought they could win with one goal. And when that did not happen they disinegrated.

Yup. No a dump and chase team. Should of carried the puck more.

The situation determines whether its carried or dumped. Parise and koivu basically said the same last week. Plenty of things to complain about, but this isn't one of them.

So you are also promoting firing somebody based on a 3-game stretch? Bet you wouldn't be so callous if your job was on the line for a few bad days, and keep in mind he ultimately has to depend on someone else to carry out his instruction.

All leaders depend on others to execute. My job is perpetually on the line based on my performance as reflected by the performance of the people that I lead. It is how it goes. Responsibility.

Not only did they fail on the pp, but our dzone play all year was not something that I was hugely impressed with.

The situation determines whether its carried or dumped. Parise and koivu basically said the same last week. Plenty of things to complain about, but this isn't one of them.

Agree with that. I have issues with our breakout and our attack. Cycle is fine if you eventually get the puck to the net...didn't do that today...

I've seen the list...not sure about any of them yet...

Our program, facilities, and NHL list makes it pretty easy to be in the conversation.

seems like a lot of the future recruits should have been easy gets bc of either location, family, or connections.

Can we say that Grand Rapids is a joke for a host city. 1900 for attendance and bad ice. They put their eggs in Michigan's basket and when they didn't make it, this was bad news. Talk about an embarrassing regional. We need these back on campus sites.

Can we say that Grand Rapids is a joke for a host city. 1900 for attendance and bad ice. They put their eggs in Michigan's basket and when they didn't make it, this was bad news. Talk about an embarrassing regional. We need these back on campus sites.

The ice did look bad

I won't disrespect fans for backing Hakstol, but at some point you have to wonder what will it take to finally reach our goal. Year after year it's the same story with our team: "We ran into a hot goalie," "We were outplayed," "We were out coached," or "The other team was faster."

Not sure if our fan base hasn't realized the constant excuses we make, but it all comes down to coaching, IMO. Whether Hak needs to go or not, some coaching restructuring needs to be done after another disappointing post season.

Funny how Omaha with Johnson and Blais were horrible down the stretch, and not just one really bad game.

Haha because Omaha really had everything und offers....good one. Are u saying blais can't coach??? I wonder what Hak would do in Omaha

Agree with that. I have issues with our breakout and our attack. Cycle is fine if you eventually get the puck to the net...didn't do that today...

Agreed. Is that a product of the coaching philosophy or the lack of execution of the players on the ice?