SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. COLORADO COLLEGE - Thursday Final 5 7pm

AZSIOUX

You can absolutely fault him on the final goal. He was on his knees, and out of position which allowed the deflection to go in. Have you ever seen a goalie hit his knees on a point shot BEFORE the puck is fired? Every single goal was at least partially his fault. The first one, he was chasing a forward for some reason. The second one he was out of position again and backing up giving the breakaway shooter the advantage, the third one was a disaster and unacceptable, and I just mentioned the fourth. Saunders needs to be benched. Zane is the future of that position, and while he too has had some inconsistencies, he has also been the steadier of the two in the second half. Although our defense has been a let down all year, and that attributed to the loss, ultimately our goalie is our last line of defense and last night Saunders failed.

I don't think the last goal was his fault....the wing should have been out there in the first place. Also, the break away goal can't be put on him either. The 1st and third goals were terrible though....all his fault (especially the third goal 100%).

Honestly the defense hasn't been that bad lately, since the Minnesota series they only gave up 30 goals in 15 games (not counting last night), and quite a few of those were the softies our goalies seem to give up once a game.

The bigger problem lately has been the soft goal every game from both goalies and the inability to find working lines, now we're going into the NCAA tournament and the top 2 lines are question marks, that is not what you want at this stage.

What I've been wondering is why can we not get these ridiculous goalies that other teams seem to have? When was the last time we were the team with the hot goalie? It seems like Denver always finds brick wall like goaltenders and how does Kato get a guy like Williams? We need to figure something out to find big time goalies. I do realize that Zane is supposed to be really good and was highly rated but we should have stuck with him through the rough nights that all fr have and turned him into a seasoned vet come tourney time.

Good one...pretty original. How long did it take you to come up with that one Einstein? Think harder next time buddy....actually come up with something good.

No need, none of your posts are original. Every single one is the same old tired..."average team" "no talent" "going nowhere" post.

I sometimes think you have the same post saved in Word and just copy/paste it on here after every loss. :)

• Upvote 3

What I've been wondering is why can we not get these ridiculous goalies that other teams seem to have? When was the last time we were the team with the hot goalie? It seems like Denver always finds brick wall like goaltenders and how does Kato get a guy like Williams? We need to figure something out to find big time goalies. I do realize that Zane is supposed to be really good and was highly rated but we should have stuck with him through the rough nights that all fr have and turned him into a seasoned vet come tourney time.

I honestly think with a little work Zane will be a stud. He seems to make a lot of great saves but gives up a few sofites too. I still think Zane should play over Saunders, but I am slightly uncomfortable with both.

No need, none of your posts are original. Every single one is the same old tired..."average team" "no talent" "going nowhere" post.

I sometimes think you have the same post saved in Word and just copy/paste it on here after every loss. :)

My initial post came after the game that I thought we should have one....sorry for being slightly pissed. I still think you need to work on your trash talking though.

in recent memory has a sioux ever entered the national tournament with this many questions, wow.

I said the same thing last night, seems like it is Christmas break with all of these questions! Still looking for answers on the lines and in net. Hopefully the next combination will be "the one".

• Upvote 1

I always thought Mark McMillan played the best with Knight and Kristo. I think its because he's fast enough to play with Danny, and not small enough to get rubbed out like Rocco kinda did against Bemidiji. As for goalies, idk, do you just go with whoever has the best week of practice? Not the time of the year you wanna say that, but what else do you do? Legitimate question, as I am not an elite hockey mind.

I always thought Mark McMillan played the best with Knight and Kristo. I think its because he's fast enough to play with Danny, and not small enough to get rubbed out like Rocco kinda did against Bemidiji. As for goalies, idk, do you just go with whoever has the best week of practice? Not the time of the year you wanna say that, but what else do you do? Legitimate question, as I am not an elite hockey mind.

I agree with you and think that MacMillan has looked the best on that line and wouldn't mind see him going back their either. I think that may be what happens with the goalie too and Hak will just kind of go with who looks the best in practice all week and maybe even just go with his gut feeling a little bit.

No way was that OT goal on Clark...I won't make excuses for two of his goals (#1 and #3 were garbage), but I was sitting directly in line from Clark to the shooter. I said to my buddy "lot of traffic out there" and as soon I said it the deflection went in. He had no chance, not even positionally perfect goaltending stops that deflection of a body.

No way was that OT goal on Clark...I won't make excuses for two of his goals (#1 and #3 were garbage), but I was sitting directly in line from Clark to the shooter. I said to my buddy "lot of traffic out there" and as soon I said it the deflection went in. He had no chance, not even positionally perfect goaltending stops that deflection of a body.

That goal was on the two forwards that each went to the other point man and left whatever his name was with an open look at alot of bodies in front of the net. If one of them goes at him maybe the shot is blocked or passed up.

That goal was on the two forwards that each went to the other point man and left whatever his name was with an open look at alot of bodies in front of the net. If one of them goes at him maybe the shot is blocked or passed up.

Which you might say is due to a lack of solidified lines? If I am being shuffled from center to left wing to right wing routinely, I might lose track of which man I have- especially the wingers- do I have left point or right point? Oh sh$t wrong one... and tournament appearance over.

Which you might say is due to a lack of solidified lines? If I am being shuffled from center to left wing to right wing routinely, I might lose track of which man I have- especially the wingers- do I have left point or right point? Oh sh$t wrong one... and tournament appearance over.

That could be but I still don't get how two guys would skate away from the puck instead of two guys skating toward the puck which would make more sense.

Seems like almost every time the sioux got the puck last night cc was on them challenging them, now why don't the sioux do that especially on the pk. In ot cc gets the puck in there zone and the sioux players got right back on defence and let cc skate right out of their zone. I think we need to stop getting defencemen that go in the first round and we need to find another goalie like Goerhing!

I don't blame this loss on saunders, he didn't help the cause but if you go 0-6 against the worst pk in the league you have some issues. 1-6 would have won the game. it came down to special teams and ours weren't very special at all.

This...^^^^^^^^

Add in the fact you give up a PPG plus a shorty and that's why the bus is on I94 heading west right now.

• Upvote 1

Only other time I've been so disgusted in a tourney loss I've witnessed live was Frozen 4 a** kicking in Denver by BC.

We at least played well vs. Michigan at F4 at the X. That was disappointing and losing to Gophs at X during NCAA regional was not a huge surprise last year

I don't blame this loss on saunders, he didn't help the cause but if you go 0-6 against the worst pk in the league you have some issues. 1-6 would have won the game. it came down to special teams and ours weren't very special at all.

I wouldn't put the loss on just one thing but two of the major reasons were Saunders play and the powerplay being as bad as it was. You could turn it the other way too and say if Saunders makes the save on CC's 3rd goal on the wrist shot from just inside the blue line we win too. My brother who is a Gopher fan told me after that game if Gothberg is in the net the Sioux win that game and he thought Gothberg would have probably stopped every goal Clark gave up in regulation and I didn't disagree with him at all on that point.