SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. COLORADO COLLEGE - Thursday Final 5 7pm

AZSIOUX

Every time MacWilliam makes a big hit I get nervous that it'll be a penalty, that's where we are at in the league.

I agree, it is extremely frustrating. Let them play. They all know and accept the risk of injury by playing the game. Does anyone know if they have announced the refs for the NCHC yet? We are not going to get any old WCHA refs are we? If Derek Shepherd, Todd Anderson, or Marco Hunt go over. I may lose my mind. BUT, being away from Bruce McLeod will be the greatest thing in the new league (that and being with no doubt the toughest league)

Thought that UND really controlled tonight's game. Aside from a couple issues that Gleason ran into and the 3rd CC goal that Saunders would want back, UND really dominated that game. Some great extended pressure and chances that Howe came up big on or just missed.

I'm not sure if I would start Saunders or Gothberg for the first NCAA game, as both have shown the tendency to give up a soft goal or two each game.

And I agree with others...watching the top line with Rocco on it during stretches tonight is fun to watch. That line would flourish if left to play all game together. Move OD down and Cagguila up.

We'll see how this "new" approach works for the Sioux. Instead of running the table at the F5, let's see if they can run the table in the NCAA's instead.

Time for the real season to begin. Get Joe back on track and hope that one goalie solidifies their position in the week of practice.

Go Sioux!

My thoughts tonight after the loss is might as well lose now when we still can. We got to learn from our mistakes and come out fired up during for the NCAA tourney and play like we know we can. Not the end of the world although it does make a long weekend for all the Sioux fans like me in St. Paul for the weekend. Go Sioux

we cant expect to go far giving up bad goals. if so, we need special teams to be there. tonight it wasn't. first few pp's wern't bad. had chances. but the rest were terrible. 1st goal, whiffed on clearing attempt and you could also say that mabye saunders was a little out of position. second goal, was shorthanded breakaway. 3rd goal, cant give up those ones. it looked harmless. 4th was a deflection, what are you gonna do, thats how it goes.

hopefully special teams is a hot topic in practice next week. overall und wasnt terrible. but made a few bad mistakes, and the opposition scored. cant have any of that come tourney time.

Anyone who watched that game saw what happened in the third period when UND needed a goal and tied the game. Rocco went up with the top unit and Mark went with Rowney and Parks. Thats when UND got a ton of momentum. After watching those units together I'm now in the load up the top two and have Drake play with Pattyn and St. Clair. The other line can be anyone....just don't get scored on. Its one and done time now in the college hockey world for North Dakota.

I watched from C30...you are spot on. "3rd" line of Connor centering Mitch and OD if this love affair with OD continues with Hak. I think Knights recent struggle coincide w OD on wing. Again Kristo scores on a very good individual play. AZSioux used term "spoon fed" w OD on that top line. Agree w that!!! If he cannot generate anything w 2 Hobey finalists... Not sure what Hak is seeing especially watching Rocco and Mark Mac in the 3rd on lines 1 and 2. Will be very disappointed if lines stay as is for NCAA.

When a team does not have a solidified #1 goalie or top line at this point a team is in deep trouble IMO. Drake and Colton have the "it" factor...you notice them on the ice. Gonna call out 4 guys that will probably be in lineup next week that have to be way better than as of late...Parks Rowney Gleason Knight.

Inconsistant play w lulls in games coupled with way too many missed chances and horrible miscues end in a result like last night...being the better team that losses on a bounce. Unfortunately it has happen a number of times this season where we outplay a team but let them hang around and eventually get tge L. This team could reel off 4 straight but highly unlikely given my ramblings above.

I watched from C30...you are spot on. "3rd" line of Connor centering Mitch and OD if this love affair with OD continues with Hak. I think Knights recent struggle coincide w OD on wing. Again Kristo scores on a very good individual play. AZSioux used term "spoon fed" w OD on that top line. Agree w that!!! If he cannot generate anything w 2 Hobey finalists... Not sure what Hak is seeing especially watching Rocco and Mark Mac in the 3rd on lines 1 and 2. Will be very disappointed if lines stay as us for NCAA.

When a team does not have a solidified #1 goalie or top line at this point a team is in deep trouble IMO. Drake and Colton have the "it" factor...you notice them on the ice. Gonna call out 4 guys that will probably be in lineup next week that have to be way better than as of late...Parks Rowney Gleason Knight.

Inconsistant play w lulls in games coupled with way too many missed chances and horrible miscues end in a result like last night...being the better team that losses on a bounce. Unfortunately it has happen a number of times this season where we outplay a team but let them hang around and eventually get tge L. This team could reel off 4 straight but highly unlikely given my ramblings above.

I watched from C30...you are spot on. "3rd" line of Connor centering Mitch and OD if this love affair with OD continues with Hak. I think Knights recent struggle coincide w OD on wing. Again Kristo scores on a very good individual play. AZSioux used term "spoon fed" w OD on that top line. Agree w that!!! If he cannot generate anything w 2 Hobey finalists... Not sure what Hak is seeing especially watching Rocco and Mark Mac in the 3rd on lines 1 and 2. Will be very disappointed if lines stay as us for NCAA.

Had a couple of chances to bury them in the second period, but just couldnt buy a goal. I think you're right about OD with Knight. Just doesnt seem to be a lot of chemistry there, and at times last night really seemed to be forced.

Get on the bus, go back to the Forks.

We need to see rocco-knight-kristo and RPM and fill in the rest. Hak seems to realize this but only when we're down by a goal. It's like he knows that's our best option but refuses to use it until we absolutely need it.

After the TV timeout when he changed lines the Sioux were absolutley buzzing. I told my dad, "They went to the seasons on the line lineup". Sure enough, they scored.

Will we see seasons on the line lineup next weekend?

After the TV timeout when he changed lines the Sioux were absolutley buzzing. I told my dad, "They went to the seasons on the line lineup". Sure enough, they scored.

Will we see seasons on the line lineup next weekend?

and then as soon as they scored he went back to the other lineup.

My thoughts tonight after the loss is might as well lose now when we still can. We got to learn from our mistakes and come out fired up during for the NCAA tourney and play like we know we can. Not the end of the world although it does make a long weekend for all the Sioux fans like me in St. Paul for the weekend. Go Sioux

Hey Lovell.....I love this weekend more than anything in college hockey. Losing Thursday stings as it has wreaked my weekend. I get it that getting #8 should be our goal, but to me it's more fun watching the Sioux play live in St. Paul when I can easily get to the games with all our Sioux fans. Instead we have to wait and watch the Sioux play next weekend on some stupid ESPN 3 channel that no one gets, playing in an empty arena, at the time during the day when most people work. I'm bummed.....rather be playing all weekend in St. Paul! Go Sioux! IN HOC!!!

If Brad Berry was brought in to improve the defense it is an epic fail. The defense has been lost all year. On cc third goal why does Mattson keep backing in on a one on one separate the player from the puck then you neutralize the threat no shot. The goalies may need to take a concentration course at UND because they both seem to have brain farts at times. This team has talent,they have the best facilities they need to use all of that.

Kristo-Knight-Rocco

Parks-Rowney-Cagguila

Rodwell-Pattyn-St. Clair

Odonnel-MacMillan-Gaarder

Play the 4th line sparingly. Mac Millan gets power play time and as the game goes along and the benches get shorter move him up to a wing with Rowney's line and move Drake into Rodwells spot on Pattyn's line.

At the end of the game last night I was uncomfortable everytime I saw Gleason or Mark Mac on the ice.

He can be just as inconsistant though. What do the Sioux need to do to get some consistancy in net. A save percentage of just over .800 is not acceptable. However, you cannot fault him for a deflection off his own player, but the break-away could have been different and especially the point shot.

You can absolutely fault him on the final goal. He was on his knees, and out of position which allowed the deflection to go in. Have you ever seen a goalie hit his knees on a point shot BEFORE the puck is fired? Every single goal was at least partially his fault. The first one, he was chasing a forward for some reason. The second one he was out of position again and backing up giving the breakaway shooter the advantage, the third one was a disaster and unacceptable, and I just mentioned the fourth. Saunders needs to be benched. Zane is the future of that position, and while he too has had some inconsistencies, he has also been the steadier of the two in the second half. Although our defense has been a let down all year, and that attributed to the loss, ultimately our goalie is our last line of defense and last night Saunders failed.

Here is what I would like to see going forward for lines:

Grimaldi-Knight-Kristo

Mark Mac-Rowney-Parks

Caggiula-Pattyn-St.Clair

Mitch Mac-Gaarder-Rodwell

D pairings stay the same and Gothberg in net.

I like this lineup. That 3rd line (4th last night) played great last night and would be an awesome 3rd line. It works if Mitch can get dirty enough with that 4th line. He can shoot a little bit which could add a nice dimension to that 4th line.