SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

I highly doubt this shirt was developed by Native Americans or anyone supporting the group that wants the Fighting Sioux name scrubbed from UND. This is just as offensive as the other shirt. It is the basterdizing of the Sioux name that was one of the main reasons this group wanted the nickname to go. I still have a water bottle with the name H-Sioux-O on it when they gave that away after a football game about a dozen years ago all hell broke loose.

Pictures of people in the shirt along with other tweets using a #siouxpersober hashtag are being retweeted and promoted by quite a few people, including one of the most vocal people behind the walk last Friday.

Looks like they were created and being sold by powwowjamz.com

I'm as amazed as you.

Pictures of people in the shirt along with other tweets using a #siouxpersober hashtag are being retweeted and promoted by quite a few people, including one of the most vocal people behind the walk last Friday.

Looks like they were created and being sold by powwowjamz.com

I'm as amazed as you.

I stand corrected however it does appear like the shirt was being used to promote sobriety and if it's being done by Native Americans then we have the double standard again. it's okay for them to do it but not okay for anyone else. Hope the Herald picks up on this.

This has now become a thing and being supported by the some of the same people who are demanding that all Native American imagery be removed from UND's campus. Apparently their understanding of what zero tolerance actually means is a little off. I'd like to say I'm surprised but....

Bn3LzQ2CEAIWZYh.jpg

I thought the name CentralTees was for GF Central since it's their old Redskin logo.

• Upvote 1

What Emmy Scott said about the Sober shirt:

Emmy Scott, former president of the American Indian Studies Association at UND, declined to comment for this story, and other representatives of the association could not be reached Monday.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/435263/

What Emmy Scott said about the Drunk shirt:

Emmy Scott, former president of the Indian Studies Association, organized the event planned for Friday and said she wants to have the university officially denounce the now-retired Fighting Sioux logo, make racial sensitivity training mandatory for incoming students and ban the Fighting Sioux logo from all academic settings, among other things.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/434691/

What Emmy Scott said about the Sober shirt:

http://www.inforum.c...icle/id/435263/

What Emmy Scott said about the Drunk shirt:

http://www.inforum.c...icle/id/434691/

Raise your hand if you are not suprised by Ms. Scott's lack of comments on the Siouxper Sober shirts...................................<seeing no hands raised>....................................let's move on then.

• Upvote 2

I'm gettin' dizzy from the new spin ...

It is really quite hilarious to see this new take on the new shirts with the exact same logo. This is why Scott, Jeanotte, Archambault, et al have minimal credibility outside of their own little "world". Hilarious to see yet truly pathetic at the same time.

It is really quite hilarious to see this new take on the new shirts with the exact same logo. This is why Scott, Jeanotte, Archambault, et al have minimal credibility outside of their own little "world". Hilarious to see yet truly pathetic at the same time.

Plus the shirts worn are from a couple from Mt. Pleasant, home of the Central Michigan Chippewas. How come they aren't outraged at the Chippewas wearing these shirts, or making them.

The nickname opponents got what they wanted; now they are exploiting every opportunity to dance in the end-zone (and on our faces). And when they provoke a backlash (which is bound to happen if they keep pushing this), they'll scream and cry "racism", "bigotry" and whatever else they can come up with.

Is anyone else as sick of this whole issue as I am? ???

Officially - no. Unofficially it will never go away.

I think this may be a little more in question now. The recent kerfuffle over the off-campus t-shirts resulted in tribe officials as much as saying they recognize the t-shirts are likely protected speech and that it occurred off campus, but they want the university to suspend the students anyway. Not sure how they think that is a reasonable, or even legal, outcome to what should be a relatively minor issue, and they seem to be working to build ill will between the tribes and the students.

There will be a proud history of athletic achievement under the Sioux name, but I can foresee goodwill toward the name in general continuing to deteriorate.

Archambault and others said they worried the lack of immediate action could send a message encouraging similar behavior in the future. He said he doesn’t “want the students to think that they can hide behind the law.”

Again I don't see a law that was broken, unless they're talking about the law of public opinion.

Native American UND students are considering filing a grievance with the Office of Civil Rights, and possibly informing tribes to not send students to the university, said Leigh Jeanotte of UND’s American Indian Student Services.

How has their civil rights been violated?

Again I don't see a law that was broken, unless they're talking about the law of public opinion.

How has their civil rights been violated?

No breaking of the law, and no civil rights violation, no matter how badly the bed wetters feel aggrieved. Then again, "professional victims" always feel pissed off about something.

Expel these clowns? I'd love to sue that one out.

• Upvote 1

I think he means he doesn't want students to think they can hide behind the 1st Amendment. You know, that pesky little 1st Amendment.

Expel these clowns? I'd love to sue that one out.

Let me translate what Scott just said for the rest of you:

"I'd love to retire on my own private island, with Bill Gates as my cabana boy and Warren Buffet as my bartender, on my portion of the settlement of that one."

The original t-shirts were a really bad idea. One thing to have a little fun in your own back yard but in the current climate just not a good idea to wear out in public, or worse yet, throw it out on the internet.

As for these new shirts, I don't see the issue. I know there was criticism of using the nickname, but certainly the real issue was the connotation of the drunk NA. If it hadn't been for that, I doubt anyone would have cared. People wear Sioux gear all over without it raising this sort of ruckus, so it was the imagery that was the problem.

The original t-shirts were a really bad idea. One thing to have a little fun in your own back yard but in the current climate just not a good idea to wear out in public, or worse yet, throw it out on the internet.

As for these new shirts, I don't see the issue. I know there was criticism of using the nickname, but certainly the real issue was the connotation of the drunk NA. If it hadn't been for that, I doubt anyone would have cared. People wear Sioux gear all over without it raising this sort of ruckus, so it was the imagery that was the problem.

The shirt isn't the issue.

I think the bigger issue is that the support for those shirts are coming from the same people who not too long ago stood in front of Twamley and called for zero tolerance for any logos used and saying they are people, not mascots. Which is of course why I feel zero tolerance rules does more bad than good.

• Upvote 4

Okay but if a group of students were to show up at any UND event wearing the Siouxper Sober shirts - I think there would be a ruckus. What if they were shown on Facebook wearing the Siouxper Sober shots and taking shots at a local bar? Perhaps everyone should get a Siouxper Sober shirt and we should have a Siouxper Sober night at a hockey game next year - think there would be any double standard there?

Okay but if a group of students were to show up at any UND event wearing the Siouxper Sober shirts - I think there would be a ruckus. What if they were shown on Facebook wearing the Siouxper Sober shots and taking shots at a local bar? Perhaps everyone should get a Siouxper Sober shirt and we should have a Siouxper Sober night at a hockey game next year - think there would be any double standard there?

Oh my gosh, I have a Siouxper headache pondering all those issues and possible repercussions...