SiouxSports.com Forum

Soooooo time to move on..... NAU game this week

geaux_sioux

I'll stick with my no punting philosophy. If they are near midfield, out of field goal range they need to go for it. This defense is just as good at giving up TD's on 99 yard fields as they are at 45 yard fields. It just doesn't matter where they're at on the field.

i was sickened in the last quarter i think was 3rd and 17 and our cb play off the ball 15 yards. omg is d coaches effin dumb or what... press them... there wr got wide iopen and then 4th and 1 bauman goes untouached for the first down. we need to make a change at d coordinator.

where is tim tibesar these days

i was sickened in the last quarter i think was 3rd and 17 and our cb play off the ball 15 yards. omg is d coaches effin dumb or what... press them... there wr got wide iopen and then 4th and 1 bauman goes untouached for the first down. we need to make a change at d coordinator.

Purdue

In my opinion, the game was lost when we had them 3rd and 1 in their territory with momentum on our side. Pass, Punt. While we had a great punt, we put our defense on the field to give up a backbreaking drive. We make this first down and potentially score and it's a different game. This call is vintage Mussman.

He's making $250k at Purdue

So your genius idea is to do press coverage on 3rd and very long? They need 17 yards, why try and stop short routes that won't get them a first down? You play 15 yards off to cover the sticks, the things is you shouldn't let them by you for a 23 yard gain, thats the point of playing off like that. Press coverage on 3rd and 17 is asking the offense to burn you and is just stupid unless you have some legit big shutdown corners like LSU. I get that people are frustrated with the loss and the defense in particular but at least if you're going to arm chair coach put some logic behind it if at all possible. Asking for press coverage on 3rd and long is plain stupid.

• Upvote 4

I just re watched some of the game. I stand by my comment to Fire Mussman, well sort of. Perhaps an assistant or two needs firing, but SOMEONE needs to go, there are some major problems right now.

A few thoughts:

What was with UND calling timeouts at the end of the first half when they were inside the 30 yd line? Run that clock down so NAU doesn't get it back, make THEM use THEIR timeouts at least!

The 3rd and 1 call in the 4th quarter. If you are gonna throw it, you have to be ready to go for it on 4th and 1 and run for the first down, not run the punting team out there! Sutton was getting chunks of yardage, give him the ball and extend the drive. Our best defense was having our offense on the field.

The savage hit on Brayden Hanson was a helmet to helmet shot that should have been flagged, UND would have kept the ball.

I think UND has the talent, or close to the talent that some of these other teams have. I see motivation issues and odd coaching calls. And I am sick of it.

Two very big missed calls IMO. On the 3rd & 1 play, NAU was trying to run a guy off the field, he didn't make it before the ball was snapped. Should have been an too many men penalty that wasn't called and there's no reason for that. The guy running off was coming directly at the head linesman. Blatant no call.

The hit on Hanson was head-hunting, pure and simple. The guy went high with the purpose of doing damage and they did, looking like they knocked him out on the play. With all the emphasis on calling contact to the head, that was a clear no-brainer. Penalty on NAU, UND keeps the ball and picks up 15 yards instead of fumbling the ball and giving a very short field to NAU.

Those are two horrible miss-calls that had a major impact on the game. Our defense still sucked, so not saying those calls lost us the game, but they certainly took away chances.

So your genius idea is to do press coverage on 3rd and very long? They need 17 yards, why try and stop short routes that won't get them a first down? You play 15 yards off to cover the sticks, the things is you shouldn't let them by you for a 23 yard gain, thats the point of playing off like that. Press coverage on 3rd and 17 is asking the offense to burn you and is just stupid unless you have some legit big shutdown corners like LSU. I get that people are frustrated with the loss and the defense in particular but at least if you're going to arm chair coach put some logic behind it if at all possible. Asking for press coverage on 3rd and long is plain stupid.

I read that and thought the same thing.. unfortunately the UND defense has given up a large number of 3rd and very long plays this year and then when they do finally stop them on a play with 5 missed tackles you give up a face mask for a automatic first down. You can not make up the stuff we are seeing on defense this year.

The hit on Hanson was head-hunting, pure and simple. The guy went high with the purpose of doing damage and they did, looking like they knocked him out on the play. With all the emphasis on calling contact to the head, that was a clear no-brainer. Penalty on NAU, UND keeps the ball and picks up 15 yards instead of fumbling the ball and giving a very short field to NAU.

I agree with you it did look like the defensive player was hunting on that play. It will be interesting to see if the Big Sky suspends the player. I believe that they have suspended multiple players this year. Last week it was four players.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/10/09/big-sky-suspends-four-players/

I read that and thought the same thing.. unfortunately the UND defense has given up a large number of 3rd and very long plays this year and then when they do finally stop them on a play with 5 missed tackles you give up a face mask for a automatic first down. You can not make up the stuff we are seeing on defense this year.

The play that was a microcosm of the entire year on defense is when we have two guys, one on each side, of Bauman and they run into eachother with him in the middle and bounce off and fall down instead of stuffing him for a huge loss, something like 20 yards later they have a first down. I just about had an aneurism from that play.... unreal

The play that was a microcosm of the entire year on defense is when we have two guys, one on each side, of Bauman and they run into eachother with him in the middle and bounce off and fall down instead of stuffing him for a huge loss, something like 20 yards later they have a first down. I just about had an aneurism from that play.... unreal

you and me both... and thats just it. Many times the players are in position to make the plays and they just don't get it done. Players in the hole in position unblocked ready to make the tackle and they don't even touch the running back ... QB sneaks for 3 or 4 yards on the goal line or when you have then pinned down. It is unreal. On a postive note, I have been impressed by both of the JC safeties - they have made some plays this year and are looking better each game.

you and me both... and thats just it. Many times the players are in position to make the plays and they just don't get it done. Players in the hole in position unblocked ready to make the tackle and they don't even touch the running back ... QB sneaks for 3 or 4 yards on the goal line or when you have then pinned down. It is unreal. On a postive note, I have been impressed by both of the JC safeties - they have made some plays this year and are looking better each game.

Lewis looked comfortable for the first time yesterday, he must have the feel for the calls now and doesn't have to think to play. Yesterday most tacklers were either trying to grab at the shoulder pads of the RB (which will never word in college ever) or just throw a shoulder hockey style into a RB who is either spinning or leaning into it and bouncing off. Not too many times did a guy explode through the hips of the runner with his arms around the legs..... thats on the players

This shows the difficulty of finding a defensive scheme that works when you just plain don't have the talent. Play tight and they go around you - play loose and they pick you apart. Add some missed tackles and you have a team that gives up 500+. I felt that they came out with some passion on Saturday, but that will only take you so far. The tackling was once again atrocious. I have never seen a team tackle so poorly. I think that all of the defense knows how to tackle. However, it looks like they just can't play at the speed of the Big Sky. Doesn't matter what the D coordinator does, he can't make these guys into DI talent. This is going to be a long fix. I hope we don't lose game atmosphere and fan enthusiasm before we get squared away.

Ahem. Perhaps you didn't even notice he Bauman was out with some type of injury in the 2nd quarter. When Bauman was out, the NAU offens was not as versatile, allowing the defense to key more on passing, and consequently, UND madea move up.

The idea of Bauman being out of the game was real, not hypothetical.

I didn't claim it was hypothetical...I questioned the relevance. We all understand that, without your team's best player, yes, you probably have a very good chance of looking good by comparison and an increased chance of winning the game. What exactly do you do with that as a coach, player, or fan? Hope your opponents don't show up with their best line up? Go the Saints route and get a bounty system in place? If your program can't win against your opponents' starting line up, you just have to get better yourself. That this is even in our thought process shows that we are either still talent poor in very key areas or are getting out schemed or both .

Didn't mean to jump down your throat, frustration is setting in. Sorry. :crazy:

I doubt it'll make you feel any better but Bauman has been doing that against multiple teams this year...not just UND. He's that kind of running back. Reminds me of Barry Sanders turning 5 yard losses into 15 yard gains.

UND fans -

Don't give up on your team. For years, it was the same in Flagstaff. A good offense or a good defense but rarely both. Close games but somehow finding a way to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory. Pissed off fans left and right calling for Coach Souers head on a platter.

Hanson was calm and collected and that run-and-gun passing offense of yours is a thing of beauty. Your o-line was good also. Your defense needs some work. That's putting it nicely. But either quitting on this team (no longer supporting em) or booing them certainly won't help motivate a bunch of 18-23 year old kids. The number of injuries faced by your defense can't be easy to overcome.

NAU's announcer commented on how loud it was in the Alerus. That is a beneficial factor. Don't forget that or discount it. Bring the noise.

The U of M are young, inexperienced and a bit down this year. MSU is talented but has shown flaws. Neither are quite as dominant as a few of their internet fans think. UND offense plays like they did Saturday and they have a shot at a few wins here on out.

Good luck. I'd enjoy chatting if any of you head down south to the Flagstaff game next year. I plan on driving up the mountain for that one.

• Upvote 1

Which hotshot offensive player for Montana will gash our defense next week? I think someone should put up a poll on that. That's the only thing we can entertain ourselves with at this point.

Montana is really struggling. I you could get something put together on D this could be a competative game. And it still may be even if the D doesn't get it together.

CMSioux -

Your post is what I've seen from NAU's football team over the the last few years. Close games, players graduating and staying out of the limelight, lots of community outreach by the team and other positives. The only thing missing over that time period was a few more wins mixed in. I'm happy that NAU is seeing some success but I can't justify selling a program's soul for the W's.

A few posters here have suggested that NAU is due for their late season collapse (must have been reading egriz). I hope I'm wrong but I don't see it happening this season. Lumberjacks teams in the past would roll over and die after getting blasted by ASU or being down early vs. UNLV and Montana. Adversity has been faced and overcome this season. If UND wins on Saturday, it will be because your guys are the better team. Not because NAU lacked necessary intestinal fortitude. NAU may not be a good team "historically" but they are good this season.

NAU is a run first team that utilizes the pass when the other team stacks the box. I have no doubt that Bauman should be playing at U of A or ASU. They messed up in not recruiting him. Screw em. I'm thrilled he's a Lumberjack and realize running backs of his caliber are a rare blessing for an FCS team. Grossart has been efficient and doesn't play outside of his abilities. Turnovers and penalties have been limited and special teams have been a pleasant surprise. Shanks has had a great season with returns and new young kicker and punter are performing well. Defense's best attribute is depth. Atleticism in the secondary is markedly improved.

Sad that I was unable to make it to North Dakota to visit relatives and check out my alma mater @ Alerus. Good luck, UND fans. Go Jacks!

Ran into a few NAU fans - I think we fed them well and made them feel welcome - the cheap shot on our quarterback near the end of the game was tough to take he was on his way down and it was an obvious attempt to injure, (no flag but the intent was obvious) just one player so not holding against the entire team.

UND fans -

Don't give up on your team. For years, it was the same in Flagstaff. A good offense or a good defense but rarely both. Close games but somehow finding a way to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory. Pissed off fans left and right calling for Coach Souers head on a platter.

Hanson was calm and collected and that run-and-gun passing offense of yours is a thing of beauty. Your o-line was good also. Your defense needs some work. That's putting it nicely. But either quitting on this team (no longer supporting em) or booing them certainly won't help motivate a bunch of 18-23 year old kids. The number of injuries faced by your defense can't be easy to overcome.

NAU's announcer commented on how loud it was in the Alerus. That is a beneficial factor. Don't forget that or discount it. Bring the noise.

The U of M are young, inexperienced and a bit down this year. MSU is talented but has shown flaws. Neither are quite as dominant as a few of their internet fans think. UND offense plays like they did Saturday and they have a shot at a few wins here on out.

Good luck. I'd enjoy chatting if any of you head down south to the Flagstaff game next year. I plan on driving up the mountain for that one.

I actually do plan on attending that game, and thanks for the positive comments.

Well, the defense is horrible and that is the reason we are going to have a losing record this season. As far as Mussman's job, I don't think Faison will let him go after only one Big Sky season, unfortunately. I have always disliked Mussman's coaching demeanor and attitude in general (doesn’t portray the confidence and leadership a good head coach needs), but I've held off him since last year when we had a winning season against mediocre-at-best teams. If Mussman wants to have this job for the long term, he needs to bring in alot of defensive talent and CHANGE UP THE DEFENSIVE COACHING STAFF.

Ultimately, I don't see anything in Mussman and this game is not really the tipping point. Compared to other good to great coaches, he just doesn't have it. To true UND football fans, I don't think anything right now would energize the program more than a new solid, tough-minded head football coach.

• Upvote 1

4 and 7 on the year is how I'm reading things. Hello hockey season.

4 and 7 is a legitimate possibility, but keep in mind that the only game we haven't had a chance to win going half way into the 4th quarter is the EWU game. The D-line appears to playing better over the past couple of weeks as far as getting some penetration/pressure, and we can definitely score some points. I wonder if the defense just plain doesn't have the speed needed to compete with the top teams in the Big Sky...

I guess I had unrealistic expectations for how this team would do after we beat PSU and played with SDSU. We may only win a game or two from here on out, but from what I saw yesterday I think we can expect that we have a fighting chance in all of these games, and for our first year in the big sky, I can live with that. I don't think last year's team would be accomplishing what this year's team is showing if they had to play to the same schedule - we are improving and will continue to do so.

• Upvote 1