SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 3 UND at the big SDSU

geaux_sioux

What makes them decent? Their only win before you guys was to a winless army team, they got Rolled in the first half by a not good Washington team who's only other win was a blowout of Portland St

Face it SDSU is not decent

Both U Dub and SDSU will play in bowl games...CSU will not.

This is not true. You must be .500 to get invited.

UND has to get their defense fixed or bad things are going to continue to happen.

All UND needs to do is have our high flying offense stumble and we are done. We need to get a running game going and get the defense better somehow.

We were suppost to lose this game, and doing so doesn't change the idea that we are in the running for the playoffs. Muss will find the way to get the defense back on the good page, and the running game will come. Miller and sutton are pretty good. They will sooner or later brake through.

We were suppost to lose this game, and doing so doesn't change the idea that we are in the running for the playoffs. Muss will find the way to get the defense back on the good page, and the running game will come. Miller and sutton are pretty good. They will sooner or later brake through.

I picked UND to lose I expect only 1 maybe 2 more losses (MSU, and maybe EWU) but if we can't play defense it could get ugly very quick. You can't have shootouts like this all the time this isn't the 1980's WAC games.

If UND can't play defense they won't do anything significant all year. If you are in a tight ballgame every week, you will lose some of them. Miller and Sutton can't run if noone makes them holes.

Sam Houston st can, watch the Baylor game from last night, they are damn good, and fast hung right in with a good Baylor team

Hung right in? They jumped them and were up 20-10 and then got outscored 38-3 in the 2nd half.....I am just questioning the hung right in statement, not arguing about how good Sam Houston St. is as I think they are again the most talented team in FCS.

What makes them decent? Their only win before you guys was to a winless army team, they got Rolled in the first half by a not good Washington team who's only other win was a blowout of Portland St

Time will tell. You sound like that tyson jorstad douche from the espn board. Next week SDSu plays San Jose State, who just rolled a bad CSU team 40 - 20. I would be willing to bet SDSU takes care of San Jose by at least 20 points. Also, CSU's only win was against a terrible CU team who just got killed by Fresno by like 50+ points. Just face it, SDSU is a legit team. Now back to the shed tool.

Hung right in? They jumped them and were up 20-10 and then got outscored 38-3 in the 2nd half.....I am just questioning the hung right in statement, not arguing about how good Sam Houston St. is as I think they are again the most talented team in FCS.

Did you watch? They were 23-24 for a long time, then Bell flung a couple INT's, one that resulted in a pick 6 as the clock ticked to zero, the game was never out of reach for SHSU and stupid mental mistakes cost them, not talent or speed lack there of

Time will tell. You sound like that tyson jorstad douche from the espn board. Next week SDSu plays San Jose State, who just rolled a bad CSU team 40 - 20. I would be willing to bet SDSU takes care of San Jose by at least 20 points. Also, CSU's only win was against a terrible CU team who just got killed by Fresno by like 50+ points. Just face it, SDSU is a legit team. Now back to the shed tool.

Twist how you want they are not legit

I thought most of the line is the same this year as last year. Why wouldn't they be able to face the problem. Deff may be a little harder. Either way I can't wait to see north dakopta play Northern Col.

Hopefully that game will have some playoff implications for North Dakota. I look forward to it also.

I thought most of the line is the same this year as last year. Why wouldn't they be able to face the problem. Deff may be a little harder. Either way I can't wait to see north dakopta play Northern Col.

Playing against real teams now maybe? I kid I kid. I too figured UND would be able to run the rock pretty well and slow down the running game as well.

The problems on defense right now are poor tackling and poor discipline. Those are fixable issues and those are issues that the coaching staff is responsible for. It is absolutely inconceivable that we can recruit good talent for the offense and the special teams, but can't recruit well for defense. Whatever we are doing on defense isn't working, whether it's the schemes, how these guys are being taught in practice or whatever it is. I am so sick and tired of watching us give up 30-40+ points per game and getting told by some people that "we just ran into a darn good football team out there". If you have a solid defense, you won't give up 30-40+ points per game and right now the defense is pure cannon fodder. We have to get back to the snarling attitude of the early 2000's when we didn't like giving up 1st downs, let alone touchdowns.

The problems on defense right now are poor tackling and poor discipline. Those are fixable issues and those are issues that the coaching staff is responsible for. It is absolutely inconceivable that we can recruit good talent for the offense and the special teams, but can't recruit well for defense. Whatever we are doing on defense isn't working, whether it's the schemes, how these guys are being taught in practice or whatever it is. I am so sick and tired of watching us give up 30-40+ points per game and getting told by some people that "we just ran into a darn good football team out there". If you have a solid defense, you won't give up 30-40+ points per game and right now the defense is pure cannon fodder. We have to get back to the snarling attitude of the early 2000's when we didn't like giving up 1st downs, let alone touchdowns.

It's not an excuse for the tackling but they don't teach tackling in college that's for high school and pop warner. When you go to a college you're supposed to know how to tackle, they can't waste valuable practice time on form tackling. It was on the players for making it an issue but now on the coaches to fix it.

It's not an excuse for the tackling but they don't teach tackling in college that's for high school and pop warner. When you go to a college you're supposed to know how to tackle, they can't waste valuable practice time on form tackling. It was on the players for making it an issue but now on the coaches to fix it.

Tackling has gotten poorer at all levels of the game, so I guess it shouldn't surprise me that much. I also think tackling is tougher at the FCS level than it was at the high school level for these guys. Whatever it is, it has to be fixed and soon. I just have a hard time believing that we are loaded on offense and have great special teams, but don't have any talent on defense. This whole thing doesn't add up.

"Can't waste valuable practice time"?? Did u watch the last 2 games? Tackling without question was the main reason we lost last night and was the reason we almost lost vs PSU. If it's not fixed it'll cost us at a minimum 2 more games.

Schemes and coverages won't produce jack if we don't bring someone's a88 to the ground once in awhile.

Although UND lost, they seemed to have gained some respect from the SDSU fans, most of whom predicted a blow out...AztecMesa - UND thoughts

They probably have the best passing game of any team we play this year.

AztecMesa - UND board

They have a lot to be proud of. Good team and a decent turnout for them, considering the lower level division and length of travel.

We'll see how the two teams records shake out at the end of the year. Deal?

That's fine as of today's Sagarin rankings:

San Diego St (70) 2-1

Wins- Army (126), North Dakota (132)

Loses- Washington (52)

Up next- San Jose St (72)

Colorado St (131) 1-2

Wins- Colorado (153)

Loses- North Dakota St (60), San Jose St (72)

Up next- Utah St (51)

Essentially both have won and lost to the teams they were supposed to on paper and I should add I'm posting this in good fun

After thinking about last night's game, I thought of the following:

-The 3rd string QB coming out of spring practice started and played the entire game.

-The offensive line was missing one of its best players (and it has had a noticeable impact on the running game).

-The defense was missing its top corner, winner of a couple awards last season (and the pass defense is definitely showing the impact).

Despite those key losses, UND had the ball with a chance to tie it at the end of the game. And didn't. But I like the comments from the team that it wasn't enough, they weren't happy with almost. The coaching staff feels the same way. I know the fans do. The win will come against an FBS team, but it will have to wait until 2014 or 2015 (San Jose State and Wyoming). Time to focus on what is more important: the conference season. 2-1 was what most people expected to be 3 weeks into the season and that was before Hansen went down. Now it is time to see what this team can do. If the defense can figure it out and play like they can (that includes improvement in both tackling by the players and schemes by the coaches), this team can make some noise. Teams have no choice but to respect the passing game, and that should help open up the run game. Time for UND to introduce itself to the Big Sky.