SiouxSports.com Forum

Todd Hoffner

UND92,96

After all this guy has been through these players are out of line - obviously there is loyalty to the coach they've had for the last two years but guess what life wasn't fair to Todd either. If they don't want to play for him then those scholarships will be put to good use in the future - it was going to be turmoil regardless - just seems so unfair after what he and his wife have gone through.

Really? All the blame for this mess lies at the feet of MSU administration. They have screwed this whole thing up from the start and have thrown everyone's lives into a blender. Also, I think one of the more hypocritical aspects of college sports is that coaches can move around all they want, while the players are supposed to just suck it up no matter what. That needs to change. I think a waiver of the one season sit out rule for transfers is in order here. Any player that no longer wants to put up with the three-ring circus MSU administration has built in Mankato can transfer to a different school and be eligible immediately. The sooner everyone moves on with their lives, the better.

• Upvote 2

A businessman in Mankato I know well and is tied in with the good ole boys there said he heard that Mankato is trying to put the best possible offer in the table for Horner to live comfortably for rest of his life

Who the hell is Homer?

I agree that Hoffner got screwed over before anyone else did. I don't think anyone in their right mind would disagree. However, how many people did Hoffner screw over by retaking the Mankato job? He took a job at Minot State, recruited and started practice with his new players and then up and left. Made promises to his new players and administration and then left without a word. I have friends that play at Minot State and he didn't even address the team. He left without saying a word to any of them. A school gives you a chance at redemption and you leave them via email? That is garbage. As far as his Mankato players not wanting to play for him, I have no issue with that. They developed a relationship with their new coach and that's who they want to play for. They didn't ask for Hoffner to get fired before but they had to adjust and they did. Hoffner didn't recruit the freshman and sophomores at Mankato but now they are required to play for someone that they have never even met? How is that fair to them?

In summary, yes, Hoffner got shafted as much as anyone that you will ever see. That does not justify his actions over the past week. I find it ironic that the school handled the entire situation so poorly and its followed up by Hoffner himself handling a different situation poorly. If Hoffner still ends up leaving Mankato because the players don't want him there then what? I don't think Minot State would take him back because they are pissed. In my opinion, Hoffner made himself radioactive after this past week so he better hope it works out at Mankato.

Just my two cents.

If this is fact about him handling the situation so poorly in Minot, I am no longer in his camp. He got screwed over but, as mentioned above, I now think he only came back for a big check that will entice him to "go away"!! That in itself wouldn't be so bad if it didn't adversely affect so many people!

Can we at least wait to see if anything happens - his wife and kids live there, his wife has a great job there - they did nothing to deserve any of this. No need to paint him as the bad guy in this - if Minot State officials weren't aware that his job status with Mankato was pending that is their mistake - as far as what he said in the interview about being committed to Minot well he probably was based on what he knew then - but then things changed.

I think the comments in the media show that EVERYONE was surprised with the judge's decision that Mankato had to give him his job back, the thought process might have been they were going to have to cut a big check but until you are put in the situation of being offered a job back that you loved in a community your family loves and where you have lots of friends I dont think we can judge. Plus he was only gone two years so all the juniors and seniors on the team were recruited by him and by now realize that he did nothing wrong. He had just a good a record as the interim coach and even the interim coach knew that his title was interim and nothing had been finalized yet.

• Upvote 1

Reading skills lacking? You did not see post #43? Hence why I said that was wrong and created the other posted relating to false charges and allegations.

Apparently you were the one with less-than-stellar reading comprehension buddy. I wasn't the one who didn't comprehend a key component to the story. I saw your later post after I posted, but didn't feel the need to delete my post. Sue me.

I think his decision, while not one I would have made, speaks loudly of his priorities. His family was settled in Mankato, why would he uproot them for something he did not do. He shared at the press conference that the community was supporting him throughout this travisity. When he applied for the job in Minot the information he knew was that he was done at Mankato through no fault what so ever of his. When he told Minot he was committed to them it was based on the information he had at the time and the current situation - well the situation changed. Minot officials had to have known that this was a tenuous situation if they didn't then that is their own fault. I think it speaks loudly of this guy's values and his personal strength that he is willing to go back to that situation for the good of his family when it would have been so easy to walk away. To judge him based on conjecture and headlines is very shallow - he is taking back what should never have been taken from him and doing what is right for his family - he has every right to do this - if he walks away the idiots who put him in this situation get to breath a sigh of relief and continue their reign of incompetence - now they have to face the music and hopefully some of them will be fired.

• Upvote 2

I think his decision, while not one I would have made, speaks loudly of his priorities. His family was settled in Mankato, why would he uproot them for something he did not do. He shared at the press conference that the community was supporting him throughout this travisity. When he applied for the job in Minot the information he knew was that he was done at Mankato through no fault what so ever of his. When he told Minot he was committed to them it was based on the information he had at the time and the current situation - well the situation changed. Minot officials had to have known that this was a tenuous situation if they didn't then that is their own fault. I think it speaks loudly of this guy's values and his personal strength that he is willing to go back to that situation for the good of his family when it would have been so easy to walk away. To judge him based on conjecture and headlines is very shallow - he is taking back what should never have been taken from him and doing what is right for his family - he has every right to do this - if he walks away the idiots who put him in this situation get to breath a sigh of relief and continue their reign of incompetence - now they have to face the music and hopefully some of them will be fired.

I back Hoffner in this whole issue except for bailing out on Minot State. Per their SID he was asked about going back to Mankato if it was offered and he said he wouldn't do that. It really puts them in a bind and and isn't something I would have done.

When Hoffner was interviewed at Minot State, Linnell said, Hoffner was asked whether he might be interested in going back to Mankato should the opportunity arise. “He was asked at least once, if not multiple times, about going back there. He said he was committed to us 100 percent,” Linnell said

Can we at least wait to see if anything happens - his wife and kids live there, his wife has a great job there - they did nothing to deserve any of this. No need to paint him as the bad guy in this - if Minot State officials weren't aware that his job status with Mankato was pending that is their mistake - as far as what he said in the interview about being committed to Minot well he probably was based on what he knew then - but then things changed.

So Minot State was just to assume that when he said "I am committed to Minot State Football for the long haul" during the interview process that he was lying? If you make a commitment you need to honor it. IMO he never should have even applied for the job considering he didn't really want to be there. So he's leaving Minot State hanging and lied too, while going back to his "abusive spouse" It make him look like a pile of crap and not very intelligent in the process.

You would think that a guy who just got screwed over so badly would understand and not turn around and do something bad to other people. I don't know if he is a good person or not, but he certainly handled this entire situation poorly.

So Minot State was just to assume that when he said "I am committed to Minot State Football for the long haul" during the interview process that he was lying? If you make a commitment you need to honor it. IMO he never should have even applied for the job considering he didn't really want to be there. So he's leaving Minot State hanging and lied too, while going back to his "abusive spouse" It make him look like a pile of crap and not very intelligent in the process.

You would think that a guy who just got screwed over so badly would understand and not turn around and do something bad to other people. I don't know if he is a good person or not, but he certainly handled this entire situation poorly.

Nick Saban 2.0

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2718488

Not even comparable by any stretch of the imagination.

Really?? "I am committed to Minot State Football for the long haul" -Hoffner

Nov. 27:

Saban: "When I was in college it was always about coming to the pros. This is the challenge I wanted. I had a good college job. Why would I have left that if I was going to be interested in other college jobs?

Dec. 21:

Saban: "I guess I have to say it. I'm not going to be the Alabama coach. ... I don't control what people say. I don't control what people put on dot-com or anything else. So I'm just telling you there's no significance, in my opinion, about this, about me, about any interest that I have in anything other than being the coach here."

Pretty parallel.

As far as his Mankato players not wanting to play for him, I have no issue with that. They developed a relationship with their new coach and that's who they want to play for. They didn't ask for Hoffner to get fired before but they had to adjust and they did. Hoffner didn't recruit the freshman and sophomores at Mankato but now they are required to play for someone that they have never even met? How is that fair to them?

That's a crappy argument. Welcome to the real world. You don't get to pick your boss. You could get hired by somebody who then gets fired the next day. You're now required to work for the new guy. You can either work for him, or you can leave. Somebody else surely will take your job if you don't want it. You can't just boycott it because you don't like the guy and expect change without any repercussions.

Really?? "I am committed to Minot State Football for the long haul" -Hoffner

Nov. 27:

Saban: "When I was in college it was always about coming to the pros. This is the challenge I wanted. I had a good college job. Why would I have left that if I was going to be interested in other college jobs?

Dec. 21:

Saban: "I guess I have to say it. I'm not going to be the Alabama coach. ... I don't control what people say. I don't control what people put on dot-com or anything else. So I'm just telling you there's no significance, in my opinion, about this, about me, about any interest that I have in anything other than being the coach here."

Pretty parallel.

I guess I missed the part where Alabama illegally fired Saban after almost ruining his life and career and he ended up going back to Tuscaloosa to be with his family after Alabama was required by an arbitrator to give him his job back.

If your justification for comparing them is that they both said they weren't leaving and did, that is pretty weak. The background behind the situations has zero similarities. People say they aren't leaving jobs all the time and then end up going. Offers are increased, incentives are made more appealing. Saban was obvious serious originally about not going since after he turned them down the first time, Alabama offered Rich Rodriguez, who declined. Apparently Alabama decided they really wanted him and made a pretty compelling argument, Saban didn't take the job until January 4th, two weeks after he said he last said he wasn't going to Alabama. Welcome to the real world.

I guess I missed the part where Alabama illegally fired Saban after almost ruining his life and career and he ended up going back to Tuscaloosa to be with his family after Alabama was required by an arbitrator to give him his job back.

If your justification for comparing them is that they both said they weren't leaving and did, that is pretty weak. The background behind the situations has zero similarities. People say they aren't leaving jobs all the time and then end up going. Offers are increased, incentives are made more appealing. Saban was obvious serious originally about not going since after he turned them down the first time, Alabama offered Rich Rodriguez, who declined. Apparently Alabama decided they really wanted him and made a pretty compelling argument, Saban didn't take the job until January 4th, two weeks after he said he last said he wasn't going to Alabama. Welcome to the real world.

And in the media spotlight it makes you look like a real douchbag. Ask any Dolphins fan what they think of Saban and he is ranked up there with the New England Patriots on the most hated list. If for some reason Hoffner get fired from Mankato (poor record, no contract extention, whatever) good luck finding another job as this stunt with Minot could haunt him. Thanks to the internet.