SiouxSports.com Forum

Why does UND Hockey mean so much to You?

OETKB

I haven't posted much in the past few years. I've been busy with family and career, and most of what I am thinking is reflected by others who post regularly. But lately, I've been pondering the question - why does UND Hockey mean so much to me?

I have not lived in ND for 20 years, since I graduated UND in 1992, And, I have had many opportunities to witness big time pro sports moments in the cities I have lived in since (Gary Payton's Seattle Sonics vs. Michael Jordan's Bull's in the NBA finals is just one example). However, nothing has ever come close to the importance that UND Hockey has in my life. Why would that be?

Some obvious reasons come to mind, given my circumstances of growing up in Grand Forks. I had the priveledge of attending all home games throughout my childhood, because my parents always had season tickets. I got to witness some of the team's national championships live, which adds to the personal sense of pride in any fan. And, the community does support the hockey team in a way that is special, almost unique.

However, that is not the whole story. Something more keeps people like me tuned in, finding a webcast or a pay-cable channel to allow us to see every possible game every season. Something timeless is required.

That connection can only continue to exist if a program keeps a tradition that means something. UND Hockey has that. It had it back then, and it has it now. UND Hockey is one of the only things that has stayed constant through all of the changes throughout my life, one of the only things that still exists that is just as good, maybe better, than it was when I was young. Through decades of time, the magic that is UND Hockey continues, and it means the world to me.

Your thoughts?

Easy...once a Fighting Sioux, always a Fighting Sioux. I was hooked by the time I was 10 or 11 and have not looked back since. Watching games in western North Dakota on Prairie Public Television was only the beginning. The best part is that when I was able to experience it in person, it was better then expected. Now my entire family enjoys it...whether watching the games on tv or going to Final 5 or Regional games in Minneapolis. Go Sioux!

It was the thing to do at UND during the long cold winter. It bonded the students and added to our pride in our school and our state. There are so many fond memories of going to the old Ralph. Not only for the games but waiting overnight for the tickets, but going to open skate nights and reading the nasty things carved into the visitor's bench about Herb Brooks and other "enemies of the Sioux". Then on the nights I couldn't go to the game because of work, or other reasons, the parties and gatherings of students to watch the games however they could, even tolerating sports announcers like Jim Adelson and Ed Schultz who hadn't a clue about hockey just to see them on TV. (Honestly, we usually turned down the volume and turned on the radio broadcast.) Then, of course, there was Frenchy's!

I took my sister, nephew and his then fiance to a DU/UND game in Denver a few years ago. None of them had ever been to a North Dakota hockey game before. My nephew's fiance said she would cheer DU. I was okay with it, I told her enjoy the game and cheer for whoever you want. She sat at the end of the rink in the primarily North Dakota cheering section. After listening to quite a few extremely rude DU fans and listening to the North Dakota fans cheer their team, she switched sides. Now married to my nephew, she recently asked me if we'd still cheer the Sioux even if the name is gone. I told her that it didn't matter, they're always going to be my team. She said that she wants to go again and cheer UND, as long as she could borrow a UND jersey to wear at the game! They have a baby due in September. I think I need to buy something from Siouxsports for the event!

• Upvote 1

Well. because in an area that doesn't have a lot of tops sports teams, hockey reminds everyone around the country that we have a decent sports school. It gives us recognition to the global hockey community. When you mention college hockey, you cannot forget to mention UND. Almost everyone else hates the Sioux (UND) but it is for a specific reason....year in and year out we throw out very tough teams to beat. Team love to play us in non-conference games (and WCHA games) because when the Sioux is in town they arenas are packed and tickets are sold. Those are just a couple of reasons for me.

Growing up The sioux football, hockey and basketball players were the ones I looked up to. I never knew any of the players of the sports, but interacting with them at signings, or the french frie feed gave me the goal of making it to were they had made it. For me seeing videos of past events reminds me yes it is worth it, and what being a kid with a hero really means. Now that I am in college, I see all the kids in the arenas on sioux insider and I think some day they to will be here looking back on college hereos.

Living in wyoming I see 10,000 to 15,00 fans at every game, and yet for me I would rather be in a crowd of 5,000 sioux fans anyday.

Although I personally don't have any skin in the game, my favorite hockey player does.

Our earliest experience with the Sioux was in the late 90's. He went to a Sioux game in Milwaukee with a hockey bud.

Sioux won. His first comment to me was "I love the way they play the game & I sure would like to play for them."

Many twist & turns & comittments & decommits later, he fortunately landed up at UND.

My first experience at the Old Ralph was unbelievable.

I expected a lot of hootin & hollerin & warcries, but was extremely surprised at the respect that was shown for the Sioux name.

After the first Sioux goal that was scored, what I thought was the tomahawk chop turned out to be the sieve chant.

I came away from the game with as much respect for the students as they showed for the name.

We had many fun visits to GF. Loved the people & how they treated the players.

They were even very nice to the parents. It was an experience I will always remember.

After that first game, I was hooked. Still a Sioux fan & will be for a long time.

Weekends are spent watching the games & listening to Tim on the radio.

I have stayed out of the name controversy but can see both sides of the issue as an outsider.

Really hated to see the Sioux name go but understand the reasons why.

Maybe some day in the future things will change & I can cheer my grandsons on as "Fighting Sioux".

• Upvote 3

Although I personally don't have any skin in the game, my favorite hockey player does.

Our earliest experience with the Sioux was in the late 90's. He went to a Sioux game in Milwaukee with a hockey bud.

Sioux won. His first comment to me was "I love the way they play the game & I sure would like to play for them."

Many twist & turns & comittments & decommits later, he fortunately landed up at UND.

My first experience at the Old Ralph was unbelievable.

I expected a lot of hootin & hollerin & warcries, but was extremely surprised at the respect that was shown for the Sioux name.

After the first Sioux goal that was scored, what I thought was the tomahawk chop turned out to be the sieve chant.

I came away from the game with as much respect for the students as they showed for the name.

We had many fun visits to GF. Loved the people & how they treated the players.

They were even very nice to the parents. It was an experience I will always remember.

After that first game, I was hooked. Still a Sioux fan & will be for a long time.

Weekends are spent watching the games & listening to Tim on the radio.

I have stayed out of the name controversy but can see both sides of the issue as an outsider.

Really hated to see the Sioux name go but understand the reasons why.

Maybe some day in the future things will change & I can cheer my grandsons on as "Fighting Sioux".

For years UND Fighting Sioux fans have thought that the "tomahawk chop" and some kind of weird "war chant" was just stupid and racist. I'm glad you brought that up. It always pissed me off when nickname opponents would show a "sieve chant" picture as if we were doing a tomahawk chop.

It means so much to me because of the special link to my dad that Fighting Sioux hockey has given to me. We went to a ton of games when I was young but I remember one specifically when UND was playing St. Cloud State at the Old Ralph. UND scored late in the third period to take the lead and the pep band (after of course playing the school song) went right into the beer song. I'll never forget seeing my dad wipe the beginning of tears from his eyes, as it meant so much that we were sharing that moment together (and of course the Sioux were going to win). Even going to football games, when the team ran onto the field at Memorial Stadium, or onto the turf at the Alerus, I always see it get to him.

Now that I'm a dad I just get emotional as all hell when my wife puts our one year old in his fighting sioux jersey, or other Sioux outfits before a big Sioux game. The torch is definitely getting passed!

I'm embarrassed to say that I've lived the entire 34 years of my life in North Dakota, and growing up on a farm outside a small rural town I didn't even know that UND had a hockey team when I came to college in 1996. I went to a handful of games at the old Ralph during my time at UND, and although I didn't really understand the game I always had a great time with my friends and classmates that I went with, and was so impressed by the passion that the fans put forth at the games. I watched the new REA engulf the parking lot that I used during my 4 years at the University, but didn't give it alot of thought when I left. When I luckily married my wife in 2003, a fellow sports-nut, and after following UND's run to the football title game that year, I suggested we attend a hockey game that winter because she had never been to a hockey game period, and I had not yet been to the new REA. That first game was an eye-opening experience. To realize that there is something of this grand magnitude going on out here in the middle of nowhere.................it gave me such pride in my alma mater, and pride in my state that such a first class spectacle was taking place here on Friday and Saturday nights in the cold wintery months. We were both hooked after that, and two seasons later we scored season tickets and have been there every weekend since............

• Upvote 1

Great thought-provoking question. For me it starts in college and continues on. The barn, the Old Ralph, and of course the New Ralph - all had or have a classic atmosphere. Plus, we are competing at the very highest level in the country - for a long time (79 - 2000) we could consistently say that we were the best program in the country for any division. Come into our house and we'll hammer you. We are still elite, but need to take the last step to be the best. It is a source of great pride to be the best program in the country bar none. We need to figure it out and get it done. Of all of the eras, we have things stacked for us now. Let's pull the trigger.

• Upvote 1

I have been a season ticket holder since the new Ralph was built but have been a fan since the 70's. I'm old school when it comes to the game so naturally I fell in love the way the Sioux played the game right off the bat. In your face,playing on the edge,physical high flying hockey. I still get goose bumps when they introduce the team before each game when I'm in attendance at the Ralph and I'm sure I will until my last game which hopefully is a long ways off yet. Other than the team I coach in high school there isn't a team in all of sport that I would rather cheer for than the Fighting Sioux.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Going to games at both the old an new Ralph with my dad, then going to work in Maryland and working with a bunch of UND grads come Friday or Saturday if we where in town it was always on thanks to fox college sports. So its that camaraderie. And just the great memories from being in the band and striking up in heaven there is no beer and watching the whole arena whether it's the Ralph or Alerus Center join in on all the fun.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

Speaking for myself, being a Florida boy & station at GFAFB it was UND "FIGHTIN SIOUX HOCKEY" that gave my first ever look at the sport & also seeing a UND game live. To be honest with you that was almost 40 years ago. Still a FIGHTIN SIOUX" then & still a "FIGHTIN SIOUX" today. To me UND will always be the "FIGHTIN SIOUX." I don't care what others think that's the bottom line.

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973.

GO SIOUX.

• Upvote 1

Identity and nostalgia are definitely at the top of the list:

Identity-UND hockey is North Dakota's representation on the national map; not just athletically or the global university, but really the whole State. I am proud of being part of the small club that is North Dakotan, and UND hockey shows the world what can come out of our small, cold, "fly-over" state. I left ND at 18, but I've never stopped being a Sioux fan- even after two degrees from the University of Minnesota!!

Nostalgia-running from University Avenue to the old Ralph with my Dad in twenty below cold, then seeing The Farce, and getting home past my bedtime. Watching 3 national championship teams as an elementary school kid. Jim Archibald. Playing knee hockey in our old, unfinished basement with a space heater, pretending to be Phil Sykes or Troy Murray or Dan Brennan or Tony Hrkac or Bob Joyce while watching the game. Warming house pizza and frozen toes with the game on the radio. Taking my wife (BC alumni of all things) to the Ralph before she was my wife and showing her the new Ralph with pride. Oh, and Jim Archibald.

• Upvote 1

It's the memories of my Dad taking me to my first Sioux hockey game in November, 1964. It was in the old barn, and the chicken wire on the end-boards being supported by old hockey sticks is my first memory of that building. It was a flippin quanset for crying out loud, and it was colder than snot. The ice was fast, and the crowds were boisterous, but it was the bonding experience through all those years with my dad that I will always cherish...

• Upvote 1

I think that was the year I saw my only game in the old barn. My one lingering recollection was of a guy standing up behind me, pulling a bottle of whiskey from under his ridiculously long overcoat, leaning back to take a pull from it, and toppling over backwards. Ah, the memories.

• Upvote 1

I think that siouxforce19 explained it pretty well actually. You can't explain it...it is the feeling that you get at exhibition, it is the family that you become part of.

To try to explain what it is about the smells of the Ralph that make it the Ralph.

People may think that I am insane, but that is ok.

• 1 month later...

I walked behind some Nebraska-Omaha fans leaving the X last spring after the Sioux comeback against Minnesota. Both guys were shaking their heads and mumbling "unbelievable" back and forth to each other. One comment in particular summed it all up for me:

"I don't know what it is about that jersey but they're just like the Detroit Red Wings and the pride they have wearing it...the players...they just refuse to quit...EVER. There's just SOMETHING about that crest."

• Upvote 2

I walked behind some Nebraska-Omaha fans leaving the X last spring after the Sioux comeback against Minnesota. Both guys were shaking their heads and mumbling "unbelievable" back and forth to each other. One comment in particular summed it all up for me:

"I don't know what it is about that jersey but they're just like the Detroit Red Wings and the pride they have wearing it...the players...they just refuse to quit...EVER. There's just SOMETHING about that crest."

The crest that is no more.......

I've lived here 53 of my 60 years and I'm not embarrassed! Just got back from 5 days in Orlando and I was happier than hell to leave all those people behind.

I have lived in ND since 1993 and I am not assamed to say it... I too went to Orlando back in July and it was hotter than blazes there...

Fighting Sioux hockey was my first taste of the game, as a freshman at UND. My buddies were trying to get me to go to some games and finally talked me into it during the MN series. Never looked back after that. The atmosphere was amazing, hard to not get sucked in. The pride and tradition of the program, as a person born and raised in ND, I love nothing more than watching an NHL game and hearing announders and coaches speak highly of UND. The final thing, and probably most important, is the UND hockey family. It brings people together. I cannot count the number of times at work I will be talking to somebody from another company whether it be an audit or some other type of business, and the topic will get switched to hockey and UND. There is a bond between hockey fans that has a special feel to it and it is fun to share in the good times and even the bad times, with fellow fans.

My parents and my family. Went to my first games in the Old Barn with my dad and still go to Sioux games with my 85 year old parents today. In my opinion, there are no bigger Sioux fans. Plus, I am related to NorthDakotaHockey and many in my extended family share my love for the Fighting Sioux. I am truely a lucky guy.