SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-2013 Season

sioux24/7

He sure isn't big enough to play the 4 so it must be the 2 or 3 position and you wouldn't think he we beat out Huff. We actually have been starting two point guards in Anderson and Webb so, if he is truly completing for a starting spot, I would think it would be the 2 with either Webb or Anderson starting at the point.

Gotta be Webb at the 1

Here is an observation from last year. When Webb, was out of the line up at Western Illinois, we looked lost unorganized, we didn't defend really well, especially up top. We were a mess. When we were missing Anderson in the New Mexico game- we got beat, but we played well. Webb is very much a guy who can defend, can get others involved and has begun to realize when the moments for him to attack are as well...as evidence in the post season last year. Although I will say, I WANT, both Anderson, and Webb in our back court together. I felt they are tremendous tandem and they really compliment each other well.

No way Benton cracks the starting line-up. He definately will not beat out Huff at the 3 nor will he challenge Webb or Anderson. At best if he plays the guard position he will be behind Schuler and Antwi. We are so solid at the guard position with talent and experience in Webb, Anderson, Schuler and Antwi. They all bring something a little different. My only concern at the off guard position is Anderson's size. With 20 league games in the Big Sky Anderson will be so undersized at the 2 position on defense and can easily be exploited. We may have to up the size in that position with Schuler or Antwi and go away from 2 starting point guards.

I don't a thing about Benton. He'd have to be awfully good to supplant Anderson, Webb, and/or Huff amongst the starters.

I don't much care who the starters are....................all I know is, I've seen alot of good things happen when Webb and Anderson are on the floor together. Webb is a true ball-distributing point guard. Anderson is a scorer.

Looking forward to see what the new guys bring to the table, but I think Anderson, Huff, and Brekke are the key cogs to this team.....................

No way possible Benton is a starter. I believe by mid-season, we will have one of the best "1,2, and 3" backcourt tandems in the big sky. At least top 3 in my book. Nothing against Anderson, I like what he brings to the table, but I feel Shuler is a starter at the 2 spot in the big sky at least. I just feel with Anderson's size, in such a conference, won't be enough. Shuler is a traditional shooting guard. Huff and Webb are the key pieces to our success. Both rebound, steal, and attack the rim really good for guard spots. Interesting season ahead!

No way possible Benton is a starter. I believe by mid-season, we will have one of the best "1,2, and 3" backcourt tandems in the big sky. At least top 3 in my book. Nothing against Anderson, I like what he brings to the table, but I feel Shuler is a starter at the 2 spot in the big sky at least. I just feel with Anderson's size, in such a conference, won't be enough. Shuler is a traditional shooting guard. Huff and Webb are the key pieces to our success. Both rebound, steal, and attack the rim really good for guard spots. Interesting season ahead!

I am also a Shuler fan. He has such a great stroke. But Anderson really set himself apart last season. I think he is the best player on the team. He's been very good in clutch situations..............

I think a lot of people are going to be surprised with Benton. I haven't seen him play or anything so this is just a hunch. He was rated very closely to what Troy Huff was on ESPN coming out of high school, not that that means much but its gotta mean something. I don't think Wayne or Tom would bring him up if he wasn't at least close to cracking the lineup so there's gotta be something there so I'm guessing that he will be one of the top guys off the bench.

I definately have to agree with you on this one. Good post.

Bin...no way possible that Anderson is the best player on the team. I like the kid. His stats were the greatest by far. So yes statistically, he had a good year. Better than Webb? No a chance. Like someone said earlier, when Webb is out of the lineup, things went haywire. Our overall best player is definitely Huff, just because of the versatility he brings. But no sense in comparing two guys who have an 8' height difference. Webb I our key I success, which goes for any point guard in college basketball. We need that leadership, which Webb HAS to be more vocal with this team. Like a Kendall Marshall, or a Peyton Siva from Louisville.

• Upvote 1

Bin...no way possible that Anderson is the best player on the team. I like the kid. His stats were the greatest by far. So yes statistically, he had a good year. Better than Webb? No a chance. Like someone said earlier, when Webb is out of the lineup, things went haywire. Our overall best player is definitely Huff, just because of the versatility he brings. But no sense in comparing two guys who have an 8' height difference. Webb I our key I success, which goes for any point guard in college basketball. We need that leadership, which Webb HAS to be more vocal with this team. Like a Kendall Marshall, or a Peyton Siva from Louisville.

I just like Anderson's consistency, his ability to hit clutch shots, his ability to make free throws, and he seems to make few bad decisions. Huff is obviously the most explosive player on the team, and is a walking highlight film. You never know when he will go off for 25 points, but you also never know when he'll be held to 2 points. His athleticism makes him a good rebounder too. Both Huff and Webb are much better defenders than Anderson. Webb is an excellent floor general, and makes everyone around him better. He just can't score like those other two guys, but that is not his job either. I just felt that Anderson was the most valuable player on the team last year. My two cents...............

I think all of them should be able to have better seasons than last, including Brekke, if a couple of the new guys can take some of the pressure off of Brekke down in the paint, as he has been the only threat in the post the last two seasons.

Some possible clarification regarding the idea of Benton as a starter--Tom Miller said in today's live chat on the Herald web site that Jones mentioned the possiblity of starting Benton in Mitchell's old spot last spring, prior to the additions of the two jucos and (hopefully) Nash.

Some possible clarification regarding the idea of Benton as a starter--Tom Miller said in today's live chat on the Herald web site that Jones mentioned the possiblity of starting Benton in Mitchell's old spot last spring, prior to the additions of the two jucos and (hopefully) Nash.

That would be a really small line up: not that Mitchell was a rebounder, but still.

That would be a really small line up: not that Mitchell was a rebounder, but still.

Agree.

Again, I know nothing about Benton. He's obviously quite talented if he's challenging for a starting spot. But I'd be surprised if Traylor is not the "new" starter if Nash is ruled ineligible. Benton seems like a natural fit to log a pile of minutes spelling Huff, Webb, and Anderson........................

I'm really looking forward to seeing this team. If Traylor and Nash can contribute in the post offensively, I like where we are headed. With those two new guys, Brekke, and the defensive prowess of Wilmer and Archer, I don't think the Sioux will be overmatched down low as often as they have been the past few seasons.................

Certainly someone on this board has seen them practice - it would be nice to get an update.

Don't know how the practicing has been going but heard a few things. Benton is injured with a knee injury I believe and hasn't practiced much and Anderson has been nursing a sore ankle but practicing lately. Scrimmage this Sunday at Sioux Falls.