SiouxSports.com Forum

Brock, Danny, and Derek: PLEASE STAY!!!

yzerman19

For this (Brock) to make any sense he better have gotten a max. deal. I would have thought that he would have demanded to play at the end of the year to burn the year under the entry level contract. At this point Brock doesn't have all that much leverage. After next year he would have had ALL the leverage as he would become a free agent if he wasn't signed. WIthout burning a year off the rookie deal I'm a bit confused.

Anyhow, best of luck to Mr. Nelson and Mr. Dell.

Nelson would not have been a free agent after next year, that would only be 3 years after draft year, free agent status occurs after 4. Brock came to UND having been drafted that summer before.

Brad-

You missed Brian Lee leaving after 2 years as well...

As for the Lee Goren and Brock Nelson comparison- really not a good comparison, but I will play- THE biggest difference is that Brock Nelson is a first round draft pick. Brock will get many opportunities and will have to prove that he can't play at the NHL level...guys like Goren had to prove that they can play before even getting a shot...that is a lot harder to do.

Nelson would not have been a free agent after next year, that would only be 3 years after draft year, free agent status occurs after 4. Brock came to UND having been drafted that summer before.

Heard that "free agent" loophole is closing most likely, so it might not be an option much longer

I wasn't real clear there. I meant that if Brock came back for next year that he would have a ton of leverage after next year. If he wasn't signed next year he would become a free agent if he stayed for his senior year. It seems that after the third year is when the drafting teams need to put on the full court press to avoid losing a blue chip prospect. Brock was not a four year guy anyway, but I'm still surprised by the signing.

I wasn't real clear there. I meant that if Brock came back for next year that he would have a ton of leverage after next year. If he wasn't signed next year he would become a free agent if he stayed for his senior year. It seems that after the third year is when the drafting teams need to put on the full court press to avoid losing a blue chip prospect. Brock was not a four year guy anyway, but I'm still surprised by the signing.

Yes, if he stayed and played two more years, he could've been in that boat. I wish he was coming back!!

Yes, if he stayed and played two more years, he could've been in that boat. I wish he was coming back!!

I'm definitely dissappointed and surprised that Brock decided to sign. I don't think he is ready but the last skinny sophomore I said wasn't ready for the NHL hasn't played a game in the AHL in his career(Travis Zajac). So I guess I could be wrong. Best of luck to you. I don't think Blood was able to talk to him before he signed with his feelings.

Did anyone else get the impression that Brock Nelson took the regional loss maybe a littler harder than anybody else on the team?? Watching the finale of Through These Doors, it seemed Nelson really took the loss hard, even days later (which is understandable), so I have to wonder if the disappointment and heartache had something to do with his signing.

I wish Nelson all the best and don't blame him for signing, but personally I thought one more year would have pushed him to the level he needs to be at to crack the NHL lineup.

Did anyone else get the impression that Brock Nelson took the regional loss maybe a littler harder than anybody else on the team?? Watching the finale of Through These Doors, it seemed Nelson really took the loss hard, even days later (which is understandable), so I have to wonder if the disappointment and heartache had something to do with his signing.

I wish Nelson all the best and don't blame him for signing, but personally I thought one more year would have pushed him to the level he needs to be at to crack the NHL lineup.

I got that impression as well.

So is Kristo 100% gone? Even with Nelson gone (which I am still scratching my head over), we will be stacked if Kristo stays. We will be fine either way, but next year has the potential to be special if he stays. Please stay Danny!!

Probably won't find out about Kristo until summer because of his situation, but the longer he doesn't say "I'm staying" the less chance he does is how it looks to me.

I thought the same thing as well. I think in the back of his head/mind he knew he probably played his last game at UND. Brock loved UND and was very proud to play for the Sioux. I think all emotions aside, he must have known the Isles wanted him to sign after his season was over probably with that lingering in the back of his mind during his play in the National Tournament.

That last scene in Through the Doors with Rowney/or Knight? hugging/playing around with Nelson, displays the body language that Neslon was enjoying his last few moments and memories inside the UND locker room as he knew he'd be singing a few days later.

After watching through these doors I definitely got that impression too, but like you said it is very understandable and really I'd be worried if guys didn't take the loss hard and you certainly know the players did, as well as coaches and the fan base too. I really don't think that had a lot to do with him signing early, but I guess it could of. His reaction was probably one of 2 things he may have felt they were so close and that coulda been more of a reason to come back for another shot and I think he probably was leaning towards coming back for another season after that game, but something must have changed. Or the Islanders had wanted him for so long and he already knew he was gonna be signing whenever the season ended so adter that game he knew it was the last time playing with the boys and playing for a school he loved. A lot of people were a little suprised by the signing including me, but I just think Nelson felt like this was the perfect opportunity for him and time to sign.

Probably won't find out about Kristo until summer because of his situation, but the longer he doesn't say "I'm staying" the less chance he does is how it looks to me.

I'm a pessimist but I think that Kristo goes. They say Aaron Dell is likely to sign too, but that seems to have stalled.

I think Kristo goes and Dell does too. After that, no one bolts.

I don't understand it if coming from the family...All first rounders take out an insurance policy in case of injury, so it isn't fear of that...whatever the reason, he is gone, and I wish him all the best and thank him for his contributions these last two years.

Wonder why the family was pushing so hard? You think they'd want him to progress and get an education at the same time.

Unless they really needed the money or something like that.

There's that saying that "school will always be there, hockey may not." I'd guess with the hockey-rich family tradition, there might have been more of a push. Just a guess, though.

There's that saying that "school will always be there, hockey may not." I'd guess with the hockey-rich family tradition, there might have been more of a push. Just a guess, though.

But then you have a kid who, IMHO, is more NHL ready physically in Bjugstad, but his Unlce(who played, and still works with many NHL Players) was very open on PA saying the Nick needs another year. I know Nick is only 18 and Brock is 19 but, I would think they would want him to have the best chance to succeed.