SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-13 Season

geaux_sioux

Well, I actually agree with you that he is not that good of a goalie. However, I believe he will get a job as an AHL goalie. Dell has good size and his positioning is the reason he has made it this far. His biggest, glaring weakness is his rebound control....it is beyond terrible. I have actually seen good Bantam goalies here in the Cities have better rebound control than him. One of the reasons he didn't get lit up more while he was here was due to the outstanding dmen UND has produced. Now in saying that, I wish him the best and hope that, if he signs, the team has a good goalie coach and can really focus this summer on that one aspect. Another one of his issues is that he gets shelved to much.....but it is minor in comparison to his rebound control. If he does solve that, I believe he has a great shot at a decent professional career. If he doesn't he'll end up in the CHL (US). If I were him, I would come back for one more year of work in college. But from me, let's role with Gothberg, he is much better right now.

The problem with getting an A job is he is a free agent. Teams have draft picks they are paying more money to and will play them instead. That is why I say he will be an ECHL, or as you said a CHL, player. He gets top shelved so much because he tries to play on his knees, ala Patrick Roy and others, but does not have quick enough of a glove to catch them. Think of how many great college players there have been that never got out of the ECHL and they were draftees. Dell is not half as good as many goalies that have played at UND and they never made it to the show. Someone here probably could give us a quick list of who ever played in the AHL. I can only think of two guys that made it do the NHL and that was Eddie and Jon.

I think it is really odd that he is almost set on leaving UND even thought he hasn't had any offers. I wonder if he really does feel that Gothberg will beat him out next year, I really didn't think so but who knows what he has been told. Even though some people think that he isn't the greatest goalie, he is a former All-American and has had a very successful NCAA career, I would love for him to come back for his senior year and anchor an already very good team.

I think it is really odd that he is almost set on leaving UND even thought he hasn't had any offers. I wonder if he really does feel that Gothberg will beat him out next year, I really didn't think so but who knows what he has been told. Even though some people think that he isn't the greatest goalie, he is a former All-American and has had a very successful NCAA career, I would love for him to come back for his senior year and anchor an already very good team.

Let me say this, yes Dell did pick it up at the end of the year and I felt he played about as well as he could of. However, I have never seen a goalie get pulled as much as he did at the start of the year. I think it was seriously like 6-7 times in an 11 game span. Yes, his final numbers were actually OK given how bad he was blown up to start the year, but I seriously attribute that to having great dmen in from of him. Yes, UND had a young, hurt team but let's not kid ourselves, the guys we have are all very legit players/propects. Especially for college hockey.

Gothberg was drafted in the 5th round (I believe), that is very good for a goalie. You simply do not have a goalie come in with those accolades and not at least complete to start. I heard some on this site saying Gothberg may be the 3rd string goalie, I always laughed at that. I have not paid attention too much to that AHA goalie but if Dell stays he will be splitting serious time with Gothberg or will lose his job the first few times he gets blown up.

Dell is more scared of Sanders than he is of Gothberg. Sanders is the go to goalie next year, until the second half of the season when Gothberg get some experience and proves that he is better and ready for the role.

We agree on this that is for sure. He knows his playing is going to be limited next season and it is hard to sign anything if you are not playing. So he tested the waters and found that there was a lot of ice in the water.

Dell is more scared of Sanders than he is of Gothberg. Sanders is the go to goalie next year, until the second half of the season when Gothberg get some experience and proves that he is better and ready for the role.

Who he is scared of really doesn't matter, either way he will lose playing time (mentioned before). On another note, I get this Saunders is supposed to be good and I hope he is, however, I don't see how Saunders is the "go to" goalie. He may be at some point, but going into the season...no way. He was a non recruited goalie (hence he ended up at UAH), who did play on a (very) crappy team, but I simply don't see how he automatically starts over Dell or Gothberg. Yes, I believe he will get some playing time, but I would think (if Dell does come back) it would be a Dell/Gothberg combo with Saunders getting some PT if Dell or Gothberg struggles. If Dell leaves I see a Gothberg/Saunders combo until Gothberg pulls away. Hak will give Gothberg every chance to succeed.

Who he is scared of really doesn't matter, either way he will lose playing time (mentioned before). On another note, I get this Saunders is supposed to be good and I hope he is, however, I don't see how Saunders is the "go to" goalie. He may be at some point, but going into the season...no way. He was a non recruited goalie (hence he ended up at UAH), who did play on a (very) crappy team, but I simply don't see how he automatically starts over Dell or Gothberg. Yes, I believe he will get some playing time, but I would think (if Dell does come back) it would be a Dell/Gothberg combo with Saunders getting some PT if Dell or Gothberg struggles. If Dell leaves I see a Gothberg/Saunders combo until Gothberg pulls away. Hak will give Gothberg every chance to succeed.

Many would have said the same thing about Ed Belfour. Nobody recruited him and he played on a crappy MJHL team in Winkler.

Let me say this, yes Dell did pick it up at the end of the year and I felt he played about as well as he could of. However, I have never seen a goalie get pulled as much as he did at the start of the year. I think it was seriously like 6-7 times in an 11 game span. Yes, his final numbers were actually OK given how bad he was blown up to start the year, but I seriously attribute that to having great dmen in from of him. Yes, UND had a young, hurt team but let's not kid ourselves, the guys we have are all very legit players/propects. Especially for college hockey.

Gothberg was drafted in the 5th round (I believe), that is very good for a goalie. You simply do not have a goalie come in with those accolades and not at least complete to start. I heard some on this site saying Gothberg may be the 3rd string goalie, I always laughed at that. I have not paid attention too much to that AHA goalie but if Dell stays he will be splitting serious time with Gothberg or will lose his job the first few times he gets blown up.

This is pure speculation - I have no facts to back this up, but it seemed to me that Dell came into last season out of shape - he certainly put on weight. His performance the first half was certainly not what I expected from an All-American. It seemed like he had to play his way into shape. He had an outstanding year two years ago, mainly due to his positioning and the fact we had studs in front of him. I expected him to improve last year, and it seemed like most of the year he regressed.

• Upvote 1

Many would have said the same thing about Ed Belfour. Nobody recruited him and he played on a crappy MJHL team in Winkler.

True, until it happens....you can't say that about every single goalie who comes from a crappy team. There are a lot of them and on 1% turn into Steady Eddy's.

Sorry, son, they brought in Saunders for a reason. He's a big goalie and he had solid numbers playing on crappy team. The kid can play! If he didn't they wouldn't have told him to come to Nodak. He will be the starter until Gotherberg gains some experience and confidence. Dell is in fact intimated and scared of limited ice, you can't blame him.

Sorry, son, they brought in Saunders for a reason. He's a big goalie and he had solid numbers playing on crappy team. The kid can play! If he didn't they wouldn't have told him to come to Nodak. He will be the starter until Gotherberg gains some experience and confidence. Dell is in fact intimated and scared of limited ice, you can't blame him.

1. Yes to be a solid back-up and to split time with Gothberg until he is ready.

2. They will split time until Gothberg eventually takes the reins....which should be by December (unless Dell is still there and is playing alright).

:lol: Wow. Speculation is fun. Pretty sure the talk was they brought Saunders into the fold because it was a foregone conclusion that Dell was leaving after the year. Especially since he almost left the year before. Hakstol needed to bring a goalie in to help share time with Gothberg in the event that Dell would leave early.

I'm so sure that Dell is just shaking in his boots of the prospect of less ice time. Funny thing is, all UND players know they have to earn the right to be in the playing lineup. If Dell stays, it'd be good to have Saunders and Gothberg around cause it'll push him to maintain being a solid/dependable goalie.

• Upvote 1

I'll take 3 healthy upper echelon goalies and leave it to Hak and Co. to determine which one deserves to put on the pads each night.

That is all.

I was joking to a friend that we should offer one to the Gophers... obviously I wasn't serious, just making a point that we have goaltending depth. It was a good chuckle.

I can only think of two guys that made it do the NHL and that was Eddie and Jon.

All you said was " ... made it do [sic] the NHL ... "; you didn't say "career." ;)

Don't like "Jensen" as an answer? How about "Lefty" and the WHL? (Yeah, it's not the NHL ... )

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=6669

Still mad he didn't score in the 2-0 loss to Michigan?

He is a decent goalie, but if signed he should start in the ECHL IMHO. He isn't a very quick goalie laterally from post to post and he does still have problems with his rebound control, not the best at handling the puck either. He is a good scrambler though and always seems to get the job done, I would be shocked if he got an AHL job, but as an undrafted free agent goalie you only have so many chances to move up and if you get one you are taking a risk if you pass it up.

I also think there is a good chance this year that he could lose his starting job at some point in the season, and if that happens it could cost him a shot at all. Just my 2 cents.

Whoever our goaltender is it will be decided during summer workouts and practice this fall and in the locker room. Anyone of our top 3 goalies could get the starting job and I hope each one battles for the top spot as it will only help our team.