SiouxSports.com Forum

What happens if the first petition gains enough signatures?

jimdahl

So, here is a question that I have not seen come up in this thread, yet...

What if... the repeal initiative goes to a vote. The state votes it down, because we are afraid of what it means to UND with the NCAA and especially the Big Sky. BUT, there is a two-thirds approval in BOTH of the reservation precincts, such as Sioux and Benson Counties? Would the people who are supposedly supporting the rights of native americans in Indianapolis listen to the native vote or the statewide (mostly white) vote, since they are doing this FOR the native americans?

Would someone who has a better grasp of the legal side of what is going on here have any ideas?

That would not have any effect on the issue other than it would give us solid evidence that people ( we can assume most would be Native, but we wouldn't have proof) living in those areas supported the name. It would be irrelevant legally but Fetch might take his pink sheep out to Famous Dave K's for Ribs and drinks to celebrate.

It sounds like we should expect a press release to come out soon saying that UND will return to the Fighting Sioux nickname, for now. They are still looking at logistics about what that means and what will be returned.

I assume any changes back will be in name only, meaning the term 'Fighting Sioux' will be restored in all communications possible, but any physical changes already made will be left as is until the upcoming roller coaster ride is settled.

What it means as far as uniforms for the hockey teams will be interesting.

That would not have any effect on the issue other than it would give us solid evidence that people ( we can assume most would be Native, but we wouldn't have proof) living in those areas supported the name. It would be irrelevant legally but Fetch might take his pink sheep out to Famous Dave K's for Ribs and drinks to celebrate.

Do sheep like ribs? Maybe they could make up a nice salad for his ewe.

I assume any changes back will be in name only, meaning the term 'Fighting Sioux' will be restored in verbal communications possible, but any physical changes already made will be left as is until the upcoming roller coaster ride is settled.

What it means as far as uniforms for the hockey teams will be interesting.

They will probably continue to use the uniforms they have right now, with the exception of having the new, plain uniforms ready for the men if they make the NCAA tournament.

I assume any changes back will be in name only, meaning the term 'Fighting Sioux' will be restored in all communications possible, but any physical changes already made will be left as is until the upcoming roller coaster ride is settled. What it means as far as uniforms for the hockey teams will be interesting.

Who's to say the teams need to revert to their old unis, or that all of the recent "scrubbing" of the Sioux name and moniker needs to be reversed? There's no provision that requires the name to be present on correspondence, websites, unis, the side of Twamley or anyplace else. The law can say anything it wants, but the school and Board seem to have a great deal of penalty-free discretion to determine how they comply with it. The bouncyball and football unis generally do not have they moniker or name, are they out of compliance now? They removed those touchpoints years ago. Plain generic uniforms and continued bland "University of North Dakota" references may be "a way" to comply with "the law" and possibly the settlement.

• Upvote 1

That, ladies and gentlemen, in poker is called a "tell". Al Carlson just admitted a law without penalty is just a wish aloud.

This. I think Carlson is basically saying that although the law is now back again, UND will not be penalized by not following it and appears to almost be telling UND to do just that.

Who's to say the teams need to revert to their old unis, or that all of the recent "scrubbing" of the Sioux name and moniker needs to be reversed? There's no provision that requires the name to be present on correspondence, websites, unis, the side of Twamley or anyplace else. The law can say anything it wants, but the school and Board seem to have a great deal of penalty-free discretion to determine how they comply with it. The bouncyball and football unis generally do not have they moniker or name, are they out of compliance now? They removed those touchpoints years ago. Plain generic uniforms and continued bland "University of North Dakota" references may be "a way" to comply with "the law" and possibly the settlement.

That was my point in starting this thread... the law just says something like "UND shall be known as Fighting Sioux", and then a rambling sentence about how they shouldn't take any steps to retire the name. It's not clear UND has to do much to comply with the law, and it's not clear who would have standing to bring suit if they felt UND wasn't sufficiently complying, so I thought there would be a fair chance UND wouldn't change much until it all played out.

A few people likely to have good information have suggested that UND is instead planning to make a good faith effort to fully return to using Fighting Sioux just as they were 3 months ago, which surprises me a little, but it may be the right P.R. move.

Anybody else find it interesting that the Mens Hockey team absolutely could not get there new jerseys in until Mid-February. And IRONICALLY, this petition gets submitted just days before they are set to switch to the new jerseys.

I would assume they can keep wearing their old jerseys now, correct?

Anybody else find it interesting that the Mens Hockey team absolutely could not get there new jerseys in until Mid-February. And IRONICALLY, this petition gets submitted just days before they are set to switch to the new jerseys.

Not in NCAA events, but otherwise it appears so

They can wear them for the regular season and the WCHA playoffs. They can not wear them in the NCAA tournament.

Or ask youself the question .....why did the womens jerseys come in first?

That was my point in starting this thread... the law just says something like "UND shall be known as Fighting Sioux", and then a rambling sentence about how they shouldn't take any steps to retire the name. It's not clear UND has to do much to comply with the law, and it's not clear who would have standing to bring suit if they felt UND wasn't sufficiently complying, so I thought there would be a fair chance UND wouldn't change much until it all played out.

A few people likely to have good information have suggested that UND is instead planning to make a good faith effort to fully return to using Fighting Sioux just as they were 3 months ago, which surprises me a little, but it may be the right P.R. move.

I'm anticipating a good-faith effort to do things like enabling announcers at games to once again refer to the teams as "Fighing Sioux" and allowing the use of uniforms with Fighting Sioux logos on them, but I don't think we will be seeing UND reinventing the wheel again and reversing everything that was done with the website and the formation of the new clubs, i.e. Champions club, nodak nation, etc., at least until after the people decide in June and the constitutionality of the law is challenged in court. I think UND will be reticent to continue the ping pong game of changing and then changing back until things become more settled.

I'm betting that by close of business today, Feb 8, 2012, the ND SBoHE will file suit claiming that the state law is in violation of the state constitution and thus is void. Takers?

Can I get in for $20? I'll even give you until after Monday's meeting. Would be glad to pay it.