SiouxSports.com Forum

What happens if the first petition gains enough signatures?

jimdahl

People simply refuse to believe that Native Americans can actually have their own opinion on this nickname issue. First, we want you on our side to keep the nickname...now we want the nickname to go, so please follow along and retire it? Tim O'Keefe has his opinion...and so does Frank Black Cloud. I respect the rights of both to voice theirs.

They both have a right to an opinion. But I would believe that Mr. O'Keefe's opinion is based on better quality information than Mr. Black Cloud's.

They both have a right to an opinion. But I would believe that Mr. O'Keefe's opinion is based on better quality information than Mr. Black Cloud's.

Well said. O'Keefe spelled it out...not a complicated read or argument to understand. Logic trumps emotions when comparing those two guy's opinions.

I figure that there are 4 groups that signed the petition and are pushing to keep the name. There may be more but here is my list:

• Hockey only crowd - don't care about the university as a whole or the rest of our teams
  • The anti PC people- Scott Hennen and his stable of neo-cons, they're gonna show the gov't who's boss, problem is the NCAA is a club, not the gov't
  • Anti UND people - who want to do us harm
  • Those that don't realize the harm that it will do.

Any guesses out there on % of petition signers that fall into each category?

I support the petition process and I don't fit into anyone of those groups, especially #2 "neo-con" reference.

Frank is a sharp, sharp guy. Who's opinion is based upon better quality information? Keep in mind Frank BC has been privy to a lot more on the native american side of this (multi-state wide) than Tim O'Keefe and possesses a perspective validated by FOIA responses. Not trying to engage in a who's smarter than whom argument but Frank BC is not an uninformed ninny by any means..

Frank is a sharp, sharp guy. Who's opinion is based upon better quality information? Keep in mind Frank BC has been privy to a lot more on the native american side of this (multi-state wide) than Tim O'Keefe and possesses a perspective validated by FOIA responses. Not trying to engage in a who's smarter than whom argument but Frank BC is not an uninformed ninny by any means..

You know this how?

I'm not sure "the Native American side" is particularly pertinent at this time. There was an agreement between UND and the NCAA requiring approval from tribal governments at Spirit Lake and Standing Rock; no such approval was received from the SR government, and UND can no longer cling to the nickname without serious and wide-ranging consequences. You can bet O'Keefe is well aware of potential damage; Mr. Black Cloud may be a bright guy, but he has absolutely no insight into the risks facing UND on both the athletic and academic fronts.

I agree with what SooToo said. Also, there doesn't always seem to be a good understanding of all the FOIA information. Just because you have the information doesn't mean you know how that works within the world of college athletics. For example, UND has signed the contracts to be a full member of the Big Sky is a fact. But it is also a fact that they have not met all of the requirements to reach that status, like becoming full members of NCAA Division I or paying the full entry fee. Therefore UND is not a full, voting member of the Big Sky at this time, unlike what Mr. Black Cloud claims.