SiouxSports.com Forum

What happens if the first petition gains enough signatures?

jimdahl

I sometimes sit back and wonder how Hakstol and Roebuck feel about the situation we are in now? If everyone thinks back to the day the nickname change was announced, it was pretty obvious how those two felt. I'd like to hear them now. Both are held to a higher standard in the eyes of the fans and rightfully so. Having them share their thoughts now could really sway a crowd one way or the other. I'd like to know if Roebuck still holds the same feeling that he would "rather have the nickname than be in a college conference" or if that feeling has now changed.

I don't know them but Roebuck is retiring and I'd lay a bet that his views have not changed one iota. As far as Hakstol is concerned, it's probably the same but he's married into the UND "mob" so his views must be muted at this point.

Scott is correct.

Much of the petition crowd doesn't believe sanctions will ever be enforced or they believe they will be a non-issue if they are enforced. Seeing is believing.

I had a person tell me today, so what, the woman's team is going to be on the road.

Would the NCAA change their policy to that? I daren't predict because I could have never imagined being here. But stranger has happened ...

My great fear is many will vote to screw UND over without regard for the larger ramifications to the entire State. I'd like to see them have skin in the game before a vote. However, it won't happen. NCAA doesn't move that fast. But I'd prefer it if everyone voting really did have skin in the game.

When this vote comes up in June, the last thing you have to worry about is NDSU fans voting for it. Some will, some won't. But from the buzz thats been going on my facebook, all the UND fans I know sure seem excited to get the opportunity to vote for keeping the name. This thing is going to pass unless their is a HUGE change in public perception between now and then.

When this vote comes up in June, the last thing you have to worry about is NDSU fans voting for it. Some will, some won't. But from the buzz thats been going on my facebook, all the UND fans I know sure seem excited to get the opportunity to vote for keeping the name. This thing is going to pass unless their is a HUGE change in public perception between now and then.

There doesn't have to be a HUGE change in public perception. If the vote was tomorrow it would be a close vote that could go either way. There is a long time between now and June, and a lot can happen but I truely believe that the crowd who supports the University of North Dakota has been silent and the Fighting Sioux crowd has been making all the noise cause they have had to draw attention to themselves and their cause. So your 50 or so UND friends on facebook aren't an accurate representation of the entire fanbase or the state of ND. Just as this forum or Bville aren't always an accurate description of the entire fanbases of each school. There is an entire group of alumni of the athletic dept who are ready to go spread the word and hopefully be a voice that is just as loud for the University if the state legislature and the SBoHE fail us once again.

There doesn't have to be a HUGE change in public perception. If the vote was tomorrow it would be a close vote that could go either way. There is a long time between now and June, and a lot can happen but I truely believe that the crowd who supports the University of North Dakota has been silent and the Fighting Sioux crowd has been making all the noise cause they have had to draw attention to themselves and their cause. So your 50 or so UND friends on facebook aren't an accurate representation of the entire fanbase or the state of ND. Just as this forum or Bville aren't always an accurate description of the entire fanbases of each school. There is an entire group of alumni of the athletic dept who are ready to go spread the word and hopefully be a voice that is just as loud for the University if the state legislature and the SBoHE fail us once again.

I have begun to think that the only hope of stopping the madness is to get some of the big name hockey alumni to come out on the side of changing the name. Or if Hakstol would admit his mistake. I'm not sure whether the nickname-at-all-cost crowd would finally believe them or turn on them, too. But hockey people may be the only ones that could reach the crowd that either doesn't understand, or doesn't believe, what is happening to the University.

There is a big difference between people on here or on bisonville and facebook. Facebook is a more accurate representation of what "normal" fans are....cause not everyone on there is a bigtime fan. I think if the vote was tomorrow, you'd see UND be stuck with the name. I could be wrong, but the facebook friends of UND seem to be typical people. The sort of people who will vote yes because, "Of course UND should keep the name!" rather than doing what educated fans do, which is look and the pros and cons, as well as go out of their way to research a little bit of where this could lead to.

There is a big difference between people on here or on bisonville and facebook. Facebook is a more accurate representation of what "normal" fans are....cause not everyone on there is a bigtime fan. I think if the vote was tomorrow, you'd see UND be stuck with the name. I could be wrong, but the facebook friends of UND seem to be typical people. The sort of people who will vote yes because, "Of course UND should keep the name!" rather than doing what educated fans do, which is look and the pros and cons, as well as go out of their way to research a little bit of where this could lead to.

I totally agree with you. This site is the minority of minorities. I have lots of facebook friends excited about UND keeping the name. I also believe there is a large number of nonvocal nickname supporters on this site.

If the vote were to happen tomorrow (or this summer) I think the Pro Nickname crowd is/would be a lot more motivated to actually go to the polls...

But who knows the whole petition is likely going to be thrown out....

:crazy:

and Brett Favre retirement(s) times a trillion

I think that best describes how I have felt about this whole thing these past few years I have been on campus. Everytime I think the name is about to ride off into the sunset, it just wants to come back in some form or the other. From the forum that President Kelly had on that faithful April day in 2010 annoucing the first retirement, watching the candlelight protest marching down University, the State Law bringing it back, the rejection of said law from the NCAA, the repeal, the second retirement, the petitions, and now this.... Its been a lot to digest and I am getting burnt out on the issue. Don't get me wrong, I think its dumb that we have to go through this process of changing the name. I was upset back in 2010, but finding a way to get into the Big Sky helped heal the wound a lot. When the name retired the second time, I didn't think anything of it other than, "hopefully, this is finally over". But I was wrong...

However, Did it stop me from yelling "Let's Go Sioux" at the Gopher and Badger Hockey games in the student section, nope. Is it going to. Nope. Am I going to stop wearing my Sioux gear, Nope. Did I stop yelling "Go Sioux" at the basketball game against NDSU, nope. What was I wearing when I rushed the court, Fighting Sioux Basketball shirt, shorts, hat, etc. What am I going to do at the next sporting event... you guessed it, keep doing what I have been doing since my first football game as a freshman not to long ago, be cheering for MY team, no matter what we are called.

There is nothing else I can do other than strap on my seatbelt, and watch and see where this runaway train heads next. I feel a big time novel can be written about this.

It wasn't very long ago that I was pumped about our future next year, just the thought of playing in a REAL D-1 conference and having our first shot at the NCAA's in our sports other than hockey brought me great joy, but now I am starting to wonder if there is going to be one. Its bad enough I saw the WCHA implode, losing the Gopher and Badger rivarly, losing USD, but losing the Big Sky would be the worst

The vote, if tomorrow, IMO wouldn't be close. It would easily make 2/3rds approval. Why? The people of this state do not like their neighbors telling them what to do much less a small band of pompous, society "police" known as the NCAA. People want a voice...more importantly people want their voice to be heard! And this is becoming less and less in today's society.

Who has been making all the noise??? How about the PC zealots, the Jeanotte's of UND and the "my feelings are hurt" minority of NA's in this state. IMO without their "noise" a few years back, UND wouldn't be in this situation. Not saying I agree, as I want this nickname mess over, but I can see how many, many people in this state have had it with the NCAA, the bleeding heart NA's and their minority of supporters and the PC crowd telling North Dakotans what to say, speak, think or do.

It's going to a statewide vote. I'm going to vote "no" as I just want this over/resolved even though I feel strongly about the nickname and how it's been torn away from UND by all those JA's mentioned above. But all of you remember, we still live in a democratic society and this is not NY or CA. Again, if you were born and raised in ND or live in ND, you should have a pulse on it's people...they don't like to be told what to think, say or do. I hope I'm wrong and for the sake of UND this vote in June doesn't pass, but if I had to put money down, my guess it will and easily.

• Upvote 2

The vote, if tomorrow, IMO wouldn't be close. It would easily make 2/3rds approval. Why? The people of this state do not like their neighbors telling them what to do much less a small band of pompous, society "police" known as the NCAA. People want a voice...more importantly people want their voice to be heard! And this is becoming less and less in today's society.

Who has been making all the noise??? How about the PC zealots, the Jeanotte's of UND and the "my feelings are hurt" minority of NA's in this state. IMO without their "noise" a few years back, UND wouldn't be in this situation. Not saying I agree, as I want this nickname mess over, but I can see how many, many people in this state have had it with the NCAA, the bleeding heart NA's and their minority of supporters and the PC crowd telling North Dakotans what to say, speak, think or do.

It's going to a statewide vote. I'm going to vote "no" as I just want this over/resolved even though I feel strongly about the nickname and how it's been torn away from UND by all those JA's mentioned above. But all of you remember, we still live in a democratic society and this is not NY or CA. Again, if you were born and raised in ND or live in ND, you should have a pulse on it's people...they don't like to be told what to think, say or do. I hope I'm wrong and for the sake of UND this vote in June doesn't pass, but if I had to put money down, my guess it will and easily.

Amen! And, you're exactly right; it will pass I believe. ND people do not like a bunch of effete, smarter-than-thou knobs imposing this or that. And, you're exactly right in that it's the Leigh Jeanotte's on UND that have placed UND in this predicament. Blaming the people of ND is a distortion. Blame and hold accountable the few politically correct whiners that made this an issue in the first place. In Dickinson, a group of bed-wetters a few years ago tried to "persuade" the folks there to retire the "Midgets" nickname and were promptly told to pound sand. That's exactly what should have happened at UND. If you're pissed that UND is being held hostage, be pissed at those folks and at the NCAA who is holding UND hostage. All of this NCAA is a "voluntary private" club crap aside (which it is not), this is the psychology that many on here are acquiescing to. Much has been made here about making this a political issue, which it is becoming more and more. There are national media outlets picking it up and calling Eunice, etc for interviews. Instead of railing against people (Native Americans being victimized, no less) why doesn't everyone on this board call Hoeven's office and Conrad's office and Berg's office and tell their relatives to do the same thing? Cede anything to this sort of imperious, effete, it's our way (Jeanotte, Sharon Carson sp?) or you're dead mentality? NFW. To see this garbage on a national level, just look at Pres. Obama and his health care plan requirement forcing churches to pay the health insurance costs for things that run against their teachings.

• Upvote 2

WOW if you hockey (pro Sioux name) people can't see that losing MN and WI in hockey is a big deal then you're blind. Your hockey program will start a down hill slide, mark it down. Sioux hockey fans pay the big money to see WI and MN. and with them not on the schedule you're screwed. I posted it a month ago or so that Hakstol and all the big shots need to hold a press conference and tell all the people of ND to not vote for this.

• Upvote 2

WOW if you hockey (pro Sioux name) people can't see that losing MN and WI in hockey is a big deal then you're blind. Your hockey program will start a down hill slide, mark it down. Sioux hockey fans pay the big money to see WI and MN. and with them not on the schedule you're screwed. I posted it a month ago or so that Hakstol and all the big shots need to hold a press conference and tell all the people of ND to not vote for this.

But they can feel the pride of wearing their beer stained Sioux jerseys in a half-full REA as UND plays Minot State or St. John's to round out the schedule.

I agree that if this thing gets on the ballot, the University could be in trouble. The Herald has a poll on it's website and so far, voters would approve the name by a 64%-36% margin.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/228879/

Hopefully the SBoHE decides to challenge the constitionalilty of the bill at their meeting on Monday.

University of North Dakota Spirit Lake Sioux? ???? Not a real good ring to it

Let's just change to the University of North Dakota Tsunami, and be done with it. :bigsmile:

We can yell Let's Go "Tsu" all we want. (Miami Hurricanes are known as the Canes. Dallas Mavericks as the Mavs.)

But they can feel the pride of wearing their beer stained Sioux jerseys in a half-full REA as UND plays Minot State or St. John's to round out the schedule.

As a member of Bisonville said, you may need to change Sioux Yeah Yeah cheer to "Sioux D-2!" Another suggested possibly making a shirt that says, "Fighting Sioux Big Sky Tour: 2012-2012" This is absolutely ridiculous that there is a soul left who wants them to try and fight to save a nickname that will destroy athletics. I feel bad for the rational fans.

As a member of Bisonville said, you may need to change Sioux Yeah Yeah cheer to "Sioux D-2!" Another suggested possibly making a shirt that says, "Fighting Sioux Big Sky Tour: 2012-2012" This is absolutely ridiculous that there is a soul left who wants them to try and fight to save a nickname that will destroy athletics. I feel bad for the rational fans.

Hey JohnboyND7,

We didn't ask for your thoughts on the issue or your comments. Please go kick rocks, pal!

In response to the "Sioux D-2" and "Fighting Sioux Big Sky Tour: 2012 -2012" Not original enough. Keep trying... :whistling:

Hey JohnboyND7,

We didn't ask for your thoughts on the issue or your comments. Please go kick rocks, pal!

You are clearly one of the "Save-Nickname-Instead-of-Athletics" people. Go read the sayanythingblog. You'll find more people like you there.

We didn't ask him, but he apparantly will have the opportunity to vote his opinion on the matter.

As a North Dakota resident...I will have that chance if it isn't found unconstitutional. Which from the little I looked into it, it sure seemed the SBOHE would be in charge of this, but we've all seen strange things happen before.

You are clearly one of the "Save-Nickname-Instead-of-Athletics" people. Go read the sayanythingblog. You'll find more people like you there.

A supporter yes. A person who is smarter and more educated than you, yes again.

Yeah, the athletic department is screwed. :whistling: Football team won't get into the Big Sky etc... When have you seen a conference league kick out a team? I know the presidents of the schools in the conference league can vote out the Sioux with a majority of the vote... I'm sure that'll be great PR coverage and attention for the league. I'm sure the Big Sky would welcome that with open arms, right?

So, yeah....