SiouxSports.com Forum

What happens if the first petition gains enough signatures?

jimdahl

A supporter yes. A person who is smarter and more educated than you, yes again.

Yeah, the athletic department is screwed. :whistling: Football team won't get into the Big Sky etc... When have you seen a conference league kick out a team? I know the presidents of the schools in the conference league can vote out the Sioux with a majority of the vote... I'm sure that'll be great PR coverage and attention for the league. I'm sure the Big Sky would welcome that with open arms, right?

So, yeah....

The reason it would be easy to do is because they haven't even joined the league yet. And they are 600 miles from the closest school. And they don't have a travel partner.

But, as long as hockey fans get to keep the nickname - lets take the chance!! ITS WORTH IT.

The reason it would be easy to do is because they haven't even joined the league yet. And they are 600 miles from the closest school. And they don't have a travel partner.

But, as long as hockey fans get to keep the nickname - lets take the chance!! ITS WORTH IT.

Love the football team, proud supporter and they WILL get into the Big Sky. But let's not forget the hockey team was always a D-1 sport at the University. If you're going to whine about the nickname doing damage to the football team and other sports, there's always the option of going back to D-II. You, please take your sarcasm somewhere else.

Love the football team, proud supporter and they WILL get into the Big Sky. But let's not forget the hockey team was always a D-1 sport at the University. If you're going to whine about the nickname doing damage to the football team and other sports, there's always the option of going back to D-II. You, please take your sarcasm somewhere else.

So its all about hockey and protecting their Division I legacy. The rest of the sports can do whatever they want.

Got it, thanks.

In DII, we would still be under sanctions.

In DIII, we would still be under sanctions.

The sanctions apply to the hockey team too.

So its all about hockey and protecting their Division I legacy. The rest of the sports can do whatever they want.

Got it, thanks.

You're welcome. I'm sorry your love for other sports at UND will unfortunately never be as big as UND hockey. I"m sorry if you're a die hard football and/or basketball fan. Those sports will never be as big as hockey on campus or in the Grand Forks community. In addition, the university should cut back on certain sports soon. I'm looking at the baseball program, but hey, I'm not here to cause problems.

The sanctions apply to the hockey team too.

But....but....THEY CAN'T DO THAT TO UND!!!!!!111 Seriously, this is getting out of hand, the nickname people think this won't do anything to you guys. The hockey fans saying it is worth it? Why not just get rid of the name and see the whole athletic department do fine and probably (kills me to say this) compete for championships in some sports? If/when anything terrible happens to the UND athletic department, I'll grant you guys amnesty and welcome any takers to become NDSU fans ;)

Hockey fanatics, if Minnesota and Wisconsin won't play UND anymore, what kind of effects would you anticipate? Recruiting downgrade? Fewer ticket sales? Difficulty filling schedule with solid opponents?

You're welcome. I'm sorry your love for other sports at UND will unfortunately never be as big as UND hockey. I"m sorry if you're a die hard football and/or basketball fan. Those sports will never be as big as hockey on campus or in the Grand Forks community. In addition, the university should cut back on certain sports soon. I'm looking at the baseball program, but hey, I'm not hear to cause problems.

At least you admitted it.

So in your eyes, athletic departments around the country should sacrifice sports #2-16 at any time if it will benefit sport #1? Interesting theory.

Let's just change to the University of North Dakota Tsunami, and be done with it. :bigsmile:

We can yell Let's Go "Tsu" all we want. (Miami Hurricanes are known as the Canes. Dallas Mavericks as the Mavs.)

True story...we played in a broomball tournament in 2004 the day after the giant tsunami hit Indonesia...one of the teams in the tournament was a team called "Tsunami". The team had been around for YEARS. After their first game (we were up next), their opponent and several fans chided them for being insensitive and expressed disgust at their jerseys. 24 hours earlier, those same people would have had to google the word "tsunami" to find out what it meant.

I know your nickname was tongue-in-cheek, but much like the Utah high school "Cougar" story, you simply can't make this stuff up.

A supporter yes. A person who is smarter and more educated than you, yes again.

Yeah, the athletic department is screwed. :whistling: Football team won't get into the Big Sky etc... When have you seen a conference league kick out a team? I know the presidents of the schools in the conference league can vote out the Sioux with a majority of the vote... I'm sure that'll be great PR coverage and attention for the league. I'm sure the Big Sky would welcome that with open arms, right?

So, yeah....

When have you seen a conference kick out a team? When have you ever seen a situation as clustered and unique such as this one?

Kicking UND out wouldn't be good or bad attention to the league. They have all the reason in the world to if they so choose. The Big Sky would probably rather take a bit of a PR hit and get rid of this mess than get dragged into this mess.

It is but a matter of time until the nickname is gone. Whether its 6 months or 5 years. "Sioux" fans will lose this battle at some point.

So in your eyes, athletic departments around the country should sacrifice sports #2-16 at any time if it will benefit sport #1? Interesting theory.

Do you think sacrifices in programs 2-16 at Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Alabama, or LSU are made to benefit program #1?

We can all agree that Mr. Fullerton said that it takes a unanamous vote from all 11 presidents of the Big Sky to kick us out. That is fact, so I propose one question for everyone both sides of the issue.

Wouldn't you think our university president, Mr. Kelly, would be forging partnerships and relationships with these presidents to assure this would not happen?

For God's sake he doesn't need all 11 in his favor, he just needs one! Is he so inept that he can't get one on his side? That is pretty piss poor if you ask me. He obviously doesn't have confidence he can because of his gloom and doom rehtoric. Mr. Kelley has said in the past that the Montana's look forward to the academic partnerships that they could persue. Well pursue them then...let's forge some relationships and partnerships. Our state and this University have a lot going for it so let's get together with these guys and make it happen.

I ask you this...if Tom Clifford was at the helm would our stance with the Big Sky be in peril? He would have at least one if not many of the Big Sky presidents in his favor. It's time for Mr. Kelley to lead and not follow!

Do you think sacrifices in programs 2-16 at Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Alabama, or LSU are made to benefit program #1?

Sacrifices like sending them back to D2 or cutting the programs all together? No. That is what SiouxForever called for.

You guys are so delusional. BTW, the AD at LSU and Alabama doesn't need to make sacrifices to support their football programs, they are just fine on their own.

I not looking it as a theory, I'm looking it as a bottom line issue. NCAA schools across the nation are losing too much money providing the opportunity and these kids playing sports, such as baseball, football, golf, (I;m speaking in terms of smaller college btw) that really bring no ROI to the school, the only value is the supporting value to the kids that play those spots and meet great friends and get to travel to wonderful location in the country and to meet/compete against students from all over.

I wouldn't hire you as an employee. You belong working for a non-profit.

You're welcome. I'm sorry your love for other sports at UND will unfortunately never be as big as UND hockey. I"m sorry if you're a die hard football and/or basketball fan. Those sports will never be as big as hockey on campus or in the Grand Forks community. In addition, the university should cut back on certain sports soon. I'm looking at the baseball program, but hey, I'm not here to cause problems.

At different times the basketball and football programs have both been bigger at UND than the hockey program. There is a good chance that one or both could reach that level again. Everything in sports goes in cycles.

And even the hockey program is going to be affected by this issue. Losing historic rivals is going to hurt. It could hurt recruiting, it could hurt ticket sales. The NCAA has talked at times about returning the first round of the playoffs to the campus sites. UND would not be able to host those if they happen. The new hockey conference could adopt the same policy of limiting playoff hosting. Other conferences have adapted similar NCAA policies. The hockey program will be affected by this policy.

At different times the basketball and football programs have both been bigger at UND than the hockey program. There is a good chance that one or both could reach that level again. Everything in sports goes in cycles.

And even the hockey program is going to be affected by this issue. Losing historic rivals is going to hurt. It could hurt recruiting, it could hurt ticket sales. The NCAA has talked at times about returning the first round of the playoffs to the campus sites. UND would not be able to host those if they happen. The new hockey conference could adopt the same policy of limiting playoff hosting. Other conferences have adapted similar NCAA policies. The hockey program will be affected by this policy.

Tell me more, you seem like you're an "expert" and know all the variables and indications. Impressive. You tell 'em!

You do realize that these schools you listed have so much money generated from their football programs that the football revenue basically covers all sports. Basically, sport #1, if any of the sports, is the one making sacrifices.

We can all agree that Mr. Fullerton said that it takes a unanamous vote from all 11 presidents of the Big Sky to kick us out. That is fact, so I propose one question for everyone both sides of the issue.

Wouldn't you think our university president, Mr. Kelly, would be forging partnerships and relationships with these presidents to assure this would not happen?

For God's sake he doesn't need all 11 in his favor, he just needs one! Is he so inept that he can't get one on his side? That is pretty piss poor if you ask me. He obviously doesn't have confidence he can because of his gloom and doom rehtoric. Mr. Kelley has said in the past that the Montana's look forward to the academic partnerships that they could persue. Well pursue them then...let's forge some relationships and partnerships. Our state and this University have a lot going for it so let's get together with these guys and make it happen.

I ask you this...if Tom Clifford was at the helm would our stance with the Big Sky be in peril? He would have at least one if not many of the Big Sky presidents in his favor. It's time for Mr. Kelley to lead and not follow!

The vote would be of all presidents except the school involved. So President Kelley would not vote on the issue.

Have you ever served on a board or committee? How many votes are unanimous? Almost all of them. Normally you end up with a group that feels very strongly about the issue, and may have a group that doesn't feel very strongly. The group that doesn't feel strongly about it just votes with the crowd. And it is very rare that a single person is going to stand up against the group unless they have a vested interest in the issue. Nobody is going to put their relationship with the group on the block for a new guy. And it is doubtful that even Clifford could prevent this problem with the Big Sky.

• Upvote 1

I not looking it as a theory, I'm looking it as a bottom line issue. NCAA schools across the nation are losing too much money providing the opportunity and these kids playing sports, such as baseball, football, golf, (I;m speaking in terms of smaller college btw) that really bring no ROI to the school, the only value is the supporting value to the kids that play those spots and meet great friends and get to travel to wonderful location in the country and to meet/compete against students from all over.

I wouldn't hire you as an employee. You belong working for a non-profit.

You are a really smart guy. If athletic departments around the country went by your idea, there would be 1, maybe 2 sports at each college because 95% of them lose money. It's pretty obvious to everybody but you that college athletic departments are built around giving student athletes the opportunity to play sports at the collegiate level, whether their chosen program is fiscally viable or not. Somehow these schools have made it work for over 100 years.

When was THAT? 1994-1996? A bad 3-year stretch of hockey?

I think Hakstol needs to talk about this issue. Hockey fans idolize him because he voiced his opinion on the nickname now without Minny and Wisconsin on the slate after next season what next? Just think how the interlocking uniforms will look on the road to the frozen four will look with just the name North Dakota in the programs and on the PA system. Only at home will the "Sioux" jerseys and the name be seen and heard. I think its sad that the women's team would have to move the game to Fargo instead of playing at home for the playoffs.