SiouxSports.com Forum

What happens if the first petition gains enough signatures?

jimdahl

You are a really smart guy. If athletic departments around the country went by your idea, there would be 1, maybe 2 sports at each college because 95% of them lose money. It's pretty obvious to everybody but you that college athletic departments are built around giving student athletes the opportunity to play sports at the collegiate level, whether their chosen program is fiscally viable or not. Somehow these schools have made it work for over 100 years.

You don't think I'm aware of the % that colleges loose money with other sports? Your comment/responses are worthless. If I were you, I'd quit posting on this board for the day. You're only hurting any credibility that you may have had.

You do realize that these schools you listed have so much money generated from their football programs that the football revenue basically covers all sports. Basically, sport #1, if any of the sports, is the one making sacrifices.

Schools all over the country are discussing eliminating sports. You only need to look at St Cloud State and their football program for something local.

1987-1997 between titles.

LOL...so going 10 years between NATIONAL hockey titles affects attendance and qualifies as a time frame when football and basketball were bigger interests on campus? How has attendance at REA been during the "down years of Sioux hockey," or 2001-2011?

I think Hakstol needs to talk about this issue. Hockey fans idolize him because he voiced his opinion on the nickname now without Minny and Wisconsin on the slate after next season what next?

He was asked on the coach's show this week. He said "no comment". He'll probably issue another super double secret email shortly....................

You don't think I'm aware of the % that colleges loose money with other sports? Your comment/responses are worthless. If I were you, I'd quit posting on this board for the day. You're only hurting any credibility that you may have had.

Nobody has any credibility on a message board. You should know that.

Question for you: If the name changes and is deemed to never come back, will you still go to hockey games?

LOL...so going 10 years between NATIONAL hockey titles affects attendance and qualifies as a time frame when football and basketball were bigger interests on campus? How has attendance at REA been during the "down years of Sioux hockey," or 2001-2011?

With new sanctions and a new hockey conference attendance may suffer..oh wait without football, basketball, and volleyball...there will be nothing else to do in GF but go to a hockey game. Of course they could see DI football and basketball and volleyball in Fargo.

When was THAT? 1994-1996? A bad 3-year stretch of hockey?

it may have been quite a few years ago, but when I was a student (in the 70's) & Rube Bjorkman was the hockey coach, the football team was bigger than hockey. I think basketball was also bigger in the 60's. I know, a long time ago for some of you, but history has a way of repeating itself.

Sacrifices like sending them back to D2 or cutting the programs all together? No. That is what SiouxForever called for.

You guys are so delusional. BTW, the AD at LSU and Alabama doesn't need to make sacrifices to support their football programs, they are just fine on their own.

Really? Have you seen the stands at an Alabama basketball game lately? Maybe they need to cut a dozen football scholarships and find some basketball players. Or maybe Alabama understands that nothing will change the fact that football butters the bread...like hockey in Grand Forks. Unless you're one of the visionaries picturing 25,000 fans watching football every weekend at the Alerus Center.

We can all agree that Mr. Fullerton said that it takes a unanamous vote from all 11 presidents of the Big Sky to kick us out. That is fact, so I propose one question for everyone both sides of the issue.

Wouldn't you think our university president, Mr. Kelly, would be forging partnerships and relationships with these presidents to assure this would not happen?

For God's sake he doesn't need all 11 in his favor, he just needs one! Is he so inept that he can't get one on his side? That is pretty piss poor if you ask me. He obviously doesn't have confidence he can because of his gloom and doom rehtoric. Mr. Kelley has said in the past that the Montana's look forward to the academic partnerships that they could persue. Well pursue them then...let's forge some relationships and partnerships. Our state and this University have a lot going for it so let's get together with these guys and make it happen.

I ask you this...if Tom Clifford was at the helm would our stance with the Big Sky be in peril? He would have at least one if not many of the Big Sky presidents in his favor. It's time for Mr. Kelley to lead and not follow!

Don't be getting all logical right in the middle of a hysterical frenzy! Listening to people on this forum reminds me of a woman I once saw right after car accident.

• Upvote 1

The vote would be of all presidents except the school involved. So President Kelley would not vote on the issue.

Have you ever served on a board or committee? How many votes are unanimous? Almost all of them. Normally you end up with a group that feels very strongly about the issue, and may have a group that doesn't feel very strongly. The group that doesn't feel strongly about it just votes with the crowd. And it is very rare that a single person is going to stand up against the group unless they have a vested interest in the issue. Nobody is going to put their relationship with the group on the block for a new guy. And it is doubtful that even Clifford could prevent this problem with the Big Sky.

If we forge relationships and partnerships they would have a vested interest in the issue. We should be doing that already for academic reasons and not to save our Big Sky membership. No brainer...time for Mr. Kelley to lead and not follow...

it may have been quite a few years ago, but when I was a student (in the 70's) & Rube Bjorkman was the hockey coach, the football team was bigger than hockey. I think basketball was also bigger in the 60's. I know, a long time ago for some of you, but history has a way of repeating itself.

I remember getting ice level tickets to a UND hockey game in the mid 80's without reserving it just walking up asking for a seat close to the ice and boom. Half the arena was empty.

Schools all over the country are discussing eliminating sports. You only need to look at St Cloud State and their football program for something local.

And to remain a member of Division I you need to have a minimum number of sports spread between men and women and spread across all seasons. I would have to look it up to be sure, but I believe that it is a minimum of either 6 men and 8 women's sports or 7 and 7, with at least 1 sport for each gender in the fall, 1 in the spring and 1 in the winter. So there is a limit to how many "money losing" sports that can be cut.

dakota is correct about a couple examples of when other sports were bigger than hockey. As he said, history has a habit of repeating itself.

Nobody has any credibility on a message board. You should know that.

Question for you: If the name changes and is deemed to never come back, will you still go to hockey games?

Except you and me! :hypocrite:;)

Yes and FB...have season tickets for both. To me, a fan is a fan even though this whole process is screwed up and UND IMO is completely getting railroaded by the NCAA.

I want "closure".

bincitysioux himself was just griping about men's basketball attendance being under 1,600 per game on another forum.

Except you and me! :hypocrite:;)

Yes and FB...have season tickets for both. To me, a fan is a fan even though this whole process is screwed up and UND IMO is completely getting railroaded by the NCAA.

I want "closure".

LOL, Oxbow...nice to see you again. Looks like your tears have dried from Brett Favre retiring. :lol:

Whatever the name is I will always be a fan of North Dakota athletics. I support the green and white. If they are the no-names hey been there done that (GFC). Its not worth throwing away sports just for one name and logo. If UND had the old logo the geometric Indian head would there still be this much outcry?? I know a lot of people were mad when the Blackhawk logo was retried from President Baker but what if this current logo that Brien made didn't exist. Would there be petitions? Is it more the logo than the name?

I remember getting ice level tickets to a UND hockey game in the mid 80's without reserving it just walking up asking for a seat close to the ice and boom. Half the arena was empty.

And I remember standing in line at 3:00 pm during the 88/89 season waiting for the doors to open up at 6:00 pm for the Friday night Gopher game. The Dakota Student reported that several thousand students went home without getting into the rink. Most games required you to be in line by 4:30-5:00 pm in order to get a decent seat.

LOL, Oxbow...nice to see you again. Looks like your tears have dried from Brett Favre retiring. :lol:

Sweat, beer stained Sioux hockey sweaters have nothing on the faded green and gold #4 in my closet, but my man-crush on ARog just grows every year! :D

bincitysioux himself was just griping about men's basketball attendance being under 1,600 per game on another forum.

I'm shocked you went into another forum other than the Hockey or Nickname ones.

Do ya think maybe the poor attendance at basketball games has anything at all to do with a crappy schedule that is the result of no conference affilitation?

And I remember standing in line at 3:00 pm during the 88/89 season for the doors to open up at 6:00 pm for the Friday night Gopher game. The Dakota Student reported that several thousand students went home without getting into the rink.

After 2012-2013 season you won't be waiting for a Gopher game. How big was the line for a UND-Northern Michigan game in 88-89 or a UND-CC game. Not that long.

And to remain a member of Division I you need to have a minimum number of sports spread between men and women and spread across all seasons. I would have to look it up to be sure, but I believe that it is a minimum of either 6 men and 8 women's sports or 7 and 7, with at least 1 sport for each gender in the fall, 1 in the spring and 1 in the winter. So there is a limit to how many "money losing" sports that can be cut.

dakota is correct about a couple examples of when other sports were bigger than hockey. As he said, history has a habit of repeating itself.

I was simply pointing out that schools are eliminating sports or considering that thought...not implying that UND wipe out its bocce ball team in order to save money for hockey.

And I remember standing in line at 3:00 pm during the 88/89 season waiting for the doors to open up at 6:00 pm for the Friday night Gopher game. The Dakota Student reported that several thousand students went home without getting into the rink. Most games required you to be in line by 4:30-5:00 pm in order to get a decent seat.

Luckily the lines will be alot shorter in the future since Minnesota won't be coming back to Grand Forks..............................

I remember those lines fondly!

Sweat, beer stained Sioux hockey sweaters have nothing on the faded green and gold #4 in my closet, but my man-crush on ARog just grows every year! :D

I told you clowns that it wasn't the end of the world, LOL, but you guys KILLED me on that thread. All of my Packer fan friends now SWEAR that they thought Ted Thompson was right all along. Riiiiight.