SiouxSports.com Forum

What happens if the first petition gains enough signatures?

jimdahl

All I want is for the NCHC to come out and say, "If you have sanctions against you due to the Sioux nickname, your membership in the league will be reviewed".

Let's hear from the hockey crowd then. Would they like independent hockey?

Not to sounds like a jerk but UND is a founding member of the NCHC and it's not going to happen.

Once again,the reason is simple...money. These programs make money for the league, scandal or no scandal. Same with UND...that is why they haven't kicked us out already...they think we will be good for the conference...if we are not viable after Fullertons "wait and see" they will consider it but I am willing to bet we will be viable sanctions or not.

We have to face the facts from the Big Sky Conference point of view, when they offered us an invite two big factors were going for us when they made their decision:

1) USD was also expected to join the conference, giving UND a travel partner and making an even number for scheduling. When USD bailed at the last second it hung UND out in the wind, giving visiting teams no second game within driving distance, and made UND a sore toe on the footprint that the Big Sky is. Along with that it screwed up any plans they had of a balanced schedule, 13 is still a prime number and prime numbers are not schedule friendly. Strike 1.

2) When the BSC offer was made the nickname issue was set to be a done deal, it was brought up many times by all parties involved that the deadline was well before UND joined the BSC, and the deadline for gaining the required support or relinquishing the nickname was set in stone. Fullerton had said it would not be an issue because it would be settled and both the NCAA and UND would abide by the result. And so it seemed. Then Carlson happened, then the repeal, then the petitions, and now....? The BSC does not want this issue in any way associated with their league, and I don't blame them. Strike 2.

What we have to offer the BSC as a quality institution of learning is being overshadowed by the perception that the people of North Dakota are more concerned with hanging on to a nickname and crippling not only their schools current and future athletes but also any league foolish enough to accept them as a member. Do people really think this is going to stop with Minnesota and Wisconsin not scheduling us for hockey? This is just the beginning. It's going to be every sport, and more schools...maybe many more. What do you think the BSC thinks of that statement? Do they want their teams playing non-conference games against teams like UM, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc... or Mayville, Minot, Dickinson? This is not what they're looking for in a member.

Don't kid yourself, UNDs membership in the BSC is not a done deal, the shine has come off the apple and if the school is forced to go under sanctions I would say our chances of gaining membership will be under 50%.

I have been a Fighting Sioux fan for 50 years (yeah I'm that old) and the thought of losing the name makes me sick, but it is not bigger than the University itself or the people who have and will attend it, and we cannot allow it to damage the current and future athletes or derail what is the biggest single event in the history of UND athletics...being admitted into the Big Sky Conference.

• Upvote 1

Frank Burgraff just came off like a complete dumbass on KFGO. He basically admitted he could not care less that UND will never be able to host a home football playoff game.

"It's all about doing the right thing for the native americans". OK Frank. And in the meantime, the UND athletic teams will not have a conference to play in. Sounds good to me, Mr. Hockey.

Frank was never "Mr. Hockey" He was average on a good night. . His brother Mike was a better player. I also don't put much faith in a guy who tries to make himself a spokesperson for UND athletes or UND hockey players when I can't find his name on the list of donors published in this years hockey program. Wasn't he an airline pilot?? Should have been able to contribute something in return for his education and hockey experience.

Frank came on just as there was a resurgence in UND hockey. Until then you could walk up to the Arena and get in with your student ID and there were plenty of empty seats. There were a lot of FB guys supporting the hockey team in those days and the FB staff lobbied Clifford on Gino's behalf when Miller was not going to hire him. Those guys seem to forget who had their back then. UND hockey is a great program with a great tradition. If the Frank Burgraffs are the guys who will be point men for UND hockey we are in trouble. Hockey hasn't always been and will not always be the top sport at UND. Hopefull it will be very difficult for another sport to regain that spot cuz that means hockey is still doing well. The change in hockey leagues and the statement from Wisconsin and Minnesota does not bode well for our future. We have more empty seats this year at the Ralph than I have seen since it opened. UND hockey needs to stay focused on what is important for UND hockey and that is not this name. If the name comes back , embrace it but don't crap on those who were there for you when you needed every fan and supporter you could get. The rest of UND and UND athletics were there for hockey. They need to be there for UND and UND athletics. The impact of Ralph's gifts have been tremendous but the other schools have made inroads. Those of you who have turned this into a hockey vs everyone else are not doing hockey or UND any favors.

Frank was never "Mr. Hockey" He was average on a good night. . His brother Mike was a better player. I also don't put much faith in a guy who tries to make himself a spokesperson for UND athletes or UND hockey players when I can't find his name on the list of donors published in this years hockey program. Wasn't he an airline pilot?? Should have been able to contribute something in return for his education and hockey experience.

Frank came on just as there was a resurgence in UND hockey. Until then you could walk up to the Arena and get in with your student ID and there were plenty of empty seats. There were a lot of FB guys supporting the hockey team in those days and the FB staff lobbied Clifford on Gino's behalf when Miller was not going to hire him. Those guys seem to forget who had their back then. UND hockey is a great program with a great tradition. If the Frank Burgraffs are the guys who will be point men for UND hockey we are in trouble. Hockey hasn't always been and will not always be the top sport at UND. Hopefull it will be very difficult for another sport to regain that spot cuz that means hockey is still doing well. The change in hockey leagues and the statement from Wisconsin and Minnesota does not bode well for our future. We have more empty seats this year at the Ralph than I have seen since it opened. UND hockey needs to stay focused on what is important for UND hockey and that is not this name. If the name comes back , embrace it but don't crap on those who were there for you when you needed every fan and supporter you could get. The rest of UND and UND athletics were there for hockey. They need to be there for UND and UND athletics. The impact of Ralph's gifts have been tremendous but the other schools have made inroads. Those of you who have turned this into a hockey vs everyone else are not doing hockey or UND any favors.

That includes a number of people on both sides of the issue.

I did graduate from UND...I am a season ticket holder for sports other than hockey. I was at the volleyball game against NDSU. I was at Purpur arena to watch the Women's hockey team beat Bemidji in overtime of the WCHA playoffs last year. Don't put me in a box. Being ranked #23 is not my goal for the football team either but I think it is a pretty good start for a team going through D1 transition. I am very excited for all of UND sports as we go forward in D1. I just don't have the belief that the nickname or sanctions will harm us as we are hearing. I also think that there is the ultimate end game that will end off of this controversy once and for all and that is a vote from Standing Rock and I think we are one step closer to that now.

Dave or Jeff??

The fact that our two biggest rivals in hockey won't play us won't harm us??? If we get into the Big Sky we can deal with the issue of not hosting playoffs in other sports but it means we give up an advantage we earn. It is a bigger disadvantage to hockey because of the last line change rule for the home team. It would hurt our womens hockey and who knows what will happen in the future with the rules for men's tournaments. Losing Gophers and Badger games and anyone else who won't play us will be a factor for some when it comes time to recruit because recruits do look at schedules. They may wish to play in front of their home state fans. If we lose the name how would that ever hurt our ability to either compete or recruit?? Which is more important? Losing the name does nothing to harm UND athletics. NCAA sanctions certainly can.

Breaking News: Faison said UND is working on a compromise for the Womens Hockey Team to play in Fargo if they are indeed rewarded a home playoff game.

Honestly, I hope the NCAA says "No".

They, the NCAA, have a legal settement agreement with the State of North Dakota. The State of North Dakota.

The NCAA doesn't have to do any favors to anything North Dakota, like letting any ND city benefit from hosting an NCAA playoff game.

The NCAA's agreement is with the State. The NCAA needs to remind the State of that.

There’s a law on the books in Mississippi that says the Confederate flag must be in the state flag. Mississippi state law. And for it, the NCAA will never allow an NCAA tournament game in the state. The SEC followed suit, so Ole Miss and Miss State never can host SEC or NCAA post season events in Mississippi.

If North Dakota puts a law onto its books, shouldn’t the whole state of ND have to pay the price? Happened to Mississippi, and to South Carolina (another Confederate flag issue).

There are lots of NDSU fans out there who’d love to vote yes and screw UND.

If the NCAA had “state law – state sanctions” as the enforcement policy for the moniker policy (which they can do because it's their private association) it would give many anti-UND voters pause as they’d also be screwing every other NCAA member in the state, namely, U of Mary, Minot State, and NDSU.

The NCAA doing that would allow them a chance to flex their "we know better" muscles on this moniker policy issue again. And we know they love that.

So if I were counselling the NCAA I'd tell them, "If no state law, sanctions on violating school only. If state law, it was put in by the State, so punish the State."

And the NCAA has the Mississippi and South Carolina precedents to point to if they do it.

• Upvote 3

Would the NCAA change their policy to that? I daren't predict because I could have never imagined being here. But stranger has happened ...

My great fear is many will vote to screw UND over without regard for the larger ramifications to the entire State. I'd like to see them have skin in the game before a vote. However, it won't happen. NCAA doesn't move that fast. But I'd prefer it if everyone voting really did have skin in the game.

tread lightly sica we ndsu fans are voters also, i would not vote for the nickname because i can see the harm in it but it is posters like you that make it awful tempting. youre moderators should erase some of youre posts for the good of the school

Talk to your friends at Bville. Many on that board have said they would sign the petitions/did sign the petitions. And they plan to vote for the law(s). That's been going on for months. This is the first time anyone on this board even mentioned the idea and you are ready to attack both tSic and UND. He just mentioned something that is within the realm of possibility, but very unlikely to happen. Try getting some of your revenge minded friends to back away and not make this farce worse than it is now.

I sometimes sit back and wonder how Hakstol and Roebuck feel about the situation we are in now? If everyone thinks back to the day the nickname change was announced, it was pretty obvious how those two felt. I'd like to hear them now. Both are held to a higher standard in the eyes of the fans and rightfully so. Having them share their thoughts now could really sway a crowd one way or the other. I'd like to know if Roebuck still holds the same feeling that he would "rather have the nickname than be in a college conference" or if that feeling has now changed.

Beings the membership at siouxsports.com is a small microcosm of the UND community, its going to take more than rants on this forum for the referendum to be defeated. There are a number of people that support UND wholeheartedly that signed the petitions. It's not so simple as to suggest that they are "hockey only" fans, or that they are NDSU fans that are out to get UND. In their minds they are doing what is right. There are a number of people that didn't sign the petition that will vote the same as these people. I hope getting all snarky and labeling those that signed the petition and those that support the Sioux name as being "less smart" isn't the prevailing method of getting out the information on the expected consequences. What's next?

• Upvote 1