SiouxSports.com Forum

What happens if the first petition gains enough signatures?

jimdahl

I told you clowns that it wasn't the end of the world, LOL, but you guys KILLED me on that thread. All of my Packer fan friends now SWEAR that they thought Ted Thompson was right all along. Riiiiight.

You were/are wise beyond your years, young fella!

After 2012-2013 season you won't be waiting for a Gopher game. How big was the line for a UND-Northern Michigan game in 88-89 or a UND-CC game. Not that long.

And that'll be true REGARDLESS of whether it's Sioux or Glittery Unicorns as the nickname.

Ummm...88-89 NMU games were unbelievable...and the crowds were pretty good in the following years as NMU was solid in '88-'92 and won the national title in '91. Best UND home game I ever saw was the Sioux coming back from a 5-0 third period deficit against the Wildcats to earn a 5-5 OT tie.

Luckily the lines will be alot shorter in the future since Minnesota won't be coming back to Grand Forks..............................

I'm a broken record...change the nickname tomorrow and they won't be coming back to Grand Forks any more than once every 5-10 years anyways.

I'm shocked you went into another forum other than the Hockey or Nickname ones.

Do ya think maybe the poor attendance at basketball games has anything at all to do with a crappy schedule that is the result of no conference affilitation?

During my time at UND, I rarely missed a football, hockey, men's basketball, OR women's basketball game. Just an FYI for you since you think I'm a hockey nut.

Do you Sioux hockey players get up for a game against Michigan Tech because they're an in-conference rival or might be more excited about a non-conference game against BC or Maine?

I'm a broken record...change the nickname tomorrow and they won't be coming back to Grand Forks any more than once every 5-10 years anyways.

It is not out of the realm of possibility that UND could come to agreements with both Minnesota and Wisconsin that they play one series per year, alternating the home venue each year. Hell Schlossman said the deal was nearly done with Wisco in his blog today.

Stay on the sanctions list and that possibility is gone.

During my time at UND, I rarely missed a football, hockey, men's basketball, OR women's basketball game. Just an FYI for you since you think I'm a hockey nut.

Do you Sioux hockey players get up for a game against Michigan Tech because they're an in-conference rival or might be more excited about a non-conference game against BC or Maine?

I would think they'd rather play BC than Michigan Tech. I don't know about Maine..............

You were/are wise beyond your years, young fella!

You and I had quite the back-and-forth on that thread...I'll take your comment here as a compliment. Rodgers is a great QB...and I personally think Favre will jump off a cliff if Aaron wins one more Super Bowl.

When this vote comes up in June, the last thing you have to worry about is NDSU fans voting for it. Some will, some won't. But from the buzz thats been going on my facebook, all the UND fans I know sure seem excited to get the opportunity to vote for keeping the name. This thing is going to pass unless their is a HUGE change in public perception between now and then.

The misinformation out there is what I would be concerned about. I have heard from no less than 5 people who believe if the state law is reinstated, the NCAA will step aside. Like others have said (paraphrasing), people like us who read/participate in fanboards are informed-->the same is not true for the general public, especially those that don't follow things closely.

The misinformation out there is what I would be concerned about. I have heard from no less than 5 people who believe if the state law is reinstated, the NCAA will step aside. Like others have said (paraphrasing), people like us who read/participate in fanboards are informed-->the same is not true for the general public, especially those that don't follow things closely.

I have thought quietly to myself about this same point. I didn't want to bring it up as to get taken to the woodshed on this site. I guess I don't know how far reaching is the NCAA's continued strong arming will go if it goes to the citizens of ND for a vote and it gets 2/3rd approval and becomes reinstated, again, as a state law. I assume they would hold the course, but...

I have thought quietly to myself about this same point. I didn't want to bring it up as to get taken to the woodshed on this site. I guess I don't know how far reaching is the NCAA's continued strong arming will go if it goes to the citizens of ND for a vote and it gets 2/3rd approval and becomes reinstated, again, as a state law. I assume they would hold the course, but...

I don't think I articulated clearly what I was trying say. What I meant to say is that there are people out there that believe the NCAA must step aside if Carlson's law is put back in place because it is a state law voted on by the people of the state (that's what they think this petition thing is about), not that the NCAA will step aside because of the statewide vote. In other words, they have no clue about what is actually going on. Now, add what you just posted, and do the math-->there are thousands of misinformed people out there, whether under my example, yours, both, or a combination of both and others. My guess is that we will either get a court ruling or AG opinion prior to June holding/stating that Carlson's law is unconstitutional, just as many of us have stated since the day it was enacted. I don't think the issue will get before the North Dakota Supreme Court before June unless there is some expedited procedure that can be used. What a waste of time, human resources and money tho . . . . . . . .

• Upvote 1

Just look at the issue that the NCAA has with the Confederate flag in Mississippi and South Carolina. That has been going on for about 10 years now, both states have their use of the flag in state law. I believe that in the case of South Carolina it would take either 60% or 2/3 majority to change the law. The NCAA has not backed down and have gotten the ACC and the SEC to adopt similar bans for tournaments in those states. THE NCAA WILL NOT CHANGE THEIR POSITION ON THE SANCTIONS. Not even if it goes into the constitution. That is the message that has to get out to people.

UND Alumni Association speaks

http://www.inforum.c...icle/id/350376/

Honestly, the Alumni Association needs to get serious before this vote takes place about taking out newspaper ads, TV commercials, radio ads, etc to get the facts out there to the voters about the potential ramifications before they hit the polls. It would help to get some notable former Sioux players/coaches to publically get behind the retirement of the name i.e. Lennon, Roger Thomas, Rich Glas, Kleinsasser, Guldseth, etc.....................

I highly doubt that while Frank Black Cloud and Reed Soderstrom were telling people the merits of signing the petition to preserve the name, they were also explaining what it would be like to not have conference affiliation for 18 of the 20 UND sports..............

Honestly, the Alumni Association needs to get serious before this vote takes place about taking out newspaper ads, TV commercials, radio ads, etc to get the facts out there to the voters about the potential ramifications before they hit the polls. It would help to get some notable former Sioux players/coaches to publically get behind the retirement of the name i.e. Lennon, Roger Thomas, Rich Glas, Kleinsasser, Guldseth, etc.....................

And some high profile, respected UND alumni, such as a couple former governors (Schafer, Olson) and such.

I highly doubt that while Frank Black Cloud and Reed Soderstrom were telling people the merits of signing the petition to preserve the name, they were also explaining what it would be like to not have conference affiliation for 18 of the 20 UND sports..............

People simply refuse to believe that Native Americans can actually have their own opinion on this nickname issue. First, we want you on our side to keep the nickname...now we want the nickname to go, so please follow along and retire it? Tim O'Keefe has his opinion...and so does Frank Black Cloud. I respect the rights of both to voice theirs.

UND Alumni Association speaks

http://www.inforum.c...icle/id/350376/

O'Keefe who wsa also a hockey player and certainly more of an insider than any of us on this board makes it clear. This is a problem for UND and UND hockey. UND hockey starts the transition to a new conference next year and things are not going as smoothly as we would like. At one time we hoped we might get some Hockey East schools and Notre Dame. Didn't happen. Hockey is too important at UND to lose any more ground than we have too. This is not hockey vs UND, or Vs FB , or vs all other sports. O'Keefe makes that pretty clear.

I figure that there are 4 groups that signed the petition and are pushing to keep the name. There may be more but here is my list:

• Hockey only crowd - don't care about the university as a whole or the rest of our teams
  • The anti PC people- Scott Hennen and his stable of neo-cons, they're gonna show the gov't who's boss, problem is the NCAA is a club, not the gov't
  • Anti UND people - who want to do us harm
  • Those that don't realize the harm that it will do.

Any guesses out there on % of petition signers that fall into each category?