SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Recruiting

sioux24/7

AmAs far as geographical coherance..... would you rather drive to Vermillion SD or charter a flight out to Cali? Play at SDSU or Montana? Let's not act like NDSU didn't want to be in the Big Sky.

You are telling me you'd rather go on a flight to California to play in front of 10,000 people than go to USD to play in front of 10,000 people...you must be nuts. Play at SDSU (3 hour drive from Fargo) and give fans a chance to pack the stands...or go to Montana (stadium, scenery)? I don't see what is so special about flying to California if your not going to be playing USC or Stanford.

What he meant was the Valley is a lot more tight knit and the Big Sky is more spread out. Lets not pretend its going to be cheap or convenient for UND fans to travel to many games.

UND fans seem excited about your class, that article did mention Portland State as recruiting well lately. Should be interesting to keep an eye of the sky for the next few years.

You are telling me you'd rather go on a flight to California to play in front of 10,000 people than go to USD to play in front of 10,000 people...you must be nuts. Play at SDSU (3 hour drive from Fargo) and give fans a chance to pack the stands...or go to Montana (stadium, scenery)? I don't see what is so special about flying to California if your not going to be playing USC or Stanford.

What he meant was the Valley is a lot more tight knit and the Big Sky is more spread out. Lets not pretend its going to be cheap or convenient for UND fans to travel to many games.

UND fans seem excited about your class, that article did mention Portland State as recruiting well lately. Should be interesting to keep an eye of the sky for the next few years.

Let's not pretend that if NDSU would have had their way (twice I believe), they would be in the Big Sky and it would be the greatest thing since sliced bread. They got turned down and the chip on their shoulder hasn't gone away. NDSU fans never miss an opportunity to take a shot or down play the conference that said no to them.

As for the topic at hand, despite claims by each fanbase, it will be a few years to see who's class is the greatest of all time. Both schools got some kids they wanted, and missed on some. Time will only tell how the recruits fit into the schemes of each school.

• Upvote 3

Better coaching, better tradition, geogaphically coherent conference, football town, established rivals, established FCS prominence. Did I miss anything?

These can and have been overcome, but it will take UND having the better, or at least an equal, coaching staff.

Yet, The University of North Dakota has the most head to head wins in both recent history and all-time. Go figure.

Yet, The University of North Dakota has the most head to head wins in both recent history and all-time. Go figure.

If you had a choice would you rather have 9 National Championships or 1 and a better head to head record? I'm sure you'd choose the latter. Go figure.

If you had a choice would you rather have 9 National Championships or 1 and a better head to head record? I'm sure you'd choose the latter. Go figure.

No buddy, you guys have 1, we have 0. History is important but this is a new era and we are catching up really quick. Enjoy that one, you guys deserved it, but we are coming!

• Upvote 1

I don't put much stock into anything before 1970....very proud of the teams who won titles in the 60's. But if you go 1970 to 2003, NDSU won more games against UND. But that is manipulating a statistic to show something other than All-Time.

I think you guys are going to be pretty ticked off at some point about the complete lack of O-Line recruited. Then again, the Sky is a different animal than the Valley, and O-line depth and quality might not be as important out west as it is in Fargo.

Anyone been to cal poly for a game? I have been. I've seen more intensity at Bismarck high football games.

For Cal-Poly, Southern Utah, Cal-Davis and UND those "high intensity conference" games of the Great West (i'm sure you remember those great games in the fargodome too) are over and a new era is starting on those campuses this fall and its called the Big Sky Conference era. Enjoy the "high intensity" of the Gateway and the NCC 2.1.

now back to recruiting talk...think coach luke earned his money this year?

I don't put much stock into anything before 1970....very proud of the teams who won titles in the 60's. But if you go 1970 to 2003, NDSU won more games against UND. But that is manipulating a statistic to show something other than All-Time.

I think you guys are going to be pretty ticked off at some point about the complete lack of O-Line recruited. Then again, the Sky is a different animal than the Valley, and O-line depth and quality might not be as important out west as it is in Fargo.

We only have one position open from last year (RT). Other than that the entire 2-deep in back, plus UND gets a starting RG back who was out due to injury last year, plus 4 red-shirt freshman from last year. The reason for the small class is because only two scholarships opened up from last year. One was filled and Mussman said that they would be looking to sign someone by May. So, the recruiting season is not over at this time. But, it appears that the small number of signees was expected. scholarship

We only have one position open from last year (RT). Other than that the entire 2-deep in back, plus UND gets a starting RG back who was out due to injury last year, plus 4 red-shirt freshman from last year. The reason for the small class is because only two scholarships opened up from last year. One was filled and Mussman said that they would be looking to sign someone by May. So, the recruiting season is not over at this time. But, it appears that the small number of signees was expected. scholarship

Yeah, not too worried about the lack of big guys signed. I imagine the coaching staff has an ideal number of guys to have on scholarship at a time at every position. Because we didn't lose much and brought 4 guys in last year, I don't think there was room to bring in 3 or 4 more guys. There were much bigger holes to fill in this class and I think the coaching staff did a pretty good job of filling them.

I think we're fine at OL. Actually we brought in two O-linemen. Mike Edwards is going to start out on the d-line but has a highlight tape of him at guard that is as impressive as anything I've seen. If we absolutely get into a pinch there, he can be moved. It wouldn't be ideal but its not like it is something that hasn't been done before Johnny. With what we have returning on the o-line next year that will be Jr., So., or RFr., I don't think we could have added 4-5 OL. 2 or maybe 3 tops. Bigger needs with only a few scholorships.

The Herd signed only 1 O-Lineman last year :whistling:

I don't put much stock into anything before 1993..... if you go 1993 to 2003 Nickel Trophy games, UND was 9-2 against Moo U

:p

I don't put much stock into anything before 1993..... if you go 1993 to 2003 Nickel Trophy games, UND was 9-2 against Moo U

I don't put too much stock in the 1993-2003 period where scholarships were reduced allowing everyone the ability to compete. :p Now that the schollys are back up, the bison are able to strech their legs a little bit.

Why 1970? I, personally, wouldn't put any stock in the 80. Or even much of the 90's as I was a teen....and I am 29 now.

I started following the Sioux around 97 (when I was 16)....and from watching the Sioux and Bison personally from then on it seemed UND had a pretty good advantage...I was watching UND host home playoff after home playoff game...I heard NDSU had never hosted one....until now....NDSU is starting to have some good years.

I love Sioux hockey and I started watching them in the same time period...talk about spoiled...championship. three years later another championship!....next year runner up....and recently lots of frozen fours, but point being....UND's championships are soon also becoming ancient history...its been over a decade... :sad: Not to mention the recruiting advantages of the worlds greatest hockey arena.

The Vikings have a better all time record against the Bears. The Bears have NFL championships and a Super Bowl victory. Who would you rather be??? :crazy:

The Vikings have a better all time record against the Bears. The Bears have NFL championships and a Super Bowl victory. Who would you rather be??? :crazy:

apples and oranges

I think what most don't put any stock in is your opinion of anything related to FB. Now, you may wish to contact this guy named Fetch about his new girlfriend with the pink wool coat. I might put stock in your opinion about her or ringing a cowbell, but not about FB. We might be ticked off if you steal that chick from Fetch but no one will be " ticked off" about this recruiting class.

If you want to relive history you can either include the rivalry going way back to the first game won by the AC or pick out which years you wish to make you feel good. Recently UND dominated winning 10 of the last 13 games. Before that the AC won 12 in a row. Before that both teams had good runs and UND won 12 in a row before the AC had their rebirth in the 1960's. All history.

Bottom line is the AC won the FCS last year and have a lot of kids returning. UND made good strides this past year and have a lot of good kids coming back and have a good group of redshirt Fr.already on campus and had a great recruiting year. You have no clue what it takes to win in the Big Sky but fundamentals are similar whatever league you play in. If you are good in the MVC, your are good in the Big Sky. IF you can play you can play. (just ask Yogi).

• Upvote 1

If you want to relive history you can either include the rivalry going way back to the first game won by the AC or pick out which years you wish to make you feel good. Recently UND dominated winning 10 of the last 13 games. Before that the AC won 12 in a row. Before that both teams had good runs and UND won 12 in a row before the AC had their rebirth in the 1960's. All history.

Bottom line is the AC won the FCS last year and have a lot of kids returning. UND made good strides this past year and have a lot of good kids coming back and have a good group of redshirt Fr.already on campus and had a great recruiting year. You have no clue what it takes to win in the Big Sky but fundamentals are similar whatever league you play in. If you are good in the MVC, your are good in the Big Sky. IF you can play you can play. (just ask Yogi).

What he said...........