SiouxSports.com Forum

Petitions

darell1976

Wishing won't make it so. You continue to linger here with your inane comments, there is so much more than just these petitions that would need to happen - perhaps you don't get that there are constituionality issues involved. Your continued presence here shows how concerned you and many bison rubes are about the ongoing need to worry about UND and try and find doom and gloom issues to constantly bring up. Sorry but UND and its teams aren't going away and as has been demonstrated before UND is entirely capabable of dominating ndsu in any sport. We're coming...

Can't hate on the dude for speculating. Isn't that was internet message boards are for? Besides, this way, when the doom and glooom doesn't happen, it will allow you to be that much happier that said scenarios didn't pan out the way some feared they might.

oh, never mind, Johnboy, it was a joke. sorry you didn't get it.

Went right over my head. Whoops, you know how jokes are tougher on the internets.

• Upvote 1

Wishing won't make it so. You continue to linger here with your inane comments, there is so much more than just these petitions that would need to happen - perhaps you don't get that there are constituionality issues involved. Your continued presence here shows how concerned you and many bison rubes are about the ongoing need to worry about UND and try and find doom and gloom issues to constantly bring up. Sorry but UND and its teams aren't going away and as has been demonstrated before UND is entirely capabable of dominating ndsu in any sport. We're coming...we're coming.....

Not sure if you are aware but Darell is a UND fan. Just thought I'd point that out.

Not sure if you are aware but Darell is a UND fan. Just thought I'd point that out.

And a die hard fan too, I am just scared that if this law comes back and we end up back on the H&A list we are going to see a domino effect of bad stuff coming to UND athletics like possibly getting booted from the BSC, not having teams schedule us, and ending up in a dead-end conference (Great West, Independent). Hockey could be fine unless maybe the Big 10 adopts the NA policy like Minny, UW, and Iowa has. It is just a bad oman that this law could come back to haunt us.

Oops - that read like something johnboy would write. UND is not going to get kicked out of anything. Too many dominoes have to fall - petitions get enough names, vote held and passes, still has to pass Board of Ed and constitutionality questions - but even then UND could say - we aren't going to actively use the name for our sports teams - so what would happen - do you really think UND would get taken to court for their actions? What government entity would do that?

Oops - that read like something johnboy would write. UND is not going to get kicked out of anything. Too many dominoes have to fall - petitions get enough names, vote held and passes, still has to pass Board of Ed and constitutionality questions - but even then UND could say - we aren't going to actively use the name for our sports teams - so what would happen - do you really think UND would get taken to court for their actions? What government entity would do that?

UND did that when they were nicknamed the Flickertails. Even though that was the name UND was still known at the Nodaks or UND. They never had a Flickertail logo and it also was not on any uniforms. The hockey crowd wouldn't like it though.

Just a general question for UND fans....If these petitions to make it and the state law is back. If UND is somehow booted from the Big Sky and basically has their athletic departement go up in flames....how many of you would become NDSU Bison fans? I hate to say it but for me living in Fargo with no other DI school around (as UND wouldn't have a football, bball, or VB team) it would be tough not to become a Bison fan.

Not in 10,000 lifetimes.

• Upvote 3

This issue comes down to the fact that you are either a UND fan or you are a "fanatic" of the name and logo. Pretty clear those who wish the name and logo at any cost are not UND fans anymore. There is too much evidence that forcing the name on UND will cause too much harm to UND and UND athletics including hockey. Anyone who thinks UND hockey will survive as the premier college hockey program in the country in this new league and be the only league member that won't get games with Minn or Wisconsin (and any other schools who buy into the PC crap) then you are either stupid, drunk or living in a dream world. A couple of my favorite posters are possibly all three. Forget the harm it would do to FB, BB or other sports. It will destroy UND hockey as we know it. Over the years there are more schools who are refusing to play us because of the name issue, not fewer. That in and by itself is enough to send this petition to a place where it can only be found by a gastroenterologist with a colonoscope!

• Upvote 3

Teams I would route for before the bison:

Iraqi Soceer Team

ND State Pen Flag Football team (unfortunately it has several former su players on it)

Anyone else think of any?

I cheer for the Iraqi's if i see them on tv.

My mom works for a jail so I'd have to pull for the guards.

I will put myself on record and say that if NDSU never had athletics, I'd pull for UND. But if NDSU just up and dropped sports, I'd still not cheer for UND so I know what your saying.

Frank isn't exactly eloquent but he is passionate about how he feels. He does mix fact with fiction. I hope he wasn't insinuating that Tom Clifford would support this latest petition. I doubt that he would. He would likely support the Native Americans taking the NCAA to court. Frank has no factual basis to contradict what the Big Sky Commissioner said about UND's Big Sky affiliation being in jeopardy if we continue to remain sanctioned by the NCAA for the name. He forgets to comment on not being able to play the Gophers or Badgers in hockey anymore and now that might harm recruiting. He rambles on quite a bit and at times it is tough to hang in and listen but he is correct about the majority of Native Americans that have voted or been polled showing support for the name. That has always been the case. He doesn't explain where he has been the last 20 years when we could all see this coming including his warning from Tom Clifford, and not having been leading the charge to get support from the two reservations. To blame UND officials who weren't here when this came down is irrelevant. All of what Frank wants to happen can still occur without the stupid petition. Legislation will cause problems for UND and UND athletics just like last time and just like this goofy 3 year cooling off period. Frank needed to have a taped interview with the Big Sky Commissioner to prove what he claims is true. He also needs to have a discussion with Faison and Hakstol about the loss of the Gophers and Badgers on our future schedules. Too many threats to our future to buy into his rhetoric but give him credit for his passion.

Passionate fools are the most dangerous fools of all. I respect that he is a former Sioux athlete, but just because he is a former athlete doesn't mean he is a credible source for information relating to this issue. As has been said many times before.... I love the Sioux name, but I recognize that the state's laws will have NO bearing on the NCAA's policies and decisions. The only way we keep the Sioux name without serious blowback from the NCAA and other Universities is if SL is successful in their lawsuit against the NCAA. These petitions (primarily the constitutional one) will place UND in a very difficult position if they are passed. Therefore, I am not supportive of the petitions.

The only way we keep the Sioux name without serious blowback from the NCAA and other Universities is if SL is successful in their lawsuit against the NCAA.

I'll argue there is one other (highly, highly unlikely*) way, namely, that Standing Rock softens their position and aligns with Spirit Lake. Yes, all the settlement agreement magic dates have passed, but would the NCAA really dare to now ignore the two groups they (per the settlement) said they'd listen to.

*How likely you ask? About as likely as NDSU winning a DI hockey title in the next decade.

I'll argue there is one other (highly, highly unlikely*) way, namely, that Standing Rock softens their position and aligns with Spirit Lake. Yes, all the settlement agreement magic dates have passed, but would the NCAA really dare to now ignore the two groups they (per the settlement) said they'd listen to. *How likely you ask? About as likely as NDSU winning a DI hockey title in the next decade.

Even assuming SL and SR gave their consent now, or in 2007, what's to prevent them from pulling it at some point when the tribal winds change? They're sovereign nations. What would Clueless Al and some others do? Sue them? Trot out a few petitions? Write an angry "expose" on Say Anything? :hypocrite:

• Upvote 3

Even assuming SL and SR gave their consent now, or in 2007, what's to prevent them from pulling it at some point when the tribal winds change?

Nothing. Nada. Nyet. Nil. Nein. Nolo.

Like I've said before, I don't want to be dangling in the wind on the end of anyone's string, be it the NCAA's, SL's, or SR's.

Cut 'em loose.

Firebrand! Torch 'em! :D

Frank isn't exactly eloquent but he is passionate about how he feels. He does mix fact with fiction. I hope he wasn't insinuating that Tom Clifford would support this latest petition. I doubt that he would. He would likely support the Native Americans taking the NCAA to court. Frank has no factual basis to contradict what the Big Sky Commissioner said about UND's Big Sky affiliation being in jeopardy if we continue to remain sanctioned by the NCAA for the name. He forgets to comment on not being able to play the Gophers or Badgers in hockey anymore and now that might harm recruiting. He rambles on quite a bit and at times it is tough to hang in and listen but he is correct about the majority of Native Americans that have voted or been polled showing support for the name. That has always been the case. He doesn't explain where he has been the last 20 years when we could all see this coming including his warning from Tom Clifford, and not having been leading the charge to get support from the two reservations. To blame UND officials who weren't here when this came down is irrelevant. All of what Frank wants to happen can still occur without the stupid petition. Legislation will cause problems for UND and UND athletics just like last time and just like this goofy 3 year cooling off period. Frank needed to have a taped interview with the Big Sky Commissioner to prove what he claims is true. He also needs to have a discussion with Faison and Hakstol about the loss of the Gophers and Badgers on our future schedules. Too many threats to our future to buy into his rhetoric but give him credit for his passion.

Well said Ira

• Upvote 3