SiouxSports.com Forum

Petitions

darell1976

Fighting Sioux nickname referral within 1,000 names of goal

Leaders of the petition drive have had little trouble finding business places around the state to set up tables with petitions, Soderstrom said, except in Grand Forks. He said he blames that on pressure from UND administrators, who under direction from the State Board of Higher Education have retired the nickname and don’t want to see it revived.

“Grand Forks has been shut down to us,” he said. “It’s hard to find any business that will allow us to have petitions out, though they may say they’re for us.

“That’s ground zero for us. Why do they feel that way? Are they scared? We don’t have that problem anywhere else in the state.”

Shouldn't that tell you something? The people who are close to the issue, fought the good fight and have acknowledged that it is over.

• Upvote 1

Mmmmmm... probably the part where the sanctions get thrown out the window after Spirit Lake kicks the living snot out of the NCAA in court.

Fine...but:

http://www.wday.com/...ticle/id/54145/

The lawsuit may not be heard until the year 2013.

Last I looked its 2012. What if the Big Sky boots UND from the BSC when UND goes back on sanctions in 2012. 2013 is still 10 months and 29 days away.

LMAO @ the implication that I'm part of the "hockey only" crowd. I'm a Sioux football fan first, hockey second.

Why jepordize being in the Big Sky if you are a football fan first. If we do get booted...you think UND could survive in the Indy league?

Mmmmmm... probably the part where the sanctions get thrown out the window after Spirit Lake kicks the living snot out of the NCAA in court.

I live in the here and now.

The here and now is the NCAA policy is active and remains in place: no home playoff games.

I'm not going to jeopardized UND on speculation about potential Spirit Lake success in court.

I wish them well; I'll help their efforts; I won't set UND up for failure if they fail.

• Upvote 3

I live in the here and now.

The here and now is the NCAA policy is active and remains in place: no home playoff games.

I'm not going to jeopardized UND on speculation about potential Spirit Lake success in court.

I wish them well; I'll help their efforts; I won't set UND up for failure if they fail.

Exactly!!!!!!

The Big Sky does not have the power to do that. That fact was made perfectly clear by the sayanything blog but you refuse to believe it. I'm sorry that you feel that way.

What about those letters to Kelley from Fullerton? Also who has the power?

"Hey mom, what is the moral to the story?", asked little Timmy.

"What story is that", mom repled.

"You know the story written by ScottM and Sicatoca called The Big Sky is Falling" replied Timmy.

"Oh that one", exclaimed mother, "That is a story about how you, no matter how bad or wrong it is, should do whatever someone esle tells you to if they tell you they are going to hurt you if you don't."

"I've heard that story before", said little Timmy curiously.

"Where at", inquired mother.

"My teacher taught us about a big world war where a bunch a people did that.", answered little Timmy. He though for a moment or two and then added, "I thought bad things happened to them anyway?"...

• Upvote 1

"Hey mom, what is the moral to the story?", asked little Timmy.

"What story is that", mom repled.

"You know the story written by ScottM and Sicatoca called The Big Sky is Falling" replied Timmy.

"Oh that one", exclaimed mother, "That is a story about how you, no matter how bad or wrong it is, should do whatever someone esle tells you to if they tell you they are going to hurt you if you don't."

"I've heard that story before", said little Timmy curiously.

"Where at", inquired mother.

"My teacher taught us about a big world war where a bunch a people did that.", answered little Timmy. He though for a moment or two and then added, "I thought bad things happened to them anyway?"...

So this is fake?

http://www.champions...-big-sky?blog=2

The letter, which Fullerton wrote on behalf of the presidents of Big Sky member schools, warned Kelley that the nickname issue “has the possibility of destroying Division I athletics at the University of North Dakota” and jeopardizing UND’s pending membership in the conference.

Franklin responded on April 19, reiterating the NCAA policy against use of American Indian names and images, the 2007 legal settlement with UND and UND’s failure to “obtain necessary support from the identified Sioux tribes,” as required under the settlement.

Thus, given the new state law and the consequent halt in UND’s transition away from the nickname, “North Dakota will be subject to the provisions of the policy,” Franklin wrote. “Unfortunately, HB 1263 cannot change the NCAA policy nor alter the contracted terms of the Agreement.”

What part of the bolded statements doesn't these people who sign the petition understand??

• Upvote 1

Fighting Sioux nickname referral within 1,000 names of goal

Shouldn't that tell you something? The people who are close to the issue, fought the good fight and have acknowledged that it is over.

Fought the good fight?

WTF are you talking about? What is this fight you speak of? You fought how?

Exactly HOW the F@#k was this a fight? Just what F!#^ing fight are you talking about? Tell me? Cause I wanna know?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWKa_GO_3hc