SiouxSports.com Forum

Petitions

darell1976

Denial is a wonderful emotion. I am still trying to understand how this law, if passed, over rides the ND State Constitution?

We don't know whether it does or doesn't. We don't have a final decision on whether the nickname law was constitutional or not. If they don't get enough signatures, it isn't an issue. If they do, the State Board of Higher Education may decide to get a ruling on the constitutionality. If they get enough signatures on the second petition, then the voters of North Dakota would make the decision. But tSic is right, these efforts to force UND to keep the name without getting the NCAA to change their position on the issue would hurt UND.

I am still trying to understand how this law, if passed, over rides the ND State Constitution?

What the petitions (there are two remember) are going for is:

(a) reinstatement of Al Carlson's folly, then

(b) an amendment to the state constitution regarding the moniker <-- that would cause a conundrum as it would potentially conflict with another section of the state constitution

You missed a step:

They need the signatures.

Then they need the vote to go their way.

I'm not sure either of those are a given.

I just meant that not getting enough signatures would end that effort right away. If they get enough signatures on the first petition then the SBoHE has to decide whether to look at constitutionality. If they pursue that avenue and it is ruled unconstitutional, that would end that effort. If it is ruled constitutional it would go to the vote. And I agree, neither getting enough signatures or passing in an election are sure things.

We don't know whether it does or doesn't. We don't have a final decision on whether the nickname law was constitutional or not. If they don't get enough signatures, it isn't an issue. If they do, the State Board of Higher Education may decide to get a ruling on the constitutionality. If they get enough signatures on the second petition, then the voters of North Dakota would make the decision. But tSic is right, these efforts to force UND to keep the name without getting the NCAA to change their position on the issue would hurt UND.

One would surmise that the SBOHE would have to challenge the issue being that it otherwise would cut their legs out from under them. By reading the NDSC it does not take much to see that Carlson's Folly will not hold up.

One would surmise that the SBOHE would have to challenge the issue being that it otherwise would cut their legs out from under them. By reading the NDSC it does not take much to see that Carlson's Folly will not hold up.

They could've before the law was rescinded but they didn't. That says to me who knows what the ND SBoHE will do.

They did not need to at the time. Did the law ever make it to it's starting date before it was cancelled?

It should have gone into effect either July 1 or Aug 1 of 2011, which means it was in effect before the meeting with the NCAA. I believe the SBoHE decided to let the NCAA explain their position and see if that would change the legislature's mind. Letting the legislature change the law back was going to cause less problems than forcing the issue by challenging the constitutionality.

This is a highly nuanced topic, especially given Spirit Lake's approval and Standing Rocks' unacknowledged 1969 approval and NCAA collaboration with the slim SR majority to prevent a vote. The petition process and any NCAA conduct based thereon fits very nicely into the litigation area, particulaly the anti-trust claims. Somehow, I think the NCAA and its lawyers are smarter than that. As I've said before, I'm sure they're very arrogant but they're not stupid.

This is a highly nuanced topic, especially given Spirit Lake's approval and Standing Rocks' unacknowledged 1969 approval and NCAA collaboration with the slim SR majority to prevent a vote. The petition process and any NCAA conduct based thereon fits very nicely into the litigation area, particulaly the anti-trust claims. Somehow, I think the NCAA and its lawyers are smarter than that. As I've said before, I'm sure they're very arrogant but they're not stupid.

Why have you not volunteered your time in the SL lawsuit?

I think AG Wayne Stemjum should've came out and ruled if this petition is consitutional or not. This guessing game is just going to piss a lot of people off if it goes either way. All that work just so he can say its not constitutional. I hope the SBoHE is brainstorming what is going to happen if enough signatures are met. Its out of UND's hands.

You're pretty fixated on that, aren't you? I thought I had you on "ignore". I'll voluntarily do that now.

You are the one who always talks so much about supporting them I thought maybe you should then at least donate your time. Kinda like put up or shut up. Can't be that busy up on the Hill.

Just a general question for UND fans....If these petitions to make it and the state law is back. If UND is somehow booted from the Big Sky and basically has their athletic departement go up in flames....how many of you would become NDSU Bison fans? I hate to say it but for me living in Fargo with no other DI school around (as UND wouldn't have a football, bball, or VB team) it would be tough not to become a Bison fan.

Just a general question for UND fans....If these petitions to make it and the state law is back. If UND is somehow booted from the Big Sky and basically has their athletic departement go up in flames....how many of you would become NDSU Bison fans? I hate to say it but for me living in Fargo with no other DI school around (as UND wouldn't have a football, bball, or VB team) it would be tough not to become a Bison fan.

You're running an apocalypse scenario. It won't come to that. It could get ugly, but not there.

• Upvote 1

You're running an apocalypse scenario. It won't come to that. It could get ugly, but not there.

The fact that UND gets rid of football etc or the fact we get booted from the BSC. If they get booted you might as well get rid of them. Football cannot survive in Indy land, the basketball and VB teams go back to the Great West. Yikes.

The WAC may still be desperate enough to take a team that is on the H&A list. Do they still have only 7 FB teams? Bowls are not under the NCAA, so the Fighting Sioux could get bowl invites. ;)

The WAC may still be desperate enough to take a team that is on the H&A list. Do they still have only 7 FB teams? Bowls are not under the NCAA, so the Fighting Sioux could get bowl invites. ;)

.....that would imply that they are getting enough wins.