SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

54 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

there is really only one  d1 conference that augie could get into in this region and we know what one that is....what is their backup plan?

midco arena looks pretty nice...

https://www.augie.edu/news/2023/virtual-tour-midco-arena-released-public-first-time

?  Their backup plan was hockey and they were accepted into the CCHA.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Their backup plan was hockey and they were accepted into the CCHA.

Correct.
When Augie finally realized they didn't have the gusto for DI they went with the NSIC/hockey model ala UMD/BSU/SCSU/MSU-M. 

Or when they saw how much USD/SDSU were going to fight to keep DI out of Sioux Falls.  They took the easier path to a limited DI experience.  I do believe the unofficial long term goal is full DI.

Replacements that I would look at to consider targeting:
Minnesota State with FB to Pioneer

Milwaukee
Lindenwood with FB to Pioneer
Green Bay

Northern Colorado
SEMO
Central Arkansas
Central Oklahoma

Pipe dream - Add FB to the Summit and leverage FB to get Illinois State, UNI, and Missouri State to join, potentially with the Montanas and Idaho, and Weber as affiliates or full members.  Why would this have a 1 in a million chance?  Positioning for potential future FBS conference.  If NDSU had any balls they would at least attempt a big move like that, similar to how UND started the NCHC.  NCAA not allowing a MAC - like conference in the North/West is a pretty clear Antitrust violation, IMO.  

8 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Well, wonder if a phone call is being made to Greely, Colorado right now?

Makes sense, but from what I gather, DU views them the same way we view Augastana, don't they?  I don't want to do anything that would make DU look elsewhere.  DU leaving would also make St. Thomas more likely to leave, as they are their only true "peer" institution in the conference.  ORU private but not quite the same.

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Summit mens soccer is now down to five. 

That means Summit doesn't have enough fully sponsored mens sports (six teams minimum). 

Wonder what Fenton is thinking now. 

It's interesting that the report about the NCHC schools shutting down the idea of Summit Hockey came out before local news mentioned that it was legitimately being considered.  Makes me think FB could be on the table.  Could the Summit adding FB be announced when the league announces it's new TV contract?  Is WIU leaving related to either Summit FB or a new TV deal?  In the fall, the MVFC commissioner said that they were working with Leona to renegotiate the crap FB media deal (one year early).  Could that be related?  Was she attempting to make the MVFC more attractive to keep the league together (if she knew there was legit potential for Summit FB)? 

Is it more likely that that's all connected or that none of it is?

7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Summit mens soccer is now down to five. 

That means Summit doesn't have enough fully sponsored mens sports (six teams minimum). 

Wonder what Fenton is thinking now. 

Neither Northern Colorado or Mankato sponsor men’s soccer

3 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Neither Northern Colorado or Mankato sponsor men’s soccer

Great!  Mankato can use their football scholarships on Mens soccer :wink:

Lindenwood does.  Would they be interested in the Summit League, and would that move the needle at all for St. Thomas, DU, or ORU?  I'm sure they wouldn't mind a presence in St. Louis, at minimum.

Wouldn’t lindenwood or SEMO want to stay in the OVC because of its tight footprint of poor schools? 

we need to focus on the schools in the MVFC and maybe N CO before we go fishing for a D2 school. I do think UMD and Mankato are ready for D1 if they wanted it

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Wouldn’t lindenwood or SEMO want to stay in the OVC because of its tight footprint of poor schools? 

we need to focus on the schools in the MVFC and maybe N CO before we go fishing for a D2 school. I do think UMD and Mankato are ready for D1 if they wanted it

fenton is thinking bigger than mankato, bemidji or augie....

• Like 1