SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

Just now, SWSiouxMN said:

The problem I see is that I don't know if this means they get rid of memebers, but if they don't, they would have an odd number and would have to add a 10th member...

and guess who's hockey program is juuussst about to get going here next year....

yep...augie could replace cc or miami (not just as an afiliate)...the ncc2.1 is getting closer!!!!!!!!

so if the summit sponsors hockey what are the rules for a summit school adding it?  asking for ndac?

would the league set a minimum standard for allowing you to add it-arena, funding, ...?  does the pres decide?  or do all the presidents of the schools vote?

56 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

It's like the NCHC brand is so powerful. :silly:

Laughable, it's been a hockey conference for 10 years only due to other teams leaving the old one.  It can disappear in a heartbeat and nobody will care.  

too many letters too!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i know air force likes being with army for hockey but would they ever consider "summit hockey" to replace CC if they got the boot...

i know they are the air force...but the closest member in hockey is a long long way away to the east

One of the big reasons Air Force is in AHA is because than they can compete when it comes to the type of recruits they can get. Serratore was asked why they didn't join the WCHA and that is the reason he gave. 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, UND1983 said:

It's like the NCHC brand is so powerful. :silly:

Laughable, it's been a hockey conference for 10 years only due to other teams leaving the old one.  It can disappear in a heartbeat and nobody will care.  

Yeah it's not like its won more than half of the National Championships and been the clearly strongest conference in that time frame. Makes total sense to blow it up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Some logical 'why' as to the Summit may be wanting to add hockey:

• The OVC is now sponsoring men's soccer, which means SL loses 3 affiliate soccer members. SL men's soccer goes to (minimum) 6 teams. Not good.
  • The SL is at the minimum number of men's team sports required for a D1 conference. If just one of WIU, Oral Roberts, Denver, or StT leaves it wrecks the conference.
  • Adding hockey gets another men's team sport to protect the conference's DI status. 

Another thought: DU, UND, and UNO have to be wondering why are they paying for two commissioners and two league offices (SL and NCHC) when the SL commish (Fenton) knows how to run both. Why not combine the "front office" administration to save costs. 

Bringing the NCHC into the Summit would give a chance to do a strong rebrand to all of it.

What hockey people are failing to understand is that NOTHING will change except the name of the league.  Those four letter didn't win a damn thing.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

What hockey people are failing to understand is that NOTHING will change except the name of the league.  Those four letter didn't win a damn thing.  

I'm assuming as you are.
The changes will be (a) less administrative cost, and (b) new logos and letterhead. 

Should the teams change (say 1 in 4 chance*) I suspect it'd be at most: WMU and Miami out, StT and ASU in. (In that scenario, WMU, Miami, BGSU would probably lobby for "MAC Hockey" and start scooping regional affiliates ... RMU, Lindenwood, et al.) 

*Ask @stoneySIOUXabout my recent odds-making. I put a "1 in 100" (1%) on needing 8 defensemen for the fall. ;)  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm assuming as you are.
The changes will be (a) less administrative cost, and (b) new logos and letterhead. 

Should the teams change (say 1 in 4 chance) I suspect it'd be at most: WMU and Miami out, StT and ASU in. 

And a better media package.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

What will change?

If the tweet is to be believed St. Thomas will suddenly be elevated as a current core Summit League member.   At this point, they do not help the strength of the league, nor do they add any new recruiting ground.  Part of the benefit of Miami and Western is exposure in new areas, both for recruiting and just the University.  Those that always seem to want to add the likes of Mankato, St. Thomas or Bemidji don't seem to realize that.  Being at 8 teams is an ideal number because it gives plenty of flexibility for non-conference scheduling, which is helpful in getting teams in the tourney.

If this is purely a name change, then I'd agree that it's not necessarily a huge deal.

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Some logical 'why' as to the Summit may be wanting to add hockey:

• The OVC is now sponsoring men's soccer, which means SL loses 3 affiliate soccer members. SL men's soccer goes to (minimum) 6 teams. Not good.
  • The SL is at the minimum number of men's team sports required for a D1 conference. If just one of WIU, Oral Roberts, Denver, or StT leaves it wrecks the conference.
  • Adding hockey gets another men's team sport to protect the conference's DI status. 

Another thought: DU, UND, and UNO have to be wondering why are they paying for two commissioners and two league offices (SL and NCHC) when the SL commish (Fenton) knows how to run both. Why not combine the "front office" administration to save costs. 

Bringing the NCHC into the Summit would give a chance to do a strong rebrand to all of it.

i don't think people realize how fragile the summit is and has been with memberships for years and years.....

awesome first move for fenton

THERE'S FENTON

12 hours ago, cberkas said:

One of the big reasons Air Force is in AHA is because than they can compete when it comes to the type of recruits they can get. Serratore was asked why they didn't join the WCHA and that is the reason he gave. 

is cc any more competitive in the nchc than AF would/could have been?

• 2 weeks later...