SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

17 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So how confident should we really be that UST gets their waiver granted?

Seeing as how SDSU AD Justin Sell is on the committee studying D3 to D1 move-ups, I would say the Summit has plenty of inside info and some "guarantees" the result will be positive.  Douple also said the Summit would be willing to wait 10 years for UST though too.  I took that as grandstanding and a vote of confidence for UST that they are worth waiting for. I don't think he would say that about any other school.

18 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

If the Summit stayed mute: 0.0%.

With the Summit's statement, better than coin-flip. 

Your comment makes no sense. To answer the question, 95% it gets approved, 5% it does not. The fact that they have a league invite already and strong finances means the NCAA will more then likely approve. They are also getting kicked out of their current conference, expect it to be approved. 

That’s what I said: 

If UST tried this and the Summit had stayed mute UST had no chance. 

With the Summit behind UST it’s better than coin-flip. I say that and not more because the NCAA has history of arbitrary and capricious decisions. 

St Thomas isn’t a sure thing according to Douple.  Might not hear until April in another article.

https://www.tommiemedia.com/news/exclusive-st-thomas-could-learn-di-fate-in-january-summit-official-says/

Augie would be the next option. A DI League doesn’t take two moveups in on year as then then the moveups can’t play a full schedule.  The Southland did this and had to reschedule games in the conference season as more than three non DI games can’t be played.

There are other possible reasons that the Arizona’s and USC may be upset by the PAC12 headquarters in San Francisco.  The PAC12 leadership sees itself as on par with the NFL and spends like it.  https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/06/12/comparing-pac-12-expenses-to-other-power-fives-is-spending-in-san-francisco-reasonable-or-excessive/.  The PAC12 HQ takes almost 1/8 th the income and is located in a very expensive city to do business.  The SEC, Big 12, Big 10, and ACC HQ cities are much less expensive.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/06/12/comparing-pac-12-expenses-to-other-power-fives-is-spending-in-san-francisco-reasonable-or-excessive/

On 10/4/2019 at 7:44 PM, jdub27 said:

Disagree. If needed, the NCAA would grant a waiver just like they did when Omaha was transitioning. There would be a plan to get back in compliance, that's all they care about. 

Why would the Summit sponsor a sport no existing members have and have no reason to start? I mean they aren't going to sponsor FBS football in the current landscape either but you supposedly where done talking about that when your self-imposed deadline of July 1 passed but we all knew that wasn't happening either. 

Yeah I'm fairly confident that the NCAA would only take away autobids or whatever if conferences aren't able to find a warm body.  The NCAA doesn't want to be a villain punishing low major division one conferences.  

NCAA:  "Hey you guys are losing (insert school here), what's the plan?  You know you need (x) schools to keep an autobid"

League:  "Hey yes we are adding (lower division school), they will be full D1 in a few years, is that okay?"

NCAA:  "Oh, yeah.  Sure.  Sounds good.  Well, I better get going.  I have another scandal at a P5 that I will somehow not punish in any meaningful way."

• Upvote 1

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 5:41 PM, SiouxVolley said:

St Thomas isn’t a sure thing according to Douple.  Might not hear until April in another article.

https://www.tommiemedia.com/news/exclusive-st-thomas-could-learn-di-fate-in-january-summit-official-says/

Augie would be the next option. A DI League doesn’t take two moveups in on year as then then the moveups can’t play a full schedule.  The Southland did this and had to reschedule games in the conference season as more than three non DI games can’t be played.

St Thomas is joining the Summit.  It's a done deal.  Douple can't say anything till it is official and the documents are signed, but it's gonna happen. 

On 11/6/2019 at 1:42 PM, Siouxperfan7 said:

St Thomas is joining the Summit.  It's a done deal.  Douple can't say anything till it is official and the documents are signed, but it's gonna happen. 

While mostly agree, the NCAA does strange things and there is no precedent here as DIII moves to DI used to be OK..

Augustana is behind the scenes waiting if things go astray.  Most of the Southern , Big South and NEC are smaller private schools than Augie with less endowment, so small private schools have made it at DI.

Here’s a DU view of the UST situation.

https://letsgodu.com/2019/11/05/summit-league-university-presidents-converge-on-sioux-falls-amidst-division-i-debate/#more-71279

On 11/1/2019 at 5:51 PM, JohnboyND7 said:

Yeah I'm fairly confident that the NCAA would only take away autobids or whatever if conferences aren't able to find a warm body.  The NCAA doesn't want to be a villain punishing low major division one conferences.  

NCAA:  "Hey you guys are losing (insert school here), what's the plan?  You know you need (x) schools to keep an autobid"

League:  "Hey yes we are adding (lower division school), they will be full D1 in a few years, is that okay?"

NCAA:  "Oh, yeah.  Sure.  Sounds good.  Well, I better get going.  I have another scandal at a P5 that I will somehow not punish in any meaningful way."

The NCAA is majorly run by the P5 according to their enhanced votes.  The NCAA has taken away a conference bid from the East Coast Conference, which mostly merged with the depleted MidCon (later turned Summit League) when the Horizon stole most of its MidCon members (like UWGB, Ill-Chi, Milwaukee, Cleveland St, N Illinois, and Wright St).  The P5 wants more at large bids and the lesser leagues have them. It doesn’t bother the P5 to make rules that league like the Summit can’t afford.  The P5 made a mistake in the 1990’s when it allowed a ton of smaller schools to move up and get their own autobids from DII or lower (Big South and Trans America Conferences moved up because the DI rules allowed them to) so it is trying to correct that mistake. 

Before the year 2000, the NCC could have moved up entirely to DI with only a two year transition period and get an autobid.  Why they didn’t do it is amazing stupidity now.  Guess the ND schools always thought the Montanas would get them invited to the Big Sky.

St Thomas was talking with the Summit at last year’s Final Four whenit hadn’t been even kicked out of the MIAC.  The Summit agreed to take UST then.

http://www.startribune.com/st-thomas-has-partner-in-summit-league-as-it-attempts-to-blaze-trial-to-division-i/564636222/

The article states no school has ever jumped for DIII to DI.  What about UWGB?  FGCU didn’t have a DII alternate in Fl so they chose DI.

Plenty of schools have moved from NAIA to DI now:  Belmont, Lipscomb, ORU, Houston Baptist, most of the Big South, most of the Transamerica.  UVU was in a JV association when it moved.  All of those wouldn’t be possible now.  Before 1972 or so, there wasn’t a DIII rather a college division that included DII and DIII.

UWGB wasn't DIII. They started as NAIA in 1969/70, moved to DII in 1974, and went DI in 1980/81. FGCU did the same path, starting in the NAIA around 1999 with a limited number of sports, moving to DII in 2002 with a full set of sports, then started the DI move in 2007 and finished in 2011.

14 hours ago, Hammersmith said:

UWGB wasn't DIII. They started as NAIA in 1969/70, moved to DII in 1974, and went DI in 1980/81. FGCU did the same path, starting in the NAIA around 1999 with a limited number of sports, moving to DII in 2002 with a full set of sports, then started the DI move in 2007 and finished in 2011.

Where’s the link for those dates?  UWGB and FGCU started up DI sports within a  couple decades of being a school.

5 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Fenton would know better, but BGSU, Robert Morris, Mercyhurst, Oakland, Canisius, and Niagra.  BGSU owns theCCHA name.

Miami and WMU wouldn’t go there unless the CCHA become really good or Arizona St gets in.  Bemidji and Mankato don’t have enough fans for CBS Sports.

Unless he means this:

https://www.swnewsmedia.com/chaska_herald/news/sports/it-s-all-good-in-the-ccha/article_386e8d38-7e2a-5fb8-a1f2-038fe4d05f50.html

19 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Where’s the link for those dates?  UWGB and FGCU started up DI sports within a  couple decades of being a school.

Everything UWGB is buried in here: https://www.uwgb.edu/from-the-beginning/chronology/  (I'd use ctrl-f to find what you need)

Also a quick look at the UWGB MBB wiki page would have shown the times they were in the NAIA, DII, & DI national tournaments. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bay_Phoenix_men's_basketball

Just going to the FGCU athletics wiki page gives you everything you need in the 2nd paragraph. And the FGCU athletics website has every sport schedule listed back to the beginning. You can see when they added sports.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Gulf_Coast_Eagles

24 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Fenton would know better, but BGSU, Robert Morris, Mercyhurst, Oakland, Canisius, and Niagra.  BGSU owns theCCHA name.

Miami and WMU wouldn’t go there unless the CCHA become really good or Arizona St gets in.  Bemidji and Mankato don’t have enough fans for CBS Sports.

Unless he means this:

https://www.swnewsmedia.com/chaska_herald/news/sports/it-s-all-good-in-the-ccha/article_386e8d38-7e2a-5fb8-a1f2-038fe4d05f50.html

i think he even mentioned the "seven"

29 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The seven remaining WCHA Midwest members can not use the WCHA name as they withdrew.  The Alaska schools now own it.

Those seven could rename themselves the CCHA, as they don’t have a conference name yet.

the name of the new / old conference is irrelevant...it was interesting to hear him say that some more conference shuffling might happen...this c-usa approach just can't cut in in hockey...2 teams in alaska, one in alabama, schools in michigan, ohio, northern minnesota and southern minnesota....lots and lots of travel...something has to give eventually.

26 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

the name of the new / old conference is irrelevant...it was interesting to hear him say that some more conference shuffling might happen...this c-usa approach just can't cut in in hockey...2 teams in alaska, one in alabama, schools in michigan, ohio, northern minnesota and southern minnesota....lots and lots of travel...something has to give eventually.

The WCHA broke up, so something did give.

The new CCHA:

BGSU - Ferris St

Lake Superior St - N Michign

Mich Tech - UWEC

Mankato St - UST

Bemidji - Minot

A new Southern league

Liberty -- High Point U

Austin Peay - UAH

Lindenwood - FGCU

The Old WCHA 

UAF - UAA