SiouxSports.com Forum

coaches

siouxfbfan

But if the players hadn't turned it over 4 times in that game, never would have been in that position................

But you deal with the situation at hand and the position you're in.... he should've kicked the - oops - I've said too much.

Let's bring it back on topic... :D;)

Big difference as NDSU had a below average qb that was the cause of most of our losses & those were by 7 poinbts or less. UND was destroyed by the top teams in the BSC. Little offense & no defense against MSU and EWU. Hard to turn that around in one year. I also think you're forgetting that other teams recruit too. Both MSU and EWU will be tough again.

Bad qb play bad defense we both have reasons for why we lost games.

But you deal with the situation at hand and the position you're in.... he should've kicked the - oops - I've said too much.

I also wanted them to go for the FG at that point. However, if Zeb would have missed the 51 yarder, how many of us would have been saying they should have went for it, they only needed one yard? My guess is alot of us, probably me included.

• Upvote 1

USD:

Joe Glenn, football, $127,260

Dave Boots, men’s basketball/Asst AD, $122,780

Ryun Williams women’s basketball $96,000

- Amy Williams in the coach now not sure of salary information

SDSU:

John Stiegelmeier, football, $150,010

Scott Nagy, men’s basketball, $152,000

Aaron Johnston, women’s basketball, $161,358

UND:

Mussman, football $114,612

Jones mens basketball $86,334

Gene Roebuck women’s basketball $110,000

- Travis Brewster in the coach now not sure of salary information.

NDSU

Bohl football $196,668

Saul Phillips basketball $135,000

Carolyn DeHoff women’s basketball $113,400

If this is accurate, UND is not committed to the football or basketball programs and will (IMHO) always struggle in a quality conference like the Big Sky.

If the administration and athletic director really intend to be competitive, these salaries MUST be addressed. I realize that hockey is king, but how can UND defend paying the head football coach less than all these other coaches except two women's basketball coaches (and one of them by barely more than $1000 more for a program that is performing terribly on the court). After all, Joe Glenn was just brought in last year, Mussman has five years of cost of living raises to get to his level.

Not being an apologist for Mussman, but UND will NOT get a head coach with any kind of pedigree with a salary like this. And Jones' salary is a joke - at least he has put his team into the postseason.

• Upvote 4

If this is accurate, UND is not committed to the football or basketball programs and will (IMHO) always struggle in a quality conference like the Big Sky.

If the administration and athletic director really intend to be competitive, these salaries MUST be addressed. I realize that hockey is king, but how can UND defend paying the head football coach less than all these other coaches except two women's basketball coaches (and one of them by barely more than $1000 more for a program that is performing terribly on the court). After all, Joe Glenn was just brought in last year, Mussman has five years of cost of living raises to get to his level.

Not being an apologist for Mussman, but UND will NOT get a head coach with any kind of pedigree with a salary like this. And Jones' salary is a joke - at least he has put his team into the postseason.

Nailed it, if you want to be D1 and play with the big boys, you have to pay the price to get quality coaching staffs to be competitive.

And getting ahead of the "we can't afford it" excuse, winning generates revenue, another 1000 fans in the seats every night for the major sports will easily pay the difference not even counting merchandise, concessions, donations, etc...

• Upvote 1

Mannausau to lead Champions Club

The University of North Dakota Athletics Department and the UND Alumni Association & Foundation announced today that Mike Mannausau has been hired as the North Dakota Champions Club Executive Director and an assistant athletics director.

Mannausau, who begins his new duties on Monday, Feb. 18, recently completed his ninth season on the North Dakota football coaching staff and his seventh as defensive coordinator. Prior to the 2008 season, he was elevated to associate head coach.

So after re-reading the story on Coach Mannasau's move the Champions Club I couldn't help but notice one thing - No quote from Coach Mussman in there. No quote thanking Mike for all his years of service to the UND Football program (15 years or so total). Hopefully, it was an oversight or something like that. Isn't it pretty standard for a Head Coach to thank an assistant for his years of service?

If Mussman proves himself, he should get a pay raise. I don't think his pay should've been increased 50% solely due to UND moving up to D1-AA. If he and UND ever decide to go their separate ways and UND goes outside to pick up a new coach, I'd assume the salary would be far more competitive. Also, if he ever gets the football program into a more competitive standing, he'd have a bargaining chip with which he can ask for more $$.

• Upvote 2

I am in favor of across the board raises in salary for almost all coaches. We expect excellence and should be willing to pay for it. Revenue will increase if we start winning more.

I am also in favor of setting performance goals. All programs right now have plusses and minuses and room to improve. I am worried that we have seen a subtle but steady lowering of expectations. The nickname is settled, we have a great conference, and the transition is done. No more excuses. Time to shoot pool, Fast Eddie.

• Upvote 1

None of the UND FB coaches are in danger of losing their jobs right now. Mannausau. was't pushed out. He is an excellent recruiter. He has a new job that probably pays better and has more job stability and more time at home. This is an excellent recrutitng class. We are making strides. Should be better next year. Bubba's not coming back, Tibesar is not coming. We have some outstanding recruits in the last two classes and are now winning recruiting battles with other FCS schools.You guys who keep speculating on forced coaching changes from within are screwing a dead horse. The risk is that we could lose coaches to bigger programs. What our program needs most is bigger stronger faster kids. I think we are getting them. We need to keep improving every year and I think we are doing that. There will still be challenges but we are headed in the right direction.

UND admin needs to step up and get the new facility built. The present plan is to start this spring with phase one. UND admin needs to address the salary issues, uniforms, schedules and the crowds. There doesn't seem to be the urgency I would expect but I don't get updated nor should I. Facility should be top priority for all UND building projects right now. It benefits students, increases research opportunities and will enhance the campus in addition for what it will do for athletics.

• Upvote 2