SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

In regards to some of you stating that this new conference should add more WCHA teams: Why did we leave then? I find it a bit strange that we didn't at least get the other schools to force out the current administration. There must be something else to make us bolt???

I like the idea of this new smaller conference made up of some big names. Adding more WCHA teams just dilutes that.

Personally I think this was pre-mature. If we don't get Notre Dame this wasn't in our best interest. Why not sit on it until Notre Dame makes up their mind?

I'm really hoping this isn't the death of college hockey programs, though I really believe without the Michigan schools some CCHA were going to fold whether this happened or not. I don't want to see a WCHA/CCHA merger as keeping those conferences small allows room for other "new" teams to join a conference and that is something that college hockey has been sorely lacking. At least a regional spot to play.

In regards to some of you stating that this new conference should add more WCHA teams: Why did we leave then? I find it a bit strange that we didn't at least get the other schools to force out the current administration. There must be something else to make us bolt???

I like the idea of this new smaller conference made up of some big names. Adding more WCHA teams just dilutes that.

Personally I think this was pre-mature. If we don't get Notre Dame this wasn't in our best interest. Why not sit on it until Notre Dame makes up their mind?

I'm really hoping this isn't the death of college hockey programs, though I really believe without the Michigan schools some CCHA were going to fold whether this happened or not. I don't want to see a WCHA/CCHA merger as keeping those conferences small allows room for other "new" teams to join a conference and that is something that college hockey has been sorely lacking. At least a regional spot to play.

Agreed....My guesses are:

~Money

~Don Adam's officiating

~Marco Hunt's officiating

~The Shepherd family

~Protests at the National Hockey Center

~Not having to fly to Alaska

~Not having to bus all the way to Tech

Just guesses.....

I don't think Notre Dame is a make or break for me, as discussed about the possibility of a great Non-conference schedule. I do wonder why Faison and everybody else, with the debacle of South Dakota being a foregone conclusion for the Big Sky only to have the Summit come in at the last minute and nix that deal, wouldn't wait to announce the new league until Notre Dame makes up their mind. That way you wouldn't have all of the behind the scenes bargaining by Hockey East to come in at the last minute and try to one-better the new league.

So do you and Riverman (thanks for the negative mark you !@#$%!) deny that St. Cloud has gone well out of it's way to force UND to retire the Sioux nickname and at the same time drag our institution's name through the mud? Seriously uncool! I don't hate your fans but I have no love for your administration.

I don't know the connection between SCSU and UND's war with the NCAA over the Sioux nickname. I know a past president issued a position on the issue. No offense, but I think you're looking for a scapegoat. What's a "negative mark"?

I don't know the connection between SCSU and UND's war with the NCAA over the Sioux nickname. I know a past president issued a position on the issue. No offense, but I think you're looking for a scapegoat. What's a "negative mark"?

Saigo was part of the group that brought the policy and sanctions concept to the NCAA.

So the Western logjam is broken. In a span of a few months, we've gone from "no room for anyone, even a solid existing program like UAH" to "we're desperate to save our auto-bid!"

In the near term, the Minne-WCHA is looking for member #6. UAH anyone?

And depending on what happens in the CCHA, they may be looking for #6: Robert Morris? Niagara? Mercyhurst?

But what is exciting about this is the potential this creates for adding big names and population centers. Unlike the NHL which went all the way to the deep south, and is now retrenching, I would think college hockey could have a footprint where hockey at other levels has had a long presence:

* in the Twin Cities: St Thomas, or Concordia-St Paul ....

* Iowa State: long rumored ...

* Chicago: Northwestern, maybe?

* St Louis: Lindenwood will probably be going D1 in "everything" as soon as possible.

* Syracuse: excellent addition to the CHSL.

* even UBC, if that comes to pass.

* or pick a major metro area, with a school that isn't overly wedded to football, and you've got a candidate.

By itself CHSL doesn't make all that much sense. But I have a strong hunch the key plays in this chess match are yet to come.

• Downvote 1

I'll be interested to see if the new conference will be able to keep UMD long term. While they are rulers of the world right now, if they don't have success in the new conference there will be a lot of pressure on them to get back in a league with the rest of the Minnesota schools.

I'll be interested to see if the new conference will be able to keep UMD long term. While they are rulers of the world right now, if they don't have success in the new conference there will be a lot of pressure on them to get back in a league with the rest of the Minnesota schools.

I see this as a progression that started in the 90

My conjecture:

Faison was disgusted with how the WCHA was run. The so-called premier league in the country run without any type of vision. He has basically said as much. The league administration needed to be purged, plain and simple. The problem is too many programs in the league are run without any type of vision. And these programs balked at wholesale change in leadership. In addition, UM and UW aren't going to help because they no longer care that the WCHA is rudderless.

So UND, Denver and UNO (who is a much bigger player in this than anyone suspects) tried an end-run. "Well, we'll just leave the league then." With Denver on board, CC was an easy get. Duluth takes its program seriously as well and wanted to be included with UND and Denver. When 5 in hand, it was easy to convince Miami to hop on board. A 6 team super league vs. a 7 team diluted CCHA (Notre Dame is gone) is a no brainer.

While Notre Dame would be a welcome addition, I don't think its vital. With them, they add another team and become a league that can compete with the Big Ten in hockey prestige. Without them, they stick with 6 or perhaps add two more teams from the WCHA to essentially become WCHA 2.0. BUT, without Bruce McLeod.

Anyway, that's what I came up with while mowing this afternoon. :lol:

Won't you Sioux fans miss going to St. Cloud and the other schools? You guys travel well, but will a lot of folks be going to CC, Denver, Omaha, and Miami? How about missing the Final 5 at the X? Just curious.

I will miss the St. Cloud trip for sure and I am sure Howie's will feel the economic impact of not having me there for a couple days every year. :0

I hope their program goes under. :D

Your welcome on the negative mark. I have met very good fans of the SCSU program who SUPPORT

UND and our Fighting Sioux nickname.

Nice, attack fellow Sioux fans for not having the same view you do.:silly:

Your welcome on the negative mark. I have met very good fans of the SCSU program who SUPPORT

UND and our Fighting Sioux nickname.

Nice, attack fellow Sioux fans for not having the same view you do.:silly:

You're the definition of the pot calling the kettle black. If you didn't agree with what I said you could have engaged me in conversation instead of sullying my rep.

• Downvote 3

Thanks to you and BlackHeart (assuming you're not the same person) I no longer have a good rating. Much appreciated, I thought this was Sioux Sports not Bisonville. I'm so sorry that I don't like St. Cloud State for what they helped do to UND and for some reason I'm not allowed to express that on a message board for UND fans without being attacked. Real nice guys.

• Upvote 4

Thanks to you and BlackHeart (assuming you're not the same person) I no longer have a good rating. Much appreciated, I thought this was Sioux Sports not Bisonville. I'm so sorry that I don't like St. Cloud State for what they helped do to UND and for some reason I'm not allowed to express that on a message board for UND fans without being attacked. Real nice guys.

Now I know what you're talking about with the "points". Yes, I accept your apology :wink:

I've discussed this issue with many SCSU fans, and not one of them feel that UND should be forced to change their nickname. In fact, I've never heard anybody (SCSU fan or not) say they were in agreement with the NCAA on this issue.

Now I know what you're talking about with the "points". Yes, I accept your apology :wink:

I've discussed this issue with many SCSU fans, and not one of them feel that UND should be forced to change their nickname. In fact, I've never heard anybody (SCSU fan or not) say they were in agreement with the NCAA on this issue.

I've heard it from SCSU fans. :sad:

So you have never noticed the protests at your barn when UND comes to town? You never noticed that SCSU never refers to UND as the Sioux during their broadcasts? You guys have a long history of trying to damage UND over the Fighting Sioux nickname, and although I am sure there are SCSU fans who have no problem with the Sioux name I haven't seen pressure by the fans to encourage the SCSU administration to stay out of it.

Yahoo Sports: Why the new Superconference is horrible for college hockey

111872726.jpg

But it's not like those teams were doing badly to begin with, on the ice, at the box office or in the souvenir shop. Try to throw a rock without hitting at least three people in Grand Forks without a Sioux jersey or season ticket. They're probably Gopher fans.

In effect, these titans of college hockey, the names most associated with the sport, owe it something. Just as the NHL sees itself as a sort of international steward of the sport of hockey, those bigger schools have some sort of duty to ensure the overall health of the sport at the Division 1 level.
So somehow it's North Dakota's fault if it wants to improve it's lot in life, but Minnesota gets free rein to do what it wants? Minnesota had a choice regarding Big Ten Hockey: other BCS conferences like the Big East and the Big 12 would instantly have taken in the Gophers if Minnesota had taken a real stand. If Minnesota had real principles and gone to the Big East - which is begging for quality AAU schools - it might have had a shot at a decent football conference record, its basketball teams might have returned to their glory years, and the WCHA could have stayed intact. But the Big Ten's money and prestige made that concept simply unthinkable - relegating all gopher sports to the bottom of the barrel.
  • Downvote 1

The SCSU administration has a long history of not listening or even communicating with its fans - the elimination of homecoming is one example. The new administration has totally dropped the Sioux nickname issue it was obviously an issue that the former president Saigo brought to the school and when he left it left - oh but one thing he did leave behind was massive debt and disorganization. It appears his time could have been better spend running SCSU rather than bashing the Sioux nickname - you can't make it up that while he was running around the country speaking on panels that were protesting native american nicknames they were finding swatstikas on his campus.

SCSU fans are not the one's with a voice in the NCAA - your administration helped poison the well between UND and the NCAA. While that's not directly the fault of SCSU fans, SCSU fans did not speak up in defense of us in any meaningful way. Guess what goes around, comes around.

Potter's statements that SCSU wouldn't join a superleague are basically an admission that SCSU does not have the money or political will within the Minnesota State system. If St Cloud St had the money to move up, Bemidji St and Mankato St would have cried foul and either wanted in also, or blocked SCSU's move. UMD being under a different system didn't face those political obstacles.

• Upvote 2

Yahoo Sports: Why the new Superconference is horrible for college hockey

111872726.jpg

So somehow it's North Dakota's fault if it wants to improve it's lot in life, but Minnesota gets free rein to do what it wants? Minnesota had a choice regarding Big Ten Hockey: other BCS conferences like the Big East and the Big 12 would instantly have taken in the Gophers if Minnesota had taken a real stand. If Minnesota had real principles and gone to the Big East - which is begging for quality AAU schools - it might have had a shot at a decent football conference record, its basketball teams might have returned to their glory years, and the WCHA could have stayed intact. But the Big Ten's money and prestige made that concept simply unthinkable - relegating all gopher sports to the bottom of the barrel.

I'm sick of these editorials about how UND has forever ruined college hockey but it's okay for the Big 10 to start up a super conference that is supposedly in the best interest of the sport. UND has invested over $100 million into their hockey program and have a responsibility to protect that investment. I honestly haven't seen any bad publicity on Denver, CC, Duluth, or Miami for leaving the WCHA, seems that UND is everybody's favorite target. Seems like everybody who's not in this new super conference is crossing their fingers that Notre Dame joins Hockey East.