SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

The formation of the new 'super leauge' has officially been announced.

Collegiate Hockey Conference Joint Statement

A Joint Statement from:

Brian Faison, Director of Athletics, University of North Dakota

Ken Ralph, Director of Athletics, Colorado College

Peg Bradley-Doppes, Director of Athletics, University of Denver

Brad Bates, Director of Athletics, Miami University

Bob Nielson, Director of Athletics, University of Minnesota Duluth

Trev Alberts, Director of Athletics, University of Nebraska Omaha

We are pleased to announce that six top NCAA Division I ice hockey programs will become founding members of a newly formed hockey conference, which will begin competition for the 2013-14 season. The six institutions are Colorado College, University of Denver, Miami University, University of Minnesota Duluth, University of Nebraska Omaha and University of North Dakota.

We understand and appreciate the widespread interest in developments relating to the formation of the new hockey conference. More information will be provided about the initiatives that have been undertaken, as well as the next steps involved, at a news conference in Colorado Springs this Wednesday, July 13. Our programs look forward to continued associations with our current leagues, the WCHA and CCHA, for the next two seasons.

Additional information about Wednesday's news conference will be forthcoming in the next few days. There will be no further comment from athletic directors, coaches or other officials from any of the institutions until Wednesday's news conference.

http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=205180212

Yahoo Sports: Why the new Superconference is horrible for college hockey

So somehow it's North Dakota's fault if it wants to improve it's lot in life, but Minnesota gets free rein to do what it wants? Minnesota had a choice regarding Big Ten Hockey: other BCS conferences like the Big East and the Big 12 would instantly have taken in the Gophers if Minnesota had taken a real stand. If Minnesota had real principles and gone to the Big East - which is begging for quality AAU schools - it might have had a shot at a decent football conference record, its basketball teams might have returned to their glory years, and the WCHA could have stayed intact. But the Big Ten's money and prestige made that concept simply unthinkable - relegating all gopher sports to the bottom of the barrel.

Further, it's selfish, greedy and shortsighted on the parts of all 11 teams leaving for the new super-conferences. However, the teams forming the as-yet-unnamed conference are far worse.

The more I think about it, the advent of more leagues may force a number of smaller players to either get serious about supporting their programs or drop them, and perhaps encourage D3 or club teams to get the financial support to field D1 teams. I don't see the college hockey game today as one that should nurse maid schools who aren't willing to support their existing programs. With money being the major consideration in D1 sports, this is not a welfare state and the schools are acting in their self-interests, even at the expense of programs that can't generate the support they need to survive and thrive in this environment.

So you have never noticed the protests at your barn when UND comes to town? You never noticed that SCSU never refers to UND as the Sioux during their broadcasts? You guys have a long history of trying to damage UND over the Fighting Sioux nickname, and although I am sure there are SCSU fans who have no problem with the Sioux name I haven't seen pressure by the fans to encourage the SCSU administration to stay out of it.

I've seen the 20 or so protestors. Big numbers!

How about they name the new Confrence "Leaders and Legends" Just to stick it to the Big-10...

Also could you see a Royal Rumble holiday tourney each year held in Chicago or St. Louis the included the top 2 teams from the Super Six and Big-10... What a great tournament that would make. (Top 2 teams would be from the standing from the previous year)

Esox

Honestly I don't care what other people think especially some sports writers. UND needs to do what is in the best Interest of UND. I believe this new super conference is a good move. It will be nice if ND comes along but it certainly would not hurt us if they didn't. I just would love to be a fly on the wall when Mcloud and Shep got the news of the new league. At the very least they should lose their jobs.

Now I know what you're talking about with the "points". Yes, I accept your apology :wink:

I've discussed this issue with many SCSU fans, and not one of them feel that UND should be forced to change their nickname. In fact, I've never heard anybody (SCSU fan or not) say they were in agreement with the NCAA on this issue.

Really? I've heard it from SCSU fans at the Final Five for years.......One guy told me he helped organize one of the protests.....He had an SCSU jersey on so I assume he was an SCSU fan.

Really? I've heard it from SCSU fans at the Final Five for years.......One guy told me he helped organize one of the protests.....He had an SCSU jersey on so I assume he was an SCSU fan.

I do not want the SCSU program to fail, for Pete's sake. Separate the program from the idiot administrators and students (most doing it simply for extra credit -- I know, it's unbelievable academic dishonesty for the professors to even give "extra" credit for that) who protested. You're right, though, the fans and alumni probably should have told Saigo, et al to do their jobs rather than engage in puerile racist whining. But, then again, all fans and alumni of all schools should be telling idiot administrators and educators to - gasp - teach. SCSU has a very good program, in my opinion, and I'd sure hate to see them and other "left behind" schools suffer, even though I'm a Sioux fan. The Big 10 schools are the culprits here, pure and simple. As a fan base, we can not let them get by with the whole "well, we're in the Big 10 in other sports and we had to do it and it only made sense because of those other sports" business. All of what they did was completely volitional and done by design. I still don't think the Big 10 will be a success story for hockey. 2 of its programs are going to suck -- OSU and Penn State -- and three others are weak -- WI, MN and MSU. Only Michigan has been strong the last 2 or 3 years.

I find it odd that more people aren't giving the "other" ND more flak for this. After all, they were the first ones who began flirting with another conference (HEA) after the B1G teams announced they were leaving. They essentially dealt the death-blow to the remaining CCHA by likely forcing Miami's hand.

I've seen the 20 or so protestors. Big numbers!

The number of people offended by the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo are very few when compared to the many who are not. Those many include persons who are actually Sioux natives. We're losing our name and logo because a few believe they are hostile and abusive. It's apparent that big numbers aren't needed to change what a few think is politically incorrect. So don't get all sanctimonious because you've only see 20 or so protestors. So, how many SCSU fans do you know who have gone public supporting the name and logo??

• Upvote 1

I find it odd that more people aren't giving the "other" ND more flak for this. After all, they were the first ones who began flirting with another conference (HEA) after the B1G teams announced they were leaving. They essentially dealt the death-blow to the remaining CCHA by likely forcing Miami's hand.

Agreed, why is UND the big villan here?

Minnesota had a choice regarding Big Ten Hockey: other BCS conferences like the Big East and the Big 12 would instantly have taken in the Gophers if Minnesota had taken a real stand. If Minnesota had real principles and gone to the Big East - which is begging for quality AAU schools - it might have had a shot at a decent football conference record, its basketball teams might have returned to their glory years, and the WCHA could have stayed intact. But the Big Ten's money and prestige made that concept simply unthinkable - relegating all gopher sports to the bottom of the barrel.

Are you serious?!?

Are you really suggesting Minnesota should've (or even could've) quit the Big 10 in order to keep their hockey team in the WCHA?

[John McEnroe]You cannot be serious![/John McEnroe]

BlackHeart, Petey23, and SiouxScore, why are you attacking me?

C'mon. I don't agree with sullying reps necessarily but we all get it. They disagreed with what you said and stung you a couple of times. I don't agree with that - in fact, I gave you a + on another post - but it's not that big of a deal and it's nothing to be insulted about.

Are you serious?!?

Are you really suggesting Minnesota should've (or even could've) quit the Big 10 in order to keep their hockey team in the WCHA?

I don't. But do you really think the Big Ten would have kicked Minnesota and Wisconsin out of the Big Ten if they took a stand against this?

I think when all is said and done, the naysayers will all need to eat crow if indeed the league gets a deal with National exposure on Versus. The quote of the Yahoo guy (literally), "By creating this New Conference the six teams are ensuring their own insulation from the fallout", shows just how illogical some people are being. Isn't it their jobs to insulate their programs from taking a fall? I don't see Ryan Lambert still working at IHOP or whatever job he held before. Did he not think of the gap it left for the rest of the employees after he left. I can't believe that Ryan Lambert acted in his own best interest! As for all of this happening behind the scenes without the knowledge of some league members, which seemed to draw the ire of Bruce McCleod, all I have to say is now he knows how some of the league members felt when him and his cronies got behind closed doors to come up with some punishment or lack thereof in many league disciplinary actions. Teams calling Bruce McCleod behind the scenes and telling him to take action were more than a little irritating, because it indicates lack of leadership on his part. So with that kind of leadership, how can Ryan Lambert suggest teams not insulate themselves from the Big Ten conference. Maybe the byline was incorrect, and Miranda Lambert actually wrote the article. My guess is that both have the same insight into the college hockey scene.

For their club team?

Ah, I missed that detail. I notice someone posted that on another message board, should have done a better job on my home work. That said, I think if we added Western Michigan it would make a lot more sense for Notre Dame to join up.

WMU unshaken as WCHA crumbles: Athletic director says Broncos will 'have options, no doubt about it'

Beauregard could not comment on WMU's involvement in the new league, but said school officials have "had conversations with members that are in the release and we also have been looking at other options."

There was no mention in the statement of Notre Dame, which had been rumored to be offered a spot in the new league.

As of Saturday, Notre Dame had not made any official announcement about the future of its hockey program.

Beauregard said on Friday that WMU would work as closely as possible with Notre Dame to remain a part of whatever league the Irish decide to be a part of in 2013.

I guess we can look at it another way. If what all the opponents of this say is true, North Dakota truly IS the most powerful force in college hockey! I think that some fans are mad because they are from the small schools, and the others thought that they would now have a recruiting advantage and would be able to exploit that with the Sioux staying status quo. True, staying in the WCHA wouldn't have been a death knell, but once again UND has the experience behind them in losing their biggest rival from their conference and being told that the other opponents are still strong enough to sustain the conference's power. How is the NCC working for Mankato State and St. Cloud State now? Because the Sioux waited to make a move after NDSU left, they have been in the catching up process over the last 5 or so years. Believe me, you don't want to have any catching up process in a sport that is the bread and butter of the Athletic Department. But the people that won't pay the bills at UND if that should happen are the ones that think UND should fall on the sword for the rest of college hockey. Minnesota and Wisconsin both had a chance to do that, and neither one stepped up.

• Upvote 1

Are you serious?!?

mikejm:

Are you so seriously lacking in reading skills, or bipolar, or both\? Read the post again.

You're on ignore.

mikejm:

Are you so seriously lacking in reading skills, or bipolar, or both\? Read the post again.

You're on ignore.

Welcome to the club Mike. Star must have half the board on ignore by now, including me. Anyone who doesn't spout his ideology gets that status and he seems to have raised delusional to an extreme level. Actually, I would never put Star on ignore, I need the laughs way too much in this seemingly depressed world of ours.

• Downvote 1