SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

I think it is incredibly important that the new conference stays at 8 teams or below. That will allow us to schedule more out of conference games with teams we care about (MN, UW, BC, Boston, etc.) Maybe that can help clean up some of the inflated ratings and opinions of east vs. west teams that have happened over the past few years. Plus, fewer teams means a higher chance at an auto-bid, less sharing of revenues and a higher chance of making the conference tournament.

ALSO: What is the official stance of the new conference on the Sioux nickname? :silly:

SIDEBAR: Will Derek Shepherd be joining the officiating staff? Or will the "we want Shepherd" chant be lost in history?

Oh Bruce... Looks like the new league was built with those who don't have a problem with the nickname. (see SCSU protests)

Why is that any different than laying blame for the supposed demise of smaller hockey programs on the new conference and UND? The Big Ten isn't so arrogant to think that all other programs/conferences would remain stagnant while they grow in order to fill their coffers, is it?

Minnesota didn't have a choice in the Big 10 essentially. Lucia and Maturi spoke out against it, however voted for it. Why risk membership in a premier conference in all the other HUGE sports (football, basketball) to say no to Big10 hockey? They can't go independent in those sports just to remain in the WCHA. They were put up against the wall created by Barry Alvarez. It would be like UND all the sudden saying no to the Big Sky in football, basketball, etc which would be a huge mistake as well. Most logical UMN fans are against the move to the Big10 as well, so let's not paint with a broad brush.

With that being said, I am all for UND doing whatever they need to do. I feel bad for you UND fans who travel so darn well and fill up the barns at places like SCSU, Bemidji, Mankato, etc. Such easy roadtrips to make. Everyone can point the fingers at this school and that or whatever, but in the end NO ONE is in a "better" spot right now and there's nothing us fans can do to change anything about it.

• Downvote 1

The big losers here will be the communities who will no longer have the travelingest fans in college hockey spending big bucks there. MN and WI/UND series were big money makers for all our programs but don't forget, they broke up with us. Difference here, we're not wallowing in 'oh poor me, now what am I going to do' shock, we have a new 'relationship'. ;)

Right on! With the whole Minnesota shut down fiasco... Minnesota needs every dollar they can get.

Hmm since Duluth is in the new league I see no reason that the post season tournament can't be held at a true neutral site. Say the Excel or Target Center? Minnesota(Gophers) won't be using both will they?Pssst check out how many Sioux fans were at the X this year...Looks like the UNO bunch have no problems traveling either when they played at the Gophers rink this year.

If UNO gets the on-campus arena, the Qwest Center becomes a very viable neutral site, too.

Won't you Sioux fans miss going to St. Cloud and the other schools? You guys travel well, but will a lot of folks be going to CC, Denver, Omaha, and Miami? How about missing the Final 5 at the X? Just curious.

If those games were completely eliminated, yes, I would miss traveling to St Cloud, Mankato, and Bemidji. However, I believe those schools will remain on the schedule, just won't see em as often. I can live with that.

Right on! With the whole Minnesota shut down fiasco... Minnesota needs every dollar they can get.

Whenever I travel to games in St Paul or Minneapolis, wearing Sioux gear, or getting carded for a beer with my ND license and I get a snide: "North Dakooota!" comment. I always make sure to let them know they are lucky to have us North Dakotans stimulating their economy! They usually half-heartedly agree. :)

Won't you Sioux fans miss going to St. Cloud and the other schools? You guys travel well, but will a lot of folks be going to CC, Denver, Omaha, and Miami? How about missing the Final 5 at the X? Just curious.

We travel to AK, to the NE, to CO, etc. already what's another road trip to us? Listen to any broadcast where the Sioux are playing out of town and you'll hear the amazement in the voice of the announcer when he describes the sea of green and white in the stands. We fans will be ok! Oh, and it's Ohio Miami, not Miami.

I will definitely miss the Final Five, can't deny that at all. But, I look forward to a new Final ?? series.

Hmm since Duluth is in the new league I see no reason that the post season tournament can't be held at a true neutral site. Say the Excel or Target Center? Minnesota(Gophers) won't be using both will they?Pssst check out how many Sioux fans were at the X this year...Looks like the UNO bunch have no problems traveling either when they played at the Gophers rink this year.

Different ball game. As much as Sioux fans filled Xcel for the Final Five, the golden egg of the Final Five always was Minnesota fans that would buy tickets. Toss in the fact that you're losing Wisconsin, St. Cloud & Mankato fans now not purchasing packages (Mankato not nearly as big, but they're still an hour away and had good turnout in 2003) and suddenly, A LOT more tickets must be sold. I'm guessing any new tournament format would most likely involve 4 teams. You now have only 4 games max (if you have a 3rd place game). Less games & less ticket buyers. And this isn't even throwing in the television factor. Sorry, but my guess is that A) FSN isn't going to broadcast it, or B) You'll have much less in television money, especially with Minnesota not invovled. The "Minnesota Rule" wasn't about attendance as much as it was television driven by FSN.

The conference tourney was going to be difficult when MN & WI left. Difficult, but doable, IMO. Now, a Final Four where the closest team involved is 2-1/2 to 3 hours away from Xcel, and never a guarantee that you're going to be there because it would be much more difficult to get to St. Paul than before in the WCHA? I'll give Sioux fans all props in the world the moment they show up in full spirit for a conference tournament involving CC, DU, Miami & Omaha in the name of just wanting to watch good college hockey.

Other sites than Xcel? Pepsi Center? You'd have the same problem the moment the four teams involved are North Dakota, UMD, Miami & Nebraska-Omaha, only magnified because there actually are North Dakota fans that would go to a conference tournament in Minnesota not involving the Sioux. Can't be said for Denver.

The conference tournament is going to be difficult for the Big Ten; they're proposing top seed hosting for the time being. Huge problem in that revenue would be much different if MN or WI was host compared to MI or MSU. The biggest difference is the brand name of the Big Ten, something the "Super Six" won't have.

I'll give Sioux fans all props in the world the moment they show up in full spirit for a conference tournament involving CC, DU, Miami & Omaha in the name of just wanting to watch good college hockey.

We already do. I've been to every Frozen Four since Columbus and there is no lack of Fighting Sioux fans at those games. We also stay and watch the rest of the tourney when we haven't advanced at the F5. Keep your props, we know we're good. :)

New name for Super Conference:

Super 8,

The Super

S 8

Siouxper 8 - No need to pay royalties to Super 8

Developing.........

Chewey, I agree with most of your posts, but when I think of a new Super Conference, the name Super 8 doesn't seem to fit. If 8 Premier Hotels (W Hotels, Westin's, Marriott's, Hilton's, etc) were going to form a new alliance and they were picking a name, I think Super 8 would be quite a ways down the list of options. ;):lol:

We already do. I've been to every Frozen Four since Columbus and there is no lack of Fighting Sioux fans at those games. We also stay and watch the rest of the tourney when we haven't advanced at the F5. Keep your props, we know we're good. :)

It's not just about not having a lack of Sioux fans; you're now responsible for filling 75% of the barn and television ratings regardless of who's there.

The Final Five, for the most part, was pretty fool proof; there was a 99.999999% chance that either Minnesota, Wisconsin or North Dakota, or a combo, was going to be present. Now, the only relevant fan base for producing revenue (sorry, but UNO isn't there) has what, a 60-70% chance of being there?

It's not just about not having a lack of Sioux fans; you're now responsible for filling 75% of the barn and television ratings regardless of who's there.

The Final Five, for the most part, was pretty fool proof; there was a 99.999999% chance that either Minnesota, Wisconsin or North Dakota, or a combo, was going to be present. Now, the only relevant fan base for producing revenue (sorry, but UNO isn't there) has what, a 60-70% chance of being there?

Our barn is always full, even when we're at our lowest point. Not something that could be said about UoM's this past season (or more). I think you're not giving the other fan bases a lot of credit. We'll just have to wait and see.

What is your prediction for Big Ten attendance? Granted, they'll likely have more televised games than the new conference but do you really think the arena's will have as many fans in attendance as the new conference will? I don't. And, how long before the games will no longer be telecast due to lack of interest?

Our barn is always full, even when we're at our lowest point. Not something that could be said about UoM's this past season (or more). I think you're not giving the other fan bases a lot of credit. We'll just have to wait and see.

What is your prediction for Big Ten attendance? Granted, they'll likely have more televised games than the new conference but do you really think the arena's will have as many fans in attendance as the new conference will? I don't. And, how long before the games will no longer be telecast due to lack of interest?

I'm talking about filling the barn for the postseason tournament, not for home games. I said from the onset that the only economically viable solution I saw for a postseason tournament for the new conference was for it to be held in Grand Forks. I was simply responding to those saying that a neutral site could work. I don't see it.

Big Ten attendance...in terms of conference games or the tournament? I don't see much change for home games. If attendance changes, it will be due to the new ticket point/seat donation policy being brought in the next few years more than due to the Big Ten conference. Michigan & Michigan State aren't exactly no name programs...and Ohio State & Penn State interest will increase. Large alumni bases in the Twin Cities. As for the tournament, I think it could get a bit dicey.

Cute comment about how long before games aren't telecasted due to lack of interest. The BTN broadcasts women's field hockey, track & field & gymnastics. Hockey isn't going off the air on the BTN.

Well they have a solution for that they will just have to play Monday night.. Hmmm what other sporting event plays MONDAY night in the fall and lasts well into the winter....

I wonder if when Faison was referring to "new media opportunities" that he was also referring to the possibility of UND games being broadcast in HD? Hockey is definitely a sport that benefits from 1080p. We almost need a free ESPN 3 like service that broadcasts all the games. IMHO

With the Blashill departure, I wonder in Western is out of the new conference. If that is the case, I'd support Michigan Tech as an 8th team with Notre Dame. Would further the academic reputation of the conference, bring along the MacNaughton Cup, and keep the remaining "Core 4" original WCHA schools together. Tech has a larger barn than Miami, and with the hiring of Pearson has shown a reaffirmed commitment to their program.

That would allow the following new conferences to form.

Midnight SUN Conference

UAA

UAF

MSU-Mankato

St. Cloud

Bemidji

MSU-Moorhead

Thought about Minot State, but believe the flood has put that potential program on the back burner for now.

Compact travel for the Northern Sun schools and you can make a single trip to Alaska, playing back to back weekends. (Do it around Thanksgiving and in early January to minimize lost class time.)

Great Lakes Hockey Conference

CCHA Division

Northern Michigan

Lake Superior State

Ferris State

Bowling Green

Western Michigan

New Division

Alabama Huntsville

Niagara

Robert Morris

Mercyhurst

Lindenwood

Play own division 4 times, opposite division twice. Minimizes travel for CCHA schools to Alabama and preserves remaining rivalries. Gives emerging programs a full scholarship conference.

Lindenwood could potentially go Midnight SUN if another eastern school emerged for Great Lakes conference.

With the Blashill departure, I wonder in Western is out of the new conference. If that is the case, I'd support Michigan Tech as an 8th team with Notre Dame. Would further the academic reputation of the conference, bring along the MacNaughton Cup, and keep the remaining "Core 4" original WCHA schools together. Tech has a larger barn than Miami, and with the hiring of Pearson has shown a reaffirmed commitment to their program.

That would allow the following new conferences to form.

Midnight SUN Conference

UAA

UAF

MSU-Mankato

St. Cloud

Bemidji

MSU-Moorhead

Thought about Minot State, but believe the flood has put that potential program on the back burner for now.

Compact travel for the Northern Sun schools and you can make a single trip to Alaska, playing back to back weekends. (Do it around Thanksgiving and in early January to minimize lost class time.)

Great Lakes Hockey Conference

CCHA Division

Northern Michigan

Lake Superior State

Ferris State

Bowling Green

Western Michigan

New Division

Alabama Huntsville

Niagara

Robert Morris

Mercyhurst

Lindenwood

Play own division 4 times, opposite division twice. Minimizes travel for CCHA schools to Alabama and preserves remaining rivalries. Gives emerging programs a full scholarship conference.

Lindenwood could potentially go Midnight SUN if another eastern school emerged for Great Lakes conference.

It's been posted several times on USCHO that WMU is out of the picture. I haven't found any papers/blogs that are reporting it though.

If the new league is looking for a good TV deal,do you see them pulling into any of the large state universities in the highly-populated Northeast, such as UMass,UConn, or Maine or perhaps a private school in a large city such as Boston University or Boston College ?