SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

So, just for arguments sake, do you suppose that Mr Faison was behind all this and will now campaign to be named the new conference's commissioner? :silly:

I have no idea, but the guy would be a great candidate. He's extremely knowledgable and effective as an administrator. I'm sure that given all the unfair flack he's taken during his tenure in Grand Forks over the nickname, he wouldn't mind a change of scenery at this point. I hope not. I hate to think where North Dakota athletics would be in 2013 without him.........................probably still in the Great West and an anemic WCHA.

They will if the CCHA and WCHA end up merging...

If they simply merged, they would have either 10 or 11 teams depending on what happens with Western Michigan, and also assuming Notre Dame is out (which they likely are). Even before the WCHA added Bemidji and UNO, it had an unbalanced schedule. I'd think, under the circmstances, a merged WCHA/CCHA could get creative with scheduling in order to include both Alaska schools, similar to how the Big Sky conference has done with having a less than ideal 13 team football league.

Via twitter

WCHA commish is meeting with Jack Larson, vp and gm of Xcel, on Thurs., talking about contract to keep Final Five at X.

I wonder if the 'Super Conference' has spoken with officials at the Xcel Energy Center. The 'X' is a great venue and I would hate to see the 'Super Conference' lose out on it.

Via twitter

I wonder if the 'Super Conference' has spoken with officials at the Xcel Energy Center. The 'X' is a great venue and I would hate to see the 'Super Conference' lose out on it.

You would have to wonder...

How about...."The Super Eight Conference". Brought to you of course by the Super Eight hotel chain.... :p

I had a discussion the other day with one of my friends about the end of the final five for the Sioux. What started as a group of four college roommates attending the Final Five turned into a group of about 20 heading to St. Paul every year. Ever since we have started attending the Sioux have made it every year, won the tournament three times, finished second twice, third twice, and fourth one time.

I have my doubts about the tournament being locked into St. Paul year in and out. St. Paul makes it easy for all of us to attend with our families, and a quick trip from wherever we are scattered in the Minnesota-North Dakota area. I know many Sioux fans will still follow them wherever the tournament ends up, but myself personally with a new baby boy (named him Carter by the way!) and a wife that isn't a huge sports fan to begin with means in two years we may be done seeing the Sioux play in their conference tournament live. :ohmy:

Unless I could somehow convince her to make a trip to Detroit or something like that in March.....not going to happen..... :lol:

<br />They will if the CCHA and WCHA end up merging...<br />
<br /><br /><br />

This was always my though, why not just combine the CCHA and the WCHA and have two different divisions, east and west or whatever? I think it makes more sense then an eight team conference.

Everyone should be all for Moorhead starting a program. The more teams the better right now in college hockey. With the strong possibility of schools dropping the sport over the next few years, we need to support schools adding it as much as possible...even if they are small schools like Moorhead.

agree. although, don't know how many fans they would draw with Moorhead High and the Force in the area.

Via twitter

I would think that Denver/CC probably lobbied to have the tournament in their area every few years considering that they are 1/3 of the conference as of now, so it's possible there might be 2 or 3 rotating venues for tournament play.

Hadn't seen this link before.. May explain why WMU seemed to be in, and later was out. Hockey East obviously wouldn't provide the scheduling flexibility that Notre Dame wants, if this report is true.

Notre Dame wants a seven team league

Notre Dame remains uncommitted to any conference at this time and is pressing for a smaller league that features a larger non-conference slate, according to multiple Mining Journal sources. The Irish are looking for a seven-team league with a 24-game conference schedule in order to fill the rest of their dates with meetings against fellow Bowl Championship Subdivision member Boston College and the Big Ten schools.

WMU could still be in the superconference if an unbalanced scheduled is used: 4 games x 5 teams + 2 games x 2 teams = 24.

Taz is very excited about the new Siouxper Conference. I wonder if alcohol is to be served at all Siouxper Conference arenas? This would be a good start.

As for names, they should call it "The Hockey Conference That Your Team is Not In". That way, whenever some smug Doomsdayer (eg Goofer) asks you what is the name of the new hockey conference-- which to their superior intellect is ruining college hockey-- you simply reply "The Hockey Conference That Your Team is Not In." This works fine, because no fan of a member school would ever ask such a dumb question.

"North Dakota Wins Inaugural Season Title as Champions of The Hockey Conference That Your Team is Not In By Defeating Denver In 6-1 Rout"

"Parise, Toews Enjoy REA Beverage as Sioux Host Irish In Matchup for The Hockey Conference That Your Team is Not In"

...and so on.

Finally, I would like to offer myself, Taz Boy, to assume all duties as Director of Ladies Entertainment for this new Conference. Yes, the ladies. I am like sugar to them.

taz

• Upvote 1

agree. although, don't know how many fans they would draw with Moorhead High and the Force in the area.

They would probably draw OK, besides the Force there are what...4 high school boys teams and 3 high school girls teams in Fargo, plus Moorhead boys and girls? Add in the surrounding area and that's a lot of hockey fans, I think they would show up to watch college hockey, especially if they could stagger their home schedule with UND's as much as possible.

Which brings me to my next question, wouldn't this be the perfect time for NDSU to take another look at hockey? They could join whatever becomes of the WCHA or CCHA and avoid the Denvers and Wisconsins and Minnesotas (yeah and UNDs) of the world until they got their program up to speed, if they have any thought of EVER playing D1 hockey the situation will never get better than this. And the old 'Fargo isn't a hockey town' excuse doesn't hold water, there's a hockey team around every corner in the F-M area now.

Which brings me to my next question, wouldn't this be the perfect time for NDSU to take another look at hockey? They could join whatever becomes of the WCHA or CCHA and avoid the Denvers and Wisconsins and Minnesotas (yeah and UNDs) of the world until they got their program up to speed, if they have any thought of EVER playing D1 hockey the situation will never get better than this. And the old 'Fargo isn't a hockey town' excuse doesn't hold water, there's a hockey team around every corner in the F-M area now.

NDSU hockey won't happen. NDSU fans pride themselves in permanently dissociating themsevels with the DIIs of the world like the Mankatos, Bemidjis, and St Clouds. NDSU in the new WCHA would be entirely beneath them ;)

NDSU hockey won't happen. NDSU fans pride themselves in permanently dissociating themsevels with the DIIs of the world like the Mankatos, Bemidjis, and St Clouds. NDSU in the new WCHA would be entirely beneath them ;)

That's what I assume too.

But it's such backwards thinking...I want to play with the big boys but I can't because I'm not good enough, so rather than playing with teams my own caliber until I get better I just won't play at all...what a defeatist attitude.