SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

You must have been watching MN on VHS because that program hasn't been comparable to Ohio Miami, Denver or the Fighing Sioux in years. Given their play the past few years, the uncertainty of and unproven BTH, I don't see recruitment of top players being the sure thing MN fans think it will be.

then you dont understand the fact that minnesota kids want to play for the gophers. 15 year old kids now days were 7 or 8 years old when the gophs won back to back and dreamed of playing for them some day. and even after theyve missed the ncaas a few years now and the sioux have been right in the mix, the U of M still have minnesotas top recruits like aj michaelson and brady skjei committing. give it up. have you watched college hockey the last 10 years or just the last 3? that being said, i didnt intend to come across as a troll so ill quit posting here. good luck come october.

then you dont understand the fact that minnesota kids want to play for the gophers. 15 year old kids now days were 7 or 8 years old when the gophs won back to back and dreamed of playing for them some day. and even after theyve missed the ncaas a few years now and the sioux have been right in the mix, the U of M still have minnesotas top recruits like aj michaelson and brady skjei committing. give it up. have you watched college hockey the last 10 years or just the last 3? that being said, i didnt intend to come across as a troll so ill quit posting here. good luck come october.

Bye

• Upvote 1

hey there. first post here.. gopher fan at that.

really surprised at how everyone here seems to think this new conference is going to help in recruiting. in terms of relevant teams, its the wcha minus Minnesota, St Cloud and Wisconsin plus Miami. if anyone is going to see a spike in recruiting here, its hockey east now that the wcha has split. in terms of the sioux- youll likely keep playing a very similar schedule to what you have been playing/will be playing these next 2 years (2 series each against CC, Duluth, Denver, Omaha, and Miami) plus problably one non conference series a year against Minnesota/Wisconsin (if you change your name), St Cloud, Bemidji, etc.. So the only difference I really see is Miami.

And PLEASE tell me any hopes of a tv deal with versus is a joke.

With the budgetary issues Minnesota has and with higher education begging and pleading the legislature not to cut funding (we can harm "the kids" you know), the very last thing the U of M should be thinking about is cutting games with teams that draw HUGE revenues because of some cockamamie, unjustifiable and idiotic PC sentiment over a nickname. So, U of M Board of Regents, you are going to not schedule the Fighting Sioux of North Dakota - something that would generate hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue because of the history of the programs and because of the sheer mass of North Dakota born people living in Minnesota - BUT you're asking us to increase your funding, or at least hold it steady, because of budgetary issues? Yeah, that's logical. I've already written Rep. Tony Cornish about this foolishness.

then you dont understand the fact that minnesota kids want to play for the gophers.

Oshie, Stafford, Finley, Parise, Parise, etc., etc.,.......................I could go way back.

North Dakota's best players have traditionally come from Minnesota and Canada. I don't see that changing. I never felt that Minnesota and Wisonsin leaving the WCHA would have much of an effect on recruiting, and I certainly don't think North Dakota leaving the WCHA will either......................players that come to North Dakota don't choose to do so because they want to continue to play the same kids they played in midgets, bantams, and high school...........they come because it is a stepping stone to the biggest stage of hockey..............

Oshie, Stafford, Finley, Parise, Parise, etc., etc.,.......................I could go way back.

North Dakota's best players have traditionally come from Minnesota and Canada. I don't see that changing. I never felt that Minnesota and Wisonsin leaving the WCHA would have much of an effect on recruiting, and I certainly don't think North Dakota leaving the WCHA will either......................

Hockey players at this level want to be coached so their talent will improve and mature. They also want to play in a program that will 'show-case' them to the teams that drafted them, or if not drafted, to the scouts looking for new recruits. UND had the best NFL farm team in the country, just ask any NFL coach. This new league will guarantee that the players will play with and against the best of the best. ;)

Hockey players at this level want to be coached so their talent will improve and mature. They also want to play in a program that will 'show-case' them to the teams that drafted them, or if not drafted, to the scouts looking for new recruits. UND had the best NFL farm team in the country, just ask any NFL coach. This new league will guarantee that the players will play with and against the best of the best. ;)

I'm a North Dakota football fan first................. but you meant NHL right? :)

Wow!!! I think you forget that Minnesota can only have 18 full scholarships so they aren't going to get all of the best kids, a lot of them will go to other programs . Besides UMN isn't god's gift to college hockey. 7>5

• Downvote 1

Yes, but over the last five years or so, how many of the "I've always dreamed of playing for the Gophers" type of players actually stuck it out and wore the "M" with pride? It seems to me a lot of the blue chippers find out that it isn't as great as they thought it would be (or they don't get their way) and proceed to bail early. See: Kyle Okposo, Jordan Schroeder, etc.

I understand Lucia is under intense pressure to land the Minnesota blue chippers, but that strategy hasn't worked out well for him in recent years. A few weeks ago, Seth Ambroz stated on the NHL Network that UND is a better fit for his style and chose his words carefully when talking about the Gophers. It will be interesting to see how he does at Minnesota.

Interesting presentation referred to in Schlossman's blog.

http://whywestern.com/?DB_OEM_ID=4600

Also, as a look back, this was posted on this board a few months ago.

So, why is Western Michigan no longer part of the new conference plan? Their choice or the new conference's? If their committment is all that the powerpoint says it is, they have the vision the new conference should be looking for. It will also be a better footprint, not leaving Miami out on an island all by themselves. Come on, Western & Notre Dame make it 8!

A piece from the World Herald, complete with a new signature line for someone.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110710/MAVS/707109842/-1#purcell-in-out-all-that-matters-with-volatile-landscape

The best hint that this thing could be big is that the NCAA's biggest hockey program — North Dakota — is involved. When you're charged with steering Sioux pucks, you're not allowed to make this big of a move without being convinced big things are ahead.

I hadn't seen this article posted anywhere. Some interesting information in it.

https://www.ironmountaindailynews.com/page/content.detail/id/529242/Hockey-conference-realignment.html?nav=5006

So is WMU still on the outside looking in?

Multiple sources who would only speak on the condition of anonymity at Northern Michigan University, a CCHA member, have confirmed the formation of the new six-school league and next week's pending announcement, though those sources say Western Michigan is on the outside looking in despite a recent trip by WMU officials to North Dakota

A bit of information on SCSU which is contrary to what their President has been saying. Also interesting about BU and BC if true.

St. Cloud State of the WCHA is also pressing to get into the league, but it is unlikely the Huskies will be included, one source said. Invitations were also extended to Boston College and Boston University to join what has been dubbed the "Super League," but both schools turned down the offer to leave Hockey East.

And finally some info on what ND might be looking at.

Notre Dame remains uncommitted to any conference at this time and is pressing for a smaller league that features a larger non-conference slate, according to multiple Mining Journal sources. The Irish are looking for a seven-team league with a 24-game conference schedule in order to fill the rest of their dates with meetings against fellow Bowl Championship Subdivision member Boston College and the Big Ten schools.

Yahoo Sports: Why the new Superconference is horrible for college hockey

111872726.jpg

So somehow it's North Dakota's fault if it wants to improve it's lot in life, but Minnesota gets free rein to do what it wants? Minnesota had a choice regarding Big Ten Hockey: other BCS conferences like the Big East and the Big 12 would instantly have taken in the Gophers if Minnesota had taken a real stand. If Minnesota had real principles and gone to the Big East - which is begging for quality AAU schools - it might have had a shot at a decent football conference record, its basketball teams might have returned to their glory years, and the WCHA could have stayed intact. But the Big Ten's money and prestige made that concept simply unthinkable - relegating all gopher sports to the bottom of the barrel.

Let me get this straight. You're arguing Minnesota had a choice to turn down the Big Ten Hockey conference because had things not worked out we could just go join the Big East or Big 12? This has to be the worst thought out post in history.

Yeah we'll just leave the Big Ten, throwing away 100 years of tradition of being a member of the oldest and most renowned conference in the country just so our hockey team can continue to face the Bemidji's and Mankato's of the world. :silly:

Minnesota had NO CHOICE but to join the Big ten hockey conference once it was inevitable to happen. Maturi and Lucia were both on record saying they would rather just stay in the WCHA but we also had no choice but to vote for it once it came about. Now UND on the other hand DID have a choice of whether or not to stay in the WCHA minus UM and UW. That said I dont blame UND for doing what they felt they had to do. But to argue Minnesota had a choice to take a stand because we could simply go join another conference is beyond idiotic.

If you want to blame anyone, blame Alvarez.

• Upvote 1

Let me get this straight. You're arguing Minnesota had a choice to turn down the Big Ten Hockey conference because had things not worked out we could just go join the Big East or Big 12? This has to be the worst thought out post in history.

Yeah we'll just leave the Big Ten, throwing away 100 years of tradition of being a member of the oldest and most renowned conference in the country just so our hockey team can continue to face the Bemidji's and Mankato's of the world. :silly:

Minnesota had NO CHOICE but to join the Big ten hockey conference once it was inevitable to happen. Maturi and Lucia were both on record saying they would rather just stay in the WCHA but we also had no choice but to vote for it once it came about. Now UND on the other hand DID have a choice of whether or not to stay in the WCHA minus UM and UW. That said I dont blame UND for doing what they felt they had to do. But to argue Minnesota had a choice to take a stand because we could simply go join another conference is beyond idiotic.

I haven't placed an ounce of blame on Minnesota personally. I know how much the school and fanbase wanted to stay in the WCHA. This definitely comes down to Alvarez in the end.

no way any college conference will be on versus.

You realize the Versus TV deal is not fans wishing on a message board, its administrators at these super league teams saying they have had talks with the TV network. That is a fact. Sorry if you don't want them talking with Versus.

Your opinion of it is it might not happen which may come out to be true. But to wish for it not to happen is selfish on your gopher loving part.

As stated earlier in a link I posted, WMU officials traveled to UND last week to discuss the new conference. Here is a link to their web page they put together about their hockey program.

http://whywestern.com/

Notre Dame must be leaning towards Hockey East, because you'd really think this new conference would be doing anything to ensure Notre Dame joins. And maybe they have. Maybe they don't want WMU.

I also wonder if there won't be something happening out east with splitting conferences so Notre Dame can get big time institutions they want.

Notre Dame must be leaning towards Hockey East, because you'd really think this new conference would be doing anything to ensure Notre Dame joins. And maybe they have. Maybe they don't want WMU.

I also wonder if there won't be something happening out east with splitting conferences so Notre Dame can get big time institutions they want.

I don't know that Notre Dame doesn't want WMU. Somewhere in this thead, I read a link that stated WMU was going to follow Notre Dame wherever they go. For this kind of statement to have been made, indicates, to me anyway, that WMU and Notre Dame have talked and have formed a two U alliance of sorts.

I haven't placed an ounce of blame on Minnesota personally. I know how much the school and fanbase wanted to stay in the WCHA. This definitely comes down to Alvarez in the end.

I tend to agree. Most "hockey people" I know from Minnesota and Wisconsin feel that moving to a BTHC is a dumb move, where the sport will be treated like a second class citizen. Alvarez's desire to round out the B10 Network's programming came at the hockey programs' expense, and it remains to be seen if they will be able to shine like they did in hockey-only leagues.

Even without Notre Dame (which I strongly suspect will be joining Hockey East) this new conference will be fierce. I'm guessing if they do go HE we will probably stop at 6 teams instead of raiding the WCHA and CCHA for two more. Does anybody know if Fasion and other AD's are reaching out to schools like KU, Iowa State, Texas, and California to see if they might have an interest in starting up a D1 team. Iowa State's club team has done very well for themselves and might be the strongest of the bunch to make a jump. I think staying at 6 (assuming Notre Dame doesn't see the light) would at least leave opportunity for large BCS schools to join a conference their fans would respect.

You and some other idiots don't understand nuanaces. Did you actually need a ;) to understand? :lol:

Gopher fans have demanded that UND sacrifice to preserve the old WCHA, yet can not fathom sacrificing anything themselves. Besides, Gopher athletics is just a leach on the Big Ten: it would be better off in a lesser league. ;)

So somehow it's North Dakota's fault if it wants to improve it's lot in life, but Minnesota gets free rein to do what it wants? Minnesota had a choice regarding Big Ten Hockey: other BCS conferences like the Big East and the Big 12 would instantly have taken in the Gophers if Minnesota had taken a real stand. If Minnesota had real principles and gone to the Big East - which is begging for quality AAU schools - it might have had a shot at a decent football conference record, its basketball teams might have returned to their glory years, and the WCHA could have stayed intact. But the Big Ten's money and prestige made that concept simply unthinkable - relegating all gopher sports to the bottom of the barrel.