SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

I guess we can look at it another way. If what all the opponents of this say is true, North Dakota truly IS the most powerful force in college hockey! I think that some fans are mad because they are from the small schools, and the others thought that they would now have a recruiting advantage and would be able to exploit that with the Sioux staying status quo.

I'm amused at all of the vitriol being spouted by the morons on USCHO about UND and DU, while the BTHC schools seem to be getting a pass for starting this mess. Dullards from Tech, SCCC and Mankato keep crying as if every other school has an obligation to save their programs' ass. If "winning", as suggested by a poster on this board and USCHO, isn't enough to save their programs perhaps they should close them down and save themselves the embarrassment of fumbling around in the McLeod-era WCHA any longer.

mikejm:

Are you so seriously lacking in reading skills, or bipolar, or both\? Read the post again.

You're on ignore.

I realize you've enthroned me on your ignore list, but will you please explain how your post says anything different than how I read it?

Here's what you posted:

So somehow it's North Dakota's fault if it wants to improve it's lot in life, but Minnesota gets free rein to do what it wants? Minnesota had a choice regarding Big Ten Hockey: other BCS conferences like the Big East and the Big 12 would instantly have taken in the Gophers if Minnesota had taken a real stand. If Minnesota had real principles and gone to the Big East - which is begging for quality AAU schools - it might have had a shot at a decent football conference record, its basketball teams might have returned to their glory years, and the WCHA could have stayed intact. But the Big Ten's money and prestige made that concept simply unthinkable - relegating all gopher sports to the bottom of the barrel.

I suggest you re-read your own post. Explain to me how I mis-interpreted your words.

I'd look into some remedial language arts classes, too. Maybe a session on anger-management while you're there.

The number of people offended by the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo are very few when compared to the many who are not. Those many include persons who are actually Sioux natives. We're losing our name and logo because a few believe they are hostile and abusive. It's apparent that big numbers aren't needed to change what a few think is politically incorrect. So don't get all sanctimonious because you've only see 20 or so protestors. So, how many SCSU fans do you know who have gone public supporting the name and logo??

This is exactly what the problem with "politically correct" is. It is the imposition of the desires of the few on the rights of the rest of the world. 20 people may not be a lot, but that is more than the Standing Rock Tribal Council, and not all of them are against the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.

I'm amused at all of the vitriol being spouted by the morons on USCHO about UND and DU, while the BTHC schools seem to be getting a pass for starting this mess. Dullards from Tech, SCCC and Mankato keep crying as if every other school has an obligation to save their programs' ass. If "winning", as suggested by a poster on this board and USCHO, isn't enough to save their programs perhaps they should close them down and save themselves the embarrassment of fumbling around in the McLeod-era WCHA any longer.

It's 100+ days until the Sioux opener, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses

• Upvote 1

UND looking to keep up with times in new league

Reasons for the new conference....

Exposure

There have already been discussions with members of the new league and television executives about getting games nationally televised on Versus, which is expected to soon be re-branded as the NBC Sports Network.

Like-minded schools

You will probably hear athletic directors use the

BlackHeart, Petey23, and SiouxScore, why are you attacking me?

I am not going to take the time to look back through the thread, but if I was to venture a guess, you probably posted something stupid enough for me to click the little red button.

The way many are arguing that the new league will offer nothing more than the WCHA does now, and probably will hurt the Sioux because of recruiting in Minnesota, you would think those that hate the Sioux would love them moving into this conference. The fact is that all of those that hate the Sioux do not care about what it will do to the schools left behind in the WCHA, they care about the Sioux losing -- period. The fact that they argue so vehemently to the contrary of anyone that makes a point for the new conference shows the underlying emotions that a lot of them feel - fear! The fact is that uncertainty causes that kind of reaction. It caused that kind of reaction in me when it became reality that Minnesota and Wisconsin were leaving. Would they have a huge recruiting edge being in the Big Ten? I think this new league could help negate any advantage they may have gained, and if they could get a deal with Versus or maybe TSN in Canada, they might just come out of this with a recruiting advantage against Eastern teams in Canada, and be able to hold their own in the U.S. against Big Ten teams. I guess time will tell! Time will also tell if the crap about caring about Mankato State, Bemidji, St. Cloud and Michigan Tech, is indeed true. If Minnesota doesn't play at their venues every other year, then we'll see proof positive if this was all about the smaller teams, or more about fear of the unknown.

• Upvote 2

Don't you love when the headline and the story don't match? :D

Badgers hockey could join new league

Six members schools of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association plan to leave, forming a new conference. Among those departing for the 2013-2014 season is this year's National Champion Minnesota-Duluth team. Going with them will be Colorado College, Denver, Nebraska-Omaha and North Dakota.

Maybe it's wishful thinking.;)

hey there. first post here.. gopher fan at that.

really surprised at how everyone here seems to think this new conference is going to help in recruiting. in terms of relevant teams, its the wcha minus Minnesota, St Cloud and Wisconsin plus Miami. if anyone is going to see a spike in recruiting here, its hockey east now that the wcha has split. in terms of the sioux- youll likely keep playing a very similar schedule to what you have been playing/will be playing these next 2 years (2 series each against CC, Duluth, Denver, Omaha, and Miami) plus problably one non conference series a year against Minnesota/Wisconsin (if you change your name), St Cloud, Bemidji, etc.. So the only difference I really see is Miami.

And PLEASE tell me any hopes of a tv deal with versus is a joke.

• Downvote 1

really surprised at how everyone here seems to think this new conference is going to help in recruiting. in terms of relevant teams, its the wcha minus Minnesota, St Cloud and Wisconsin plus Miami. if anyone is going to see a spike in recruiting here, its hockey east now that the wcha has split. in terms of the sioux- youll likely keep playing a very similar schedule to what you have been playing/will be playing these next 2 years (2 series each against CC, Duluth, Denver, Omaha, and Miami) plus problably one non conference series a year against Minnesota/Wisconsin (if you change your name), St Cloud, Bemidji, etc.. So the only difference I really see is Miami.

What is this garbage?

Recruiting advantage to Hockey East? Give me a f-ing break. The ONLY recruiting advantage Hockey East has is in their own geographical region. Seriously. If a kid in Minnesota, or the Midwest is given a choice between playing for a Hockey East school and one closer to home, where do you think they go? This goes the same for East Coast kids. How many East Coast kids do you see in the WCHA or other schools around here? VERY FEW. Really, I don't think too many prospective recruits care much about name brand conference affiliation. They look at the hockey programs they are looking at playing for and those benefits. The new conference provides better competition than the watered down WCHA without Minny & Wisco does. Because let's face it, without MInny & Wisco in the WCHA you're looking at a league title from UND and DU almost every year. Sure, the other teams are competitive in the WCHA, but for the most part, have not challenged much for league championships. A little arrogant, but given recent trends, it would not be surprising.

And why are you so concerned about a TV deal with Versus?

First off let me say that it is refreshing to meet a troll who is not a Bison fan. Secondly, the schools in this conference have a strong and passionate fan base and the majority of which are located in decent sized media markets (Omaha, Denver, and Colorado Springs). Third, the leftover teams in the WCHA will have a much easier time competing for league championships and NCAA tournament berths. Fourth, this conference will most definitely attract high end recruits who want to play in the most competitive league in the NCAA. Last, this conference will kick the t-total !@$! out of any Big 10 team and will dominate the NCAA tournaments.

Who ruined college hockey? Blame Minnesota or Wisconsin but whatever you do, don't blame the North Dakota Fighting Sioux

Or Denver. Or UMD. Or UNO. Or CC.

Nope, don't blame them because they're just victims in the changing landscape of college hockey. The five of them blew up the WCHA to form their own mini power conference with Miami of Ohio (per NCAA rules you need at least six schools to start a conference), and perhaps eventually Notre Dame. But they didn't do it because they WANTED to destroy the WCHA and the CCHA, drawing a Grand Canyon-sized line in the sand between the college hockey haves and have nots. No, they did it because they HAD to.

They had to because Minnesota and Wisconsin forced them to. If the Gophers and Badgers hadn't left for the Big Ten hockey conference, everything would be fine and the world of college puck wouldn't be melting like ice on a July day. Mighty (and innocent) North Dakota never would have left for a more lucrative option if Minnesota and Wisconsin hadn't done it first.

It doesn't need to help in recruiting! It just needs to ensure that recruiting doesn't drop off because the schools are obviously competitive right now. By the way, what is your point about a possible deal with Versus?

fair enough, sioux force. and im not concerned about a tv deal- i just couldnt help myself at pointing that out after reading some of this thread. no way any college conference will be on versus. ill be thrilled if it happens. in regards to recruiting- kids that are from minnesota will still play for minnesota, duluth, denver, or nodak (maybe more michigan now). but the jt millers of the world may not. we will see.

irish fan- like it or not the big ten does have Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan- those three are comparable to nodak denver and.. thats it. miami and CC are a step below. Michigan State is no joke either (see ncaa 2007 tournament). id say comparable to duluth. hockey east is right up there now. 3 great conferences. sioux fans are the new gopher fans if you think this new conference is any better than 2 great traditions and 4 sometimes in, sometimes out schools. as long as schools like bemidji and st cloud find a way, ill be satisfied with these changes (I guess).. should be fun to see how it plays out.

First off let me say that it is refreshing to meet a troll who is not a Bison fan. Secondly, the schools in this conference have a strong and passionate fan base and the majority of which are located in decent sized media markets (Omaha, Denver, and Colorado Springs). Third, the leftover teams in the WCHA will have a much easier time competing for league championships and NCAA tournament berths. Fourth, this conference will most definitely attract high end recruits who want to play in the most competitive league in the NCAA. Last, this conference will kick the t-total !@$! out of any Big 10 team and will dominate the NCAA tournaments.

Your last line will be a tag line for somebody. I think the point of this conference is to remain competitive against Big Ten and other elite teams. I think college hockey as it has been in the past decade or so isn't dominated by one league anymore, and I think this move will help it be a competitive mix. It might be dominated by the big name leagues, but I don't think any one league will dominate like the WCHA used to.

fair enough, sioux force. and im not concerned about a tv deal- i just couldnt help myself at pointing that out after reading some of this thread. no way any college conference will be on versus. ill be thrilled if it happens. in regards to recruiting- kids that are from minnesota will still play for minnesota, duluth, denver, or nodak (maybe more michigan now). but the jt millers of the world may not. we will see.

irish fan- like it or not the big ten does have Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan- those three are comparable to nodak denver and.. thats it. miami and CC are a step below. Michigan State is no joke either (see ncaa 2007 tournament). id say comparable to duluth. hockey east is right up there now. 3 great conferences. sioux fans are the new gopher fans if you think this new conference is any better than 2 great traditions and 4 sometimes in, sometimes out schools. as long as schools like bemidji and st cloud find a way, ill be satisfied with these changes (I guess).. should be fun to see how it plays out.

Why would you say the J.T. Millers of the world might not play for them. The reasons high draft picks play for the Sioux is because of their reputation of developing players for the next level. To that extent, the Sioux would have been fine in the old WCHA.

irish fan- like it or not the big ten does have Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan- those three are comparable to nodak denver and.. thats it. miami and CC are a step below.

You must have been watching MN on VHS because that program hasn't been comparable to Ohio Miami, Denver or the Fighing Sioux in years. Given their play the past few years, the uncertainty of and unproven BTH, I don't see recruitment of top players being the sure thing MN fans think it will be.

Your last line will be a tag line for somebody. I think the point of this conference is to remain competitive against Big Ten and other elite teams. I think college hockey as it has been in the past decade or so isn't dominated by one league anymore, and I think this move will help it be a competitive mix. It might be dominated by the big name leagues, but I don't think any one league will dominate like the WCHA used to.

I think it's going to be years before the Big Ten is competitive.

I think it's going to be years before the Big Ten is competitive.

Michigan and Wisconsin have been to NCAA finals in the last few years, and Minnesota will get it together, with or without Lucia by the time they are actually in the Big Ten. College hockey in itself is very competitive right now, so I don't know why you think the Big Ten wouldn't be.

Michigan and Wisconsin have been to NCAA finals in the last few years, and Minnesota will get it together, with or without Lucia by the time they are actually in the Big Ten. College hockey in itself is very competitive right now, so I don't know why you think the Big Ten wouldn't be.

I guess I don't see MN getting it together in the next couple of years given the decline of their program the past few years. I think it's going to take more than getting rid of Hill. Lucia is the coach and will continue to be the coach, for awhile anyway, and if they haven't gotten it together with him by now, I don't see it happening. If they get a new coach, unless it's Blais, it's going to take awhile for him to get the program back where it used to be. I don't know about Wisconsin, they just seen to be missing something the past couple of years. It's almost like they don't care. My opinion is based on the couple of games I saw them play, so I'm probably wrong.