SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

Rumor has it Northern Michigan will return to the WCHA

Changes underway: Northern Michigan to WCHA

The CCHA would have to get some AHA teams to move over to survive if both NMU and UAF are moving to the WCHA:

Bowling Green

Ferris State

Lake Sup State

+Robert Morris

+Mercyhurst

+Niagara

+UAH

maybe W Mich

maybe Lindenwood

WCHA:

Mich Tech

N Mich

SCSU

Mankato

Bemidji

Anchorage

Fairbanks

maybe Moorhead

The CCHA would have to get some AHA teams to move over to survive if both NMU and UAF are moving to the WCHA:

Bowling Green

Ferris State

Lake Sup State

+Robert Morris

+Mercyhurst

+Niagara

+UAH

maybe W Mich

maybe Lindenwood

WCHA:

Mich Tech

N Mich

SCSU

Mankato

Bemidji

Anchorage

Fairbanks

maybe Moorhead

Moorhead? Do you really think they could start a DI hockey program?

With all that is going on in college hockey a lot of things have become painfully obvious.

1. Minnesota did NOT want to leave the WCHA to go to the B1G conference, but was forced, since the other 5 schools (WI too) were pushing them. I don't blame them for leaving, since the B!G Ten is their conference for all other sports and they weren't going to leave the Big Ten.

2. North Dakota did what is best for them by leaving a weaker WCHA to join/start a new "Super Conference".

3. The WCHA will survive, but no longer be the dominant college hockey conference.

Everyone can place blame on one another and say each school is greedy, but ALL schools are acting for the better interest of THEMSELVES! Minnesota and Wisconsin are leaving the WCHA to go to the BTHC for the televison contract and expanded national attention. They don't care about the SCSU, UMD, Kato or BSU and furthering their growth as hockey programs. If the U of M was really looking out for the BSUs of the world they would have played them more than once in the last 10 years in Bemidji, other than this past season. We'll see how they act when they need non-conference schedules filled out once their new BTHC league starts. All Minnesota and Wisconsin fans were laughing at the UND, DU and CCs of the world when they announced they were leaving the WCHA a few months ago.

Now that UND, DU, CC, UNO and UMD are part of a "Super Conference" and also leaving the WCHA the Minnesota and Wisconsin fans are blaming them for the collapse of the WCHA. UND will worry about UND just as Minnesota worries about Minnesota. UND has a chance to create/join a "Super Conference" that will allow them to compete with the BTHC and possibly get a national TV deal. If Notre Dame joins the "Super Conference", then Vs. aka NBC Sports deal will become a better possiblity. NBC may have a say in ND joing the "Super Conference" if they want to add college hockey to their Vs. lineup, due to the existing NBC Football deal with ND. There is no question that college hockey is still a niche sport, if anyone has lived outside of ND or Minn for any part of their life they would know that DU vs UND would gather the same interest as UM vs UW in hockey. if Vs. wants to broadcast college hockey, they will have to grow an audience. Trust me when I say that even in Denver there aren't many people who care about DU. CC is more similar to UND where there is a strong local hockey base, but this is because they have no professional teams in the Springs. I know, since I lived there.

The remaining WCHA schools will be fine, but the conference is weaker. UM, UW, UND, DU, CC and UMD have been the class of the WCHA for some time. That now will end in a couple years, but the SCSU, Kato, BSU and others will now have a better chance at moving up in the standings. The BTHC, HE and Super Conference are now the 3 major forces in college hockey. The have and have-nots have been labeled and there will be a lot of bitterness. All schools are doing what is best for them and their bottom lines. This is America and this is what happens. None of the schools leaving are looking out for anything other than #1 and as an American who can blame them.

1+

Not picking on anyone in particular here, but a point of clarification is in order. Minnesota and Wisconsin had two choices regarding Big Ten Hockey: follow Big Ten rules and move their program(s) into the newly-formed conference; or quit the Big Ten in all other sports. They couldn't be in the WCHA once the BTHC was announced.

I'm not trying to stick up for either the Gophers or Badgers, but in matter of fact, they really had no choice.

Not picking on anyone in particular here, but a point of clarification is in order. Minnesota and Wisconsin had two choices regarding Big Ten Hockey: follow Big Ten rules and move their program(s) into the newly-formed conference; or quit the Big Ten in all other sports. They couldn't be in the WCHA once the BTHC was announced.

I'm not trying to stick up for either the Gophers or Badgers, but in matter of fact, they really had no choice.

That being said, are you for the new conference?

This exemplifies the arrogance of the Big 10, or 12, or 6 or whatever the hell they call themselves. PSU has not ever had one game under their belt, yet the other 5 established programs had to yield to a program that will languish for years as a loser. They should have had to "earn their stripes" by competing in a conference, either one of the Eastern conferences, Hockey America or someplace. Just because they are a "Big 10" school does not mean they will be anywhere near competitive. Alvarez has really sold out the UW and U of M on this one. Have you ever tried to get to State College, Pa.? It is worse than Mich. Tech. Gopher fans, I hate you, but I feel sorry for you. Badger fans, I like you, but I also feel sorry for you. Your buddy Alvarez blew this one!

That being said, are you for the new conference?

I'm excited for UND Hockey. I think the speculation about how the smaller schools might drag the WCHA down to their level of $$$ investment is probably well-founded. I believe we'll see some very exciting, up-tempo hockey, as teams' talent levels will be closer and shouldn't have to resort to clutch-and-grab play. I presume the level of officiating will be improved. A "major" television presence would be nice, but I don't really expect that to happen.

One reality of the new conference that hasn't garnered very much press yet is the fact that

I get that. But I don't think they deserve much slack for it. In the end, they made a decision that they had to make, and if that was harmful to others, they still bear responsibility for it.

I think, as you say, it's easier to understand why they did what they did, but they are still responsible for starting the process.

Yeah...he exudes Goofer arrogance to the fullest. Blaming the other schools for doing what they think is best, while UM and UW started all this mess. It's pretty easy to say "B1G" was inevitable and UM had nothing to do with it, but then turn around and blame UND and DU for thinking for themselves on the deal??? his attitude is right in line with what I'd expect. basically, he says, ...we're set, but others shouldn't do anything that will kill the small guys. Doh-Kay. State of Hockey is a joke.

On the other hand, I don't totally believe this move is the best for college hockey or the Sioux. Personally as a fan, I will miss having most road games within driving distance.. The local connection and rivalries will be lost since it will hinder streams of Sioux fans traveling all over Minnesota to see games in opposing rinks like in present times. I do know that St.Cloud, Mankato, etc... will miss the added revenue the city receives as a result of UND not playing in those arenas year after year. also, the regional rivalries and fan interaction will fade away.

One thing i do disagree with most college bloggers is that the lost revenue at the rinks for teams that are left out. i have seen some of our best Sioux teams play in front of 800-1200 spectators at opposing rinks. if not for Sioux fans, the buildings would be empty. so, i don't think rink revenue will suffer all that much for the left behind schools at the gate. Michigan Tech will still have the same amount of fans at the games in Houghton whether they play Mankato or North Dakota.. Revenue sharing with tournaments etc, is the killer for them.

You are right on with Hammy. What pompous ass.

Totally agree with your sentiment about the "local" games. I'm really going to miss going to games in SC and Mankato, as well as the Final Five.

No wonder UND left for the super conference:

The WCHA losses Minnesota and Wisconsin and there could be a likely hood of forming a WCHA rivalry with Moorhead! :silly:

I re-read that article and it was a regurgitation of an earlier post. I don

Totally agree with your sentiment about the "local" games. I'm really going to miss going to games in SC and Mankato, as well as the Final Five.

Be interesting to see how and where the post-season tournament is run, I would guess that Denver/CC would like to see it in Denver about every 3 years, unless they actually reward the regular season champ with hosting the tournament...just one more thing for them to work out.

Everyone should be all for Moorhead starting a program. The more teams the better right now in college hockey. With the strong possibility of schools dropping the sport over the next few years, we need to support schools adding it as much as possible...even if they are small schools like Moorhead.

I have a question, how in the hell did you know he was talking about Hammy? Just asking... :)

. . .

But what is exciting about this is the potential this creates for adding big names and population centers. Unlike the NHL which went all the way to the deep south, and is now retrenching, I would think college hockey could have a footprint where hockey at other levels has had a long presence:

* in the Twin Cities: St Thomas, or Concordia-St Paul ....

* Iowa State: long rumored ...

* Chicago: Northwestern, maybe?

* St Louis: Lindenwood will probably be going D1 in "everything" as soon as possible.

* Syracuse: excellent addition to the CHSL.

* even UBC, if that comes to pass.

* or pick a major metro area, with a school that isn't overly wedded to football, and you've got a candidate.

More likely:

Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue. All Big 10 schools with money who will now have a conference home and will want to share in Big 10 tv money for hockey broadcasts. Other schools with tiny athletic budgets will have a hard time trying to afford D1 hockey. It's a lot of scholarships, a lot of travel, and ice is expensive.

Bowling Green

Ferris State

Lake Sup State

+Robert Morris

+Mercyhurst

+Niagara

+UAH

maybe W Mich

maybe Lindenwood

WCHA:

Mich Tech

N Mich

SCSU

Mankato

Bemidji

Anchorage

Fairbanks

maybe Moorhead

I cannot see UAF and UAA in the same conference. For a balanced schedule, that would require each of these left behind WCHA teams to travel twice a year to Alaska for hockey. And possibly travel again for a first round conference playoff. It is expensive to travel up there.

I tend to agree. Most "hockey people" I know from Minnesota and Wisconsin feel that moving to a BTHC is a dumb move, where the sport will be treated like a second class citizen. Alvarez's desire to round out the B10 Network's programming came at the hockey programs' expense, and it remains to be seen if they will be able to shine like they did in hockey-only leagues.

I'm of the opinion that hockey at UMTC & Wisco was already treated like a second class citizen. Alvarez takes alot of blame for all this because he was so vocal about being in favor of Big 10 hockey, but I really don't see much of a downside for the Big 10 hockey playing-schools forming their own exclusive league under the same umbrella that all their other sports participate in. All of their traditional WCHA and CCHA rivals will be on their knees pleading to play games against them. Probably 90% of each teams games will be televised on the Big 10 Network, the marquee ones nationally on the main channel and the rest on its alternates. More live programming on the Big 10 Net will add $ to the member coffers.

I don't think its good for college hockey in general, but I think it is real good for the Big 10 schools...............................especially Penn St.

I cannot see UAF and UAA in the same conference. For a balanced schedule, that would require each of these left behind WCHA teams to travel twice a year to Alaska for hockey. And possibly travel again for a first round conference playoff. It is expensive to travel up there.

They will if the CCHA and WCHA end up merging...