SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

Not when a block of schools (the future WCHA) was not voting for leadership change.

Wasn't he just given an extension before this all happened with future NCHC schools approving? Back to the question of what was gained? It should be easier to get a TV package with a two division WCHA (larger footprint) that is now forming, and with a playoff structure tournament that makes money. Maybe some answers will be forthcoming when a commissioner is hired for the NCHC.

Wasn't he just given an extension before this all happened with future NCHC schools approving? Back to the question of what was gained? It should be easier to get a TV package with a two division WCHA (larger footprint) that is now forming, and with a playoff structure tournament that makes money. Maybe some answers will be forthcoming when a commissioner is hired for the NCHC.

The new WCHA is worth almost nothing for TV rights as it doesn't have any name schools. People may like MTU for its tradition, but it offers absolutely no TV value except on a public outlet (much like Bemidji State or Mankato). Now the WCHA is a league centered in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, which basically has a few more people than Fargo-Moorhead. The WCHA has as much of a shot at getting a paying TV deal as the Northern Sun or GLIAC. Both of those leagues actually get games on TV - but they are broadcast either free or for a pittance. The tournament structure for the WCHA will badly hurt the league too: no more big arenas that sell out and go into the WCHA coffers and who exactly is going to buy Final Five tickets ahead of time? Don't be surprised if the WCHA goes to regional playoffs: UAF vs UAA (regardless of standing), MInnesota school playoffs, and Michigan schools playoff for the right to a Final Five. Last minute fares to fly to Fairbanks or even to Big Rapids (Ferris) for playoffs will just be too expensive for the new WCHA to afford.

That said, the NCHC badly needs Notre Dame to get a reasonable TV deal. The league will be O.K. otherwise.

According to some St Cloud posters on USCHO, SCSU's Potter will know this coming week whether SCSU is in the NCHC.

NCHC either adds Notre Dame and stays at seven (a Notre Dame demand)

or adds WMU and SCSU. Bowling Green gets left out.

I don't know if I believe that... That's just message board fodder.

Agreed. SCSU made its bed, it needs to learn to live with it. If it becomes a 6 former WCHA teams plus Miami, then why even split from the WCHA?

I have to agree why leave the WCHA if we are going to turn around and then offer SCSU a spot in the conference.

I thought the decision was based on increasing revenues. Or was the goal to f-over certain members of the WCHA. wow.gif

It's about being in a league with like minded schools and SCSU is not a like minded school. The implosion in college football and college basketball could end up sending Notre Dame to the Big Ten so I am hoping that the NCHC doesn't think, lets add SCSU to the NCHC... If that's the case I would rather we add BGSU and WMU to go along with Miami, because they are all MAC schools.

Well, folks. The creation of the NCHC just became stupid IMO.

NCHC ready to expand

The National Collegiate Hockey Conference will likely expand by the end of the week.

The NCHC will invite Western Michigan and St. Cloud State to join UND, Denver, Colorado College, Nebraska-Omaha, Minnesota-Duluth and Miami in the new league that will start in 2013-14, sources say.

Both schools are expected to accept the invites.

Link: http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/216174/group/Sports/

I seriously don't get the idea behind inviting St. Cloud. I thought the NCHC schools wanted to move away from a school like SCSU? Should've just stayed in the WCHA in this case. And if Notre Dame is able to remain independent in football, will the NCHC still look appealing by becoming an 9 team conference(if ND joins)? Since the whole theory has been that ND only wants to be in a 7 team conference.

I have to admit this whole NCHC is looking less attractive if the likes of St. Cloud join it. I just don't understand the thinking in this one. Let's hope it's not true. I wonder if there is some petition we could sign to nt allow St Cloud into the NCHC. If they are they will immediately poison the well.