SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

Perhaps an email to our AD Brian Faison letting him know our feelings of having SCSU join the NCHC. brian.faison@athletics.und.edu. I believe this to be a very poor decision to bring St. Cloud into the NCHC and could seriously jeopardize the integrity of the NCHC. Really to bad if true and almost gives you buyers remorse.

Perhaps an email to our AD Brian Faison letting him know our feelings of having SCSU join the NCHC. brian.faison@athletics.und.edu. I believe this to be a very poor decision to bring St. Cloud into the NCHC and could seriously jeopardize the integrity of the NCHC. Really to bad if true and almost gives you buyers remorse.

That's a great ideal! I'm definitely doing that, should we send them to the other AD's in the NCHC as well. If so, could someone post the contact info? We should blow there email up with protest about this before it's official.

Upside to St. Cloud State:

Nice road trip distance

Rowdy atmosphere - it's the only sport students care about

A small but friendly booster club - SCSU and UND have had some enjoyable pre-game socials

Their history of being anti Sioux nickname left when President Santiago retired

Downside to St. Cloud State:

They will always be a second tier school

They will always be fighting for money to keep nice facilitites (and lose to UofM)

They are not a destination school for students, they are a "settle for" school

I would not doubt that dropping football is on their double secret agenda like Omaha. They have already dropped homecoming a football event, they were ready to drop football last year until student funding came through.

If the clowns from clown town are invited, and they go against their word and join, they better clean up their act and get that arena upgraded like I have heard they are. They also better drop football so they have money for hockey. The new car that is the NCHC just got keyed badly, is that Gino walking away with a key in his hand?

Maybe if Notre Dame falls through, we can get Black Hills State to climb aboard the NCHC express. :silly:

My guess is that UND already know what ND's decision is going to be. Thus the invite to WMU and SCSU. Chances are they ND has decided to not join the NCHC...either that or they are ok with 9 members (not very likely).

For $15K a month, he had to deliver something. :glare:

May as well just stay in the f'ing WCHA and keep McClown around as Commissioner.

Actually, as someone pointed out to me, you've traded AA, MTU, Bemidji and the WCHA leadership for Miami, Western MI, and hopefully a decent conference leadership group.

Not all that bad of a trade, considering how much we belly-ached about McLeod for years. And none of us thought the WCHA was an inferior conference at that point.

• Upvote 2

My guess is that UND already know what ND's decision is going to be. Thus the invite to WMU and SCSU. Chances are they ND has decided to not join the NCHC...either that or they are ok with 9 members (not very likely).

If ND comes in, they will want an unbalanced schedule and the NCHC will agree.

What does the SCSU move mean to a WCHA Moorhead marriage?

If ND comes in, they will want an unbalanced schedule and the NCHC will agree.

What does the SCSU move mean to a WCHA Moorhead marriage?

If you believe the rumor that ND wanted 7 teams so they could play more non-conference teams in the Big 10 and the Boston Schools, then the news today would indicate they are not joining the NCHC. That's what I was pointing out in my original post...

Actually, as someone pointed out to me, you've traded AA, MTU, Bemidji and the WCHA leadership for Miami, Western MI, and hopefully a decent conference leadership group.

Not all that bad of a trade, considering how much we belly-ached about McLeod for years. And none of us thought the WCHA was an inferior conference at that point.

You forgot to mention SCSU in on that trade (must have been in the fine print). How on Earth does St. Cloud help us generate enough interest to get a major tv deal? It seems like we are now moving backwards rapidly, I kinda wish UND would have gone independent we are one of the few programs that could and make it profitable.

If you believe the rumor that ND wanted 7 teams so they could play more non-conference teams in the Big 10 and the Boston Schools, then the news today would indicate they are not joining the NCHC. That's what I was pointing out in my original post...

It would seem that way, otherwise we'd be right back to the unbalanced WCHA-type schedule...play some teams twice and others once, not the best setup from my viewpoint.

I personally wouldn't want Gino as commissioner. First, everyone would complain that he plays favorites to UND, and secondly, the probability that he had some sway getting SCSU into the NCHC shows that the good old boys network is alive and well. I was hoping that kind of thing would be left behind in the WCHA with Bruce Mcleod and Gregg Sheppard.

You forgot to mention SCSU in on that trade (must have been in the fine print). How on Earth does St. Cloud help us generate enough interest to get a major tv deal? It seems like we are now moving backwards rapidly, I kinda wish UND would have gone independent we are one of the few programs that could and make it profitable.

We didn't really trade SCSU, they were there before and after, like Denver, CC, and Duluth.

Thats my point. That problem could be mitigated if the NCHC didn't go with a true round robin schedule in order to allow for more non-conference games.

How on Earth does St. Cloud help us generate enough interest to get a major tv deal? It seems like we are now moving backwards rapidly, I kinda wish UND would have gone independent we are one of the few programs that could and make it profitable.

Like dmksioux said, my bet is that the NCHC are already aware of Notre Dame's intentions, and they probably do not include joining the NCHC. I don't like the addition of St.Cloud at all either. I would much prefer Bowling Green or Air Force. However, St. Cloud probably makes the most sense of anybody (other than Notre Dame) from a television standpoint. Fox Sports North is going to be losing alot of programming when Big 10 Hockey starts up, and having Duluth, St Cloud, CC, and Denver, the NCHC will have significant presence in 2 of the 4 major college hockey markets in the U.S. (if you consider Minneapolis, Denver, Detroit, and New England the 4 biggest markets for college hockey................)