SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

I have to admit this whole NCHC is looking less attractive if the likes of St. Cloud join it. I just don't understand the thinking in this one. Let's hope it's not true. I wonder if there is some petition we could sign to nt allow St Cloud into the NCHC. If they are they will immediately poison the well.

Agreed, but on the bright side, every conference needs a bottom feeder. This couldn't get much worse. What's next, an invite to the Gophers? :lol:

location, location, location.

Bemidji has shown a greater committment to their hockey program, Bowling Green would improve the 'national' footprint, Bowling Green is D-I and a fellow MAC school for Miami & Western Michigan

SCSU has Gino pullling strings, SCSU is close enough to the Twin Cities to have a lot of alumni in the MSP tv market, SCSU gets blind-squirrel lucky

LOL! A "large" TV deal for college hockey? I don't think so...

That's the spirit, think small. With the right marketing behind it I believe college hockey could be a very viable sport for certain regions in the US and Canada. I thought that's what the NCHC was trying to do, to increase the visibility of the sport through new marketing techniques.

I think that it is great that SCSU will be a part of the new league. The Huskies have, historically, had a greater commitment to hockey than has either Nortre Dame or Bowling Green. The Huskies have a good coach, an improved building, and are a solid geographical fit. Obviously, Miami and the others have no problem with St. Clown or this would not be happening. It's nice to see the league show some early integrity and stop catering to Notre Lousy Dame.

Three teams in the league along Highway 2 would have been overkill. I hate to see BSU take the hosing, but it will be fine in the revamped WCHA.

Does anyone know who is calling the shots on deciding what schools are to be invited into the NCHC conference. With no commissioner as of right now, who is deciding these factors.

I would assume the 6 existing members would have the voting rights regarding new members, probably with Denver and UND being the leaders (no facts, just speculation).

That's the spirit, think small. With the right marketing behind it I believe college hockey could be a very viable sport for certain regions in the US and Canada. I thought that's what the NCHC was trying to do, to increase the visibility of the sport through new marketing techniques.

I would like to hear some objectivity in regards to TV revenue. It's all speculative at this point. I agree...people shouldn't think small. If you people could read these posts through the eyes of an outsider you'd be dubious too.

If this conference was formed to generate TV revenue, there's no other school in the state of Minnesota that makes more sense than SCSU. I think the NCHC officials are thinking with their pocketbooks and some (very vocal) UND fans are being irrational. I've said it before, I am against SCSU joining the NCHC. I apologize for being a smart ***.

I would like to hear some objectivity in regards to TV revenue. It's all speculative at this point. I agree...people shouldn't think small. If you people could read these posts through the eyes of an outsider you'd be dubious too.

If this conference was formed to generate TV revenue, there's no other school in the state of Minnesota that makes more sense than SCSU. I think the NCHC officials are thinking with their pocketbooks and some (very vocal) UND fans are being irrational. I've said it before, I am against SCSU joining the NCHC. I apologize for being a smart ***.

Can you start a ground swell of SCSU fans to protest joining, and threaten state legislation against it!

I would assume the 6 existing members would have the voting rights regarding new members, probably with Denver and UND being the leaders (no facts, just speculation).

I would also add that the consulting firm that was hired has probably made a list of schools that align the closest with the goals of the NCHC.

Here is a link to some info on the consulting firms involved... http://letsgodu.blogspot.com/2011/07/three-consultants-to-guide-nchc.html

Well, there it is.

Now it will be interesting to see how St. Cloud backtracks on their 'we didn't want to play there anyway' statements or if they...um...turn the invite down.

I would expect a good deal of spin related to "the changing landscape of college hockey" their "renewed investment in facilities, equipment, etc." Not to mention the need to highlight all of that "laundry" that passes for banners in the NCC on TV. I see no upside to allowing SCCC into the new league. St. Cloud doesn't even qualify as a suburb of MSP. Its administration's apathetic, if not hostile, attitude towards sports in general is evident in the fact they haven't raised a good deal of private money to support them.

Hockey is an expensive sport. Those who were thinking that Bowling Green would be a good addition are flatly wrong and not paying attention to the economics.

Miami will have a hard time hanging in there on the travel, as will WMU. Those who were thinking that this conference would match its rather stupid name and go "National" now have their answer. There are, save for the Alaska schools who may soon turn to dust in the wind, few schools, if any, that can sustain travel budgets outside of their regional play on a consistent basis.

College hockey will never be a national sport. If the NHL cannot do it, college programs across the land already working on thinning dimes will not do it.

I said it before and I will say it again. This move will not pan out to be a good move for the overall health of the game that we love. The Pig Ten started it. We followed. Now watch some programs wither rather than to see the landscape grow.

That's twice now Brian Faison has had Sioux fans feeling thrilled with new conferences, only to have it tempered after the initial conceptions are not completely what they were supposed to be. With the Big Sky we needed a conference any which way, but after that blindside, you would have thought they would get their ducks in a row ahead of time instead of having to backtrack embarrassingly. And if it isn't backtracking, why wasn't St. Cloud invited the first time around? Totally agree, much spin to come.

That's twice now Brian Faison has had Sioux fans feeling thrilled with new conferences, only to have it tempered after the initial conceptions are not completely what they were supposed to be. With the Big Sky we needed a conference any which way, but after that blindside, you would have thought they would get their ducks in a row ahead of time instead of having to backtrack embarrassingly. And if it isn't backtracking, why wasn't St. Cloud invited the first time around? Totally agree, much spin to come.

The NCHC had to have a " no Notre Dame contingency plan".

Hockey is an expensive sport. Those who were thinking that Bowling Green would be a good addition are flatly wrong and not paying attention to the economics.

Miami will have a hard time hanging in there on the travel, as will WMU. Those who were thinking that this conference would match its rather stupid name and go "National" now have their answer. There are, save for the Alaska schools who may soon turn to dust in the wind, few schools, if any, that can sustain travel budgets outside of their regional play on a consistent basis.

College hockey will never be a national sport. If the NHL cannot do it, college programs across the land already working on thinning dimes will not do it.

I said it before and I will say it again. This move will not pan out to be a good move for the overall health of the game that we love. The Pig Ten started it. We followed. Now watch some programs wither rather than to see the landscape grow.

Right on!

The NCHC had to have a " no Notre Dame contingency plan".

Seems to be the consensus that ND is not coming.

But, what other options do they have exactly? Independence is untenable (imo). Hockey East appears to be out and the BigTen would take a gigantic philosophical shift for ND as an institution.

Odds still heavily favor ND to "The National."