SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

Back then people said that guy was nuts and nothing would ever change.

Tell that to Nebraska in the same conference as Minnesota. Tell that to Colorado and Utah in the PAC-10 ... er, 12, uh, whatever.

Who was that guy again ... oh, ... wait ...

Back then, I believe PCM was posting on this board so I'm pretty sure it was either him or Star2City. They're probably too modest to come on here and brag about it though. ;):)

If this happened would all the CCHA commish and staff stay in place?

Highly unlikely, as a Commish needs a majority vote. If there is an existing contract, however, there might need to be a finanical settlement.

And no way does the NCAA not give NCHC and B1G an auto bid. They need those teams and their fans in the tourney. I don't think the NCHC needs an auto bid, but the B1G on the other hand...

The NCAA will grant the NCHC and B1G an auto bid, just that it won't occur until the third year.

PCM left for the greener pastures ;) of uscho, correct?

I believe you're right. I heard through the grapevine that the national exposure and big payday from uscho lured him away from SiouxSports. It's kind of like the Gophers and Badgers kicking the WCHA to the curb for the big bucks and national exposure of the Big Ten Network. ;)

SCSU extends contract with Gino

Gino: Just this one time, mess this up badly: :D

Partly because of his experience and relationship to North Dakota, there has been speculation that St. Cloud State is working behind the scenes to gain membership into the NCHC. Neither Gasparini nor Potter would confirm that that is happening.

My response is that Im representing St. Cloud State and St. Cloud State is a member of the WCHA and has been for 20-plus years, Gasparini said. We only have control over what we have control over and that is our relationship with the WCHA and its future.

We've been keeping in touch with their progress, Potter said of the NCHC.

Translation: SCSU is doing everything possible to politic itself into the NCHC.

On being commish of the NCHC:

Gasparini laughed when asked if he was interested in that position.

Theres a lot of rumors. Im busy enough right now, he said.

SCSU extends contract with Gino

Gino: Just this one time, mess this up badly: :D

Translation: SCSU is doing everything possible to politic itself into the NCHC.

On being commish of the NCHC:

I really hope St. Cloud doesn't get an invite. What would be the point of starting the NCHC id were just going to invite the schools we were trying to get away from?

I really hope St. Cloud doesn't get an invite. What would be the point of starting the NCHC id were just going to invite the schools we were trying to get away from?

Agreed....................

If it isn't Notre Dame.......................I'd much rather see the NCHC pursue the likes of Air Force, WMU, Bowling Green, or even Michigan Tech..................

Back then, I believe PCM was posting on this board so I'm pretty sure it was either him or Star2City. They're probably too modest to come on here and brag about it though. ;):)

You pretend to recall what you will. You know who saw the handwriting on the wall a decade ago. :)

Anyone else wondering if Notre Dame is holding out as long as possible to see how this next round of FBS shuffle works out?

That is almost certainly part of the situation - especially with regards to TV rights and where ND hockey would be broadcast: ND doesn't want to commit to anything until the dust settles. Joining the NCHC now could mean that the NCHC's TV contract might create unwelcome TV issues for ND's other sports, if it had to switch conferences later.

Imagine if the Big East lost Syracuse, UConn, and Pitt to the ACC (which is a reasonable probability with the A&M news). The Big East would be forced to add a bunch of CUSA schools - making ND and the non-BB schools very unhappy. Notre Dame's end game if it wants to avoid the B1G: join the Big 12 (and get the same deal as Texas with its own network) or join the ACC and maintain some NE rivals (BC, maybe Pitt, Syracuse, and/or UConn).

I believe you're right. I heard through the grapevine that the national exposure and big payday from uscho lured him away from SiouxSports. It's kind of like the Gophers and Badgers kicking the WCHA to the curb for the big bucks and national exposure of the Big Ten Network. ;)

More money but way bigger cesspool...

I would much rather WMU to BGSU than St. Cloud. In fact I wouldn't mind just being a 6 team conference if ND doesn't join, the OOC schedule could be packed with HE and B10 as well as a few old WCHA rivals and would make for an exciting season.

To be perfectly honest as an academic institution with a large fan following in a mid major metro area with high incomes etc. the inclusion of Alabama Huntsville to the NCHA would be far superior to SCSU and many of the other proposed schools. Huntsville is a tech center, an industrial center and a population boomer. I vote for adding them and Air Force if the F%^&*ing Irish decide not to join!

To be perfectly honest as an academic institution with a large fan following in a mid major metro area with high incomes etc. the inclusion of Alabama Huntsville to the NCHA would be far superior to SCSU and many of the other proposed schools. Huntsville is a tech center, an industrial center and a population boomer. I vote for adding them and Air Force if the F%^&*ing Irish decide not to join!

Can we get over the Air Force fetish already? They don't want any part of a league that they are going to be a bottom-feeder every year.

Can we get over the Air Force fetish already? They don't want any part of a league that they are going to be a bottom-feeder every year.

The AFA will not be in the WCHA or the NCHC, they want to be in the same conference as Army. The AHA is more the AFA's speed.

I don't WANT to be in "the National." But even if we DID join, we'd bring a heck of a lot more to the table than MTU or BGSU like that other doofus was suggesting.

In terms of academics both schools are more "like institutions" that are already in the NCHC. You guys wouldn't be dropping $15,000 a month on Gino if you didn't think there was a chance of you getting in. I feel bad for the St. Cloud fans, I honestly do, but there is way to much bad blood for me or any true Sioux fan to want to be in a conference with the likes of St. Cloud.

• Upvote 3

The AFA will not be in the WCHA or the NCHC, they want to be in the same conference as Army. The AHA is more the AFA's speed.

Honestly, a great indication of how Air Force would perform in the NCHC will be coming up in October during the Ice Breakers tournament. I tend to agree with you though, I don't think they could handle the competition in the National. WOuld love to see their name on the roster though.

I don't WANT to be in "the National." But even if we DID join, we'd bring a heck of a lot more to the table than MTU or BGSU like that other doofus was suggesting.

Like what? BGSU and MTU have "actually" won NCAA championships, your team has won 1 game in 8 trips to the NCAA tourney.

Edited by Goon

Agree with the UAH part. UAH is a decent academic school in a market that is begging for a home team to root for (Alabama A&M unfortunately doesn't count ). If UAH was ever in a decent conference, it's recruiting potential would be very good. UAH also has a better rink than either BGSU or WMU and is in a bigger metro area. The problem with UAH is that its leadership seems no longer committed to hockey (hiring a non-hockey AD after their previous hockey-loving AD died from a heart attack seemed like a bad sign). Anyone the NCHC adds needs to be totally committed. Air Force can't totally commit to hockey (can't gain the needed recruits), so AFA shouldn't be considered (plus the NCHC already owns the Colorado Springs market.) If necessary, - and I know this wouldn't be popular with traditionalists - give incentives to certain programs to start hockey, like Iowa State, Buffalo, UW-Green Bay, UW-Milwaukee, or some other Big12 school.

If the NCHC is really going to live up to being a National conference in scope, the whole idea of taking St Cloud would turn the concept into a joke. Let BGSU and WMU add four teams from the AHA to keep the CCHA going. Set up a partial interlocking schedule between this new CCHA and the NCHC, to ensure both have enough games. Maybe in a couple of years when any of those programs have proven their development (and had arena improvements), one or two could graduate to the NCHC, or the two leagues could merge.