SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Hook, line and sinker how?

Just another example of giving the squeaky wheel and those with hurt feelings more publicity when in fact their opinion at this stage should not matter one bit. They all had their say already.

How much coverage has the Fargo Forum given the Spirit lake Sioux through their process of suing the NCAA for taking away their name?
  • Upvote 1

Chatted with a few locals in SW NoDak this past week - openly mocking the "Nokota" or "Charging Nokota" nickname choices. To them, the idea of plucking wild horses out of the national park and claiming they are direct descendants of horses from Sitting Bull is as ludicrous as picking up a stray cat and saying it's a descendant pet of Egyptian pharaohs. After listening to what they had to say, I am in agreement with them. Nokota or Charging Nokota - just say "no."

• Upvote 1

http://www.inforum.com/letters/3755844-letter-dakota-nickname-could-spell-more-trouble-und

Hook, line, and sinker, to a few on here already!

With their complaints on how a nickname gets abused in the heat of competition, what name would work?!

Wow!!

Fargo Forum is loving all of this!

OK. That's enough. It is time for an adult to publicly tell these people to "Shut the !@#$ Up".....respectfully of course

• Upvote 1

Night Rider is racist?? I think David Hasselhoff and KITT would object. ;)

The phrase Night Riders was commonly used to refer to marauding groups in the South who carried out acts of property destruction, violence,  and murder against African Americans.  Many were part of the KKK but not all were.    They were functionally lynch mobs that operated under the cover of darkness. I actually cringed a little when I saw Night Riders on the list.  

The phrase Night Riders was commonly used to refer to marauding groups in the South who carried out acts of property destruction, violence, and murder against African Americans. Many were part of the KKK but not all were. They were functionally lynch mobs that operated under the cover of darkness. I actually cringed a little when I saw Night Riders on the list.

Yeah, we might want to pass on that one...

Remember, all it took was one yes vote from anyone on the committee to move a name to the next round. Out of the 63 names still on the list, a guess would be that not more than 7 - 10 names on that list make the next round.

Hopefully it takes more than one no vote to stop a name. I'm thinking about you, McDonald.

Maybe we should start a movement to get rid of the Grand Forks girls high school team nickname Knight Riders, because it is too close to Night Riders.

You should look up the history of the Klan in Grand Forks. Not saying they should change that name, but...

You should look up the history of the Klan in Grand Forks. Not saying they should change that name, but...

I realize that, but I think they came across that nickname quite naturally, and I don't think we need to go down the same route that we had with the Sioux nickname where we had a group telling others they needed to be educated on why they should be offended. People can find something to be offended by if they look deep enough and we can see this play out every day in society.

I realize that, but I think they came across that nickname quite naturally, and I don't think we need to go down the same route that we had with the Sioux nickname where we had a group telling others they needed to be educated on why they should be offended. People can find something to be offended by if they look deep enough and we can see this play out every day in society.

The process we already have in place will be fine. It just needs to be done and a nickname chosen in a very timely manner.

• Upvote 1

OK. That's enough. It is time for an adult to publicly tell these people to "Shut the !@#$ Up".....respectfully of course

What a $h1t $how! It's time these people get the bird and tell them we've had enough of their enlightening soap box speeches. What a joke! These people only survive in places like universities. The private sector would chew them up and spit them out.

And Petey.....respectfully speaking to them has lost its luster.

• Upvote 3