SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

The Kubler-Ross Model

Denial

Anger

Bargaining

Depression

Acceptance

I know as a fan base we're individually unique as to where each is at, but as a whole I think we're mainly through depression and moving into acceptance. Getting something (anything) new to rally around* and fully get out of depression is a key step to put the loss behind us as a whole. 

*You can't rally around a nothing because all it does is remind you what was there ... and depress you. 

There are a number, both on this board and writing letters to the editor, who still seem to be in the "denial" phase.

There are a number, both on this board and writing letters to the editor, who still seem to be in the "denial" phase.

I know as a fan base we're individually unique as to where each is at, ... 

Uh-huh ... ;)

That tail of the bell curve of where people are at will always exist. 

Can someone breakdown the whole trademark thing for me? Im slightly confused. Does it mean that if a nickname is being used by a school/pro team it will be rejected as an option?

No, not that extreme.

But say you want to be the Wildcats (gag): You'd better not show up to the USPTO with the same (lame) logo as Kentucky or UNH when you try to trademark it as distinct, and unique, and yours. At the USPTO link you can read up more about trademarks in their "Trademark Basics" (pretty easy). 

Here's an interesting article from the Wall Street Journal about the ongoing nickname sage at the University of North Dakota:

North Dakota Needs a Nickname (And No, 'Fighting Sioux' Won't Do)

Some guy named Dave Berger gets quoted in the article.

Discuss. :)

Dave

This Dave guy is getting pretty famous, someone like CHN should pick him up.

kind of like how hak tailored the assistant head coach job description to be only for brad berry it seems that most of the criteria for und's new nickname really sounds like its being tailored to the "Nokotas" when i read the qualifications for the new nickname imo...?

There are 2 names that I think will be on the short list of 3 to be voted on.  Nodaks and Nokota.  I think these have the best chance to be a decent nickname moving forward.  Here is why I think why:

Nodaks:

Many people are, to put it lightly, less than excited to choose a entirely new name and logo.  They don't want to be known as anything else if it's not the Fighting Sioux.  Some of these people you can classify then as the "no namers" who simply think "North Dakota" with no nickname is good enough.  Well, being known as the Nodaks might be a middle ground compromise that they and others may rally around.  If UND simply adopted the name "Nodaks" they really don't have to come up with a new logo.  The interlocking ND has been used at UND for decades.  Simple adding Nodaks below the ND logo would give us a name, but we wouldn't have to change too much.  Old jerseys from teams in the past ,basketball I know for sure, had "Nodaks" on them.  So its not like we haven't gone by it before.  Not having to come up with a new logo is something many don't want to do.  Picking Nodaks keeps the logo in place and gices UND a nickname without having to change things drastically.

Nokota:

Now there are those that want a new name and a new logo and a new identity.  One thing I and others said in the survey was that they wanted something original.  Something that no other school has.  Well Nokota is exactly that.  Cannot get any more original than that.  To my knowledge, no atheltic team is called the Nokota.  Itis the state horse of North Dakota.  And its history is specific to being only from North Dakota. There is the potential for a pretty sweet new logo to be designed as well.  A new logo that people really liked would go a long way.  Of course it has already been mentioned that you could shorten it to "Nokes" if you wanted. 

Those are the best options I see out there. 

• Upvote 2

There are 2 names that I think will be on the short list of 3 to be voted on.  Nodaks and Nokota.  I think these have the best chance to be a decent nickname moving forward.  Here is why I think why:

Nodaks:

Many people are, to put it lightly, less than excited to choose a entirely new name and logo.  They don't want to be known as anything else if it's not the Fighting Sioux.  Some of these people you can classify then as the "no namers" who simply think "North Dakota" with no nickname is good enough.  Well, being known as the Nodaks might be a middle ground compromise that they and others may rally around.  If UND simply adopted the name "Nodaks" they really don't have to come up with a new logo.  The interlocking ND has been used at UND for decades.  Simple adding Nodaks below the ND logo would give us a name, but we wouldn't have to change too much.  Old jerseys from teams in the past ,basketball I know for sure, had "Nodaks" on them.  So its not like we haven't gone by it before.  Not having to come up with a new logo is something many don't want to do.  Picking Nodaks keeps the logo in place and gices UND a nickname without having to change things drastically.

Nokota:

Now there are those that want a new name and a new logo and a new identity.  One thing I and others said in the survey was that they wanted something original.  Something that no other school has.  Well Nokota is exactly that.  Cannot get any more original than that.  To my knowledge, no atheltic team is called the Nokota.  Itis the state horse of North Dakota.  And its history is specific to being only from North Dakota. There is the potential for a pretty sweet new logo to be designed as well.  A new logo that people really liked would go a long way.  Of course it has already been mentioned that you could shorten it to "Nokes" if you wanted. 

140 characters or less!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :devil:

Nodaks:

Nokota:

miami hurricanes=canes

montana grizzlies=griz

montana state=cats

wyoming cowboys=pokes

gonzaga bulldogs=zags

usc gamecocks=cocks

tennessee volunteers=vols

maryland terrapins=terps

georgia bulldogs=dawgs

virginia cavaliers=cavs

when und beats wyoming in a couple months the herald headline might say "Nokes gallop over the Pokes"?