SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Most stars are yellowish on a dark black/blue background. (You're too focused on an extinct NHL franchise's usage.) 

My idea was completely independent of that of an EXTINCT, as you said, NHL franchise. Meaning it no longer exists. So it is free to be used, and we are as far north as Minnesota. Our state even includes the word "North". 

As for your criticism on the color, color of what something actually may be or appear to be is totally non-relevant when relating to school colors.  We could keep our school and uniform colors we have. 

• Upvote 2

Most stars are yellowish on a dark black/blue background. (You're too focused on an extinct NHL franchise's usage.) 

I guess what I am saying is that it would be a better match with our school colors than some candidates will be.  And that is no small issue, with all the green, white and black colors in the REA, BESC and Alerus Center.

I guess what I am saying is that it would be a better match with our school colors than some candidates will be.  And that is no small issue, with all the green, white and black colors in the REA, BESC and Alerus Center.

Not that I disagree with you but what do the colors of the seats in the FargoDome have to do with the colors of NDSU?

"We have a period of detente for right now and I think the best thing we can do at this point is that if we cannot be 'Fighting Sioux' at least today, then no other name can replace what we had and let's stay 'North Dakota' because North Dakota is also a name we can be proud of," says UND alumnus Sean Johnson.

Task Force Representative Chuck Horter says the school does not have to select a new nickname at all.

"We can be just North Dakota, we can select a new nickname, but we don't have to select a new nickname. That's why we need your feedback," says Horter. 

This from the meeting in Bismarck last night. Sounds a little different than what some have been preaching on here.

This from the meeting in Bismarck last night. Sounds a little different than what some have been preaching on here.

Honestly, I don't think anyone really knows whether UND can go without a nickname.  The settlement leaves things open to interpretation, and people are just stating how they think it would be enforced.  Personally I really don't want to see UND press their luck by attempting to go without a nickname and risk seeing the athletes suffer from NCAA sanctions. 

I say (type) that as a fan of the Sioux name, but also a realist.

• Upvote 1

"We have a period of detente for right now and I think the best thing we can do at this point is that if we cannot be 'Fighting Sioux' at least today, then no other name can replace what we had and let's stay 'North Dakota' because North Dakota is also a name we can be proud of," says UND alumnus Sean Johnson.

Task Force Representative Chuck Horter says the school does not have to select a new nickname at all.

"We can be just North Dakota, we can select a new nickname, but we don't have to select a new nickname. That's why we need your feedback," says Horter. 

They will select and new nickname and should.  And as soon as possible in my opinion.  They way this continues to drag out is causing more and more issues and is turning into a bigger joke than it has been for the last 5-10 years.  It is giving one group (false) hope that Fighting Sioux may come back.  It is letting other (falsely) think that no nickname is actually a long term option. 

UND has always been the University of North Dakota.  When they had no nickname, when they were the Flickertails, when they were the Fighting Sioux, they were and have always been the University of North Dakota.  That is the identity of the school and athletic programs, not a moniker, logo, mascot or whatever. 

With that being said, let's continue to give input as this is an important decision.  Input from all stakeholders is needed to make sure it doesn't get completely botched and we end up with something that properly represents the University of North Dakota.  This doesn't mean that we forget our history and remove every last remnant of who we were but by not moving on, we are purposely allowing this to cause more and more damage.

I found it interesting while taking the survey that the words "If the University were to select a new nickname" was used often. 

Warriors.  And that doesn't have to mean native american warriors.  But all warriors who have fought in battle.  What a great way to honor all the former, current, and future "warriors" in our US military!!  If you think the NCAA would have an isue with it, they can explain what I just said as who it is honoring.  Then let's see the NCAA come up with a "no people related mascot" policy!!

Honestly, I don't think anyone really knows whether UND can go without a nickname.  The settlement leaves things open to interpretation, and people are just stating how they think it would be enforced.  Personally I really don't want to see UND press their luck by attempting to go without a nickname and risk seeing the athletes suffer from NCAA sanctions. 

I say (type) that as a fan of the Sioux name, but also a realist.

Funny thing about "sanctions" at this point…unless there is an NCAA rule about having a nickname, I think the only recourse for the NCAA would be to sue UND for a breach of contract.  It would be awfully hard for the NCAA to demonstrate "damages" in the traditional legal sense, and for some reason I don't see a court ordering relief as extraordinary as forcing a university to adopt a nickname.

• Upvote 3

Imagine a scenario where a child is being told they have a peanut allergy:

I want my peanut butter.

No, you can't have that any more.

But I want it.

You can't.

I want it.

You can't. Nothing good will come of it. Here, try this instead.

No.

What?

No. I'm not eating anything if I can't have my peanut butter.

You have to eat something.

No I don't.

You need to eat something.

If I can't have peanut butter I'm going to have nothing!

Sound familiar?

Sounds like you were in a conversation with 2011BisonAlumni.