SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Also a why I think something like that would be shortened to Nokes unofficially, you are correct both are handful to say.

Count me out. Nothing worse than Seminoles being shortened to 'Noles, Louisville to The 'Ville, the Lightning being called the Bolts, the Senators being called the Sens, and Nationals the Nats.

Count me out. Nothing worse than Seminoles being shortened to 'Noles, Louisville to The 'Ville, the Lightning being called the Bolts, the Senators being called the Sens, and Nationals the Nats.

Wait until we are the Blizzard and tell me again how there is nothing worse. I can already see the football helmets...."Blizz" 

• Upvote 1

How about the Vikings being called the Vikes or Green Bay referred to as the Pack? Those don't seem so bad.

Personally, I want something that sounds good with "North Dakota" or "University of North Dakota" in front of it, and "Nokotas" ain't it.  Plus I hate horses.  People seemed to rally around my "Soo Liners" idea yesterday (although someone said it had been brought up before - good, that means it's an even stronger idea).  I also suggested on this thread, probably 60 pages back, "Frackers" - a nod to our current state of affairs in North Dakota oil production.  It works on many levels, especially with cheers: We will, we will Frack you, Frack the _______ (clap clap, clap clap clap), Fracker Backer(s) for student section or club membership, etc.

Scouts with a Lewis & Clark themed logo would seem to have a lot of potential.

I like this too.  Cue MM for a picture of the old NHL Kansas City Scouts hockey sweaters from back in the day.  They are awesome.

Are you trying to convince me that UND should follow the lead of Hillsboro?

Apparently a number of people here are on board with Nokota(s). I'm not one of them and I've pointed out my main reason (in addition to not wanting a horse as our logo), but to each their own.

No, not saying "follow the lead of Hillsboro", only that it can be done and is not that difficult for most people to say. ;)

The designer on the logo forum is on a nice track.

However, really like eric's Wolves idea. Owls, if a bird; Roughriders is good, Cavalry, Scouts, etc are also ok. Being of German blood, not fond or Norse.

Fear that ROK will be more PC, like Spirit, Blizzard, etc.

• Upvote 1

Robert O. Kelly (ROK) is a University of California at Berkeley graduate. (Hold jokes, please.) 

UC-Berkeley is the flagship of the UC system. (Stand by for flagship fight.) 

The Berkeley mascot/moniker is Golden Bears.

The Golden Bear comes from the animal on the California state flag

ROK is far from "original" or "novel and new", much less daring*, groundbreaking, or PC-challenging. 

I suspect he'll follow that "animal on the state flag" theme. 

*Daring would be "Rough Riders", as that's a state nickname. However, ROK comes off to me as a PBS watching kind of ... "guy" and "The Roosevelts" have been featured the last couple of weeks so that may give him some courage. 

Wait until we are the Blizzard and tell me again how there is nothing worse. I can already see the football helmets...."Blizz"

The two that struck me the most were Sens and Bolts. I simply cannot believe that NHL marketing experts felt that a team nickname (who says "Sens" anyways?) and non-name (they're the Lightning, NOT the Bolts) on the front of a jersey seemed like a great idea. The Nokes? Almost as bad as 'Yotes instead of Coyotes.

No, not saying "follow the lead of Hillsboro", only that it can be done and is not that difficult for most people to say. ;)

The designer on the logo forum is on a nice track.

However, really like eric's Wolves idea. Owls, if a bird; Roughriders is good, Cavalry, Scouts, etc are also ok. Being of German blood, not fond or Norse.

Fear that ROK will be more PC, like Spirit, Blizzard, etc.

I do like what Mr. Hillsboro has done with the Nakota logo idea.  It looks great.  I'm not a fan of that nickname, but I do like that logo design.  If a similarly sharp design can be done with the new nickname, it would help people get over the loss of the Sioux name more rapidly.  (I'll still wear my Sioux stuff....but, a new name is needed for the current generation.  Soon...)

Robert O. Kelly (ROK) is a University of California at Berkeley graduate. (Hold jokes, please.) 

UC-Berkeley is the flagship of the UC system. (Stand by for flagship fight.) 

The Berkeley mascot/moniker is Golden Bears.

The Golden Bear comes from the animal on the California state flag

ROK is far from "original" or "novel and new", much less daring*, groundbreaking, or PC-challenging. 

I suspect he'll follow that "animal on the state flag" theme. 

*Daring would be "Rough Riders", as that's a state nickname. However, ROK comes off to me as a PBS watching kind of ... "guy" and "The Roosevelts" have been featured the last couple of weeks so that may give him some courage. 

Cal Berkeley is also the bastion of liberal thought. 

• Upvote 1

The two that struck me the most were Sens and Bolts. I simply cannot believe that NHL marketing experts felt that a team nickname (who says "Sens" anyways?) and non-name (they're the Lightning, NOT the Bolts) on the front of a jersey seemed like a great idea. The Nokes? Almost as bad as 'Yotes instead of Coyotes.

That problem extends far past the world of nicknames. It's gettin cray fo sho