SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I have a feeling the group who picks the next name would more likely pick raspberry beret

Not a bad thought…maybe we could do the whole Prince thing (he knows a bit about changing names), change our color to purple, and call our women's teams the Darling Nikkis.  Fight song could be "I Would Die 4 U" with everyone changing the last word to Sioux.  Is he even using that symbol anymore?  It may be ours for the taking!  And it would piss off the Gophers, too.

So why not the UND Brave - based on the pioneer spirit of ND settlers and even the air force base being located nearby? (of course there is a subtle reference to the native american term "Braves" but someone will always find something wrong with any name.)

From the North Dakota Hymn

Onward, onward, onward going,

Light of courage in thine eyes,

Sweet the winds above thee blowing,

Green thy fields and fair thy skies;

North Dakota, North Dakota,

Brave the soul that in thee lies.

As FU folks love to point out green and pink are UND's official colors, for the prairie rose, green prairies and rosy prospects.  It also includes skies.... Big Sky.

So why not the UND Brave - based on the pioneer spirit of ND settlers and even the air force base being located nearby? (of course there is a subtle reference to the native american term "Braves" but someone will always find something wrong with any name.)

I kind of dig that.

ehat aboue

eagleeyes

you have hawkeyes

buckeyes

but eagleeyes

STUPID!!!!!!  !@#!$!  UNACCEPTABLE for a program with this tradition!!!!

sorry - just trying to keep with the format of everyone shitting on every possible nickname candidate...and they always will.

accept the truth - there WILL be a new name.  Just think ORIGINAL (i know thats probably a challenge)

Just keep it North Dakota...Hal Gershwin had the right idea...We are proud, we are North Dakota...The only ones forcing this issue are the ones who wanted to remove the name to begin with...now that its gone and it doesn't have any correlation to how Natives are doing in society or how they are treated at the University, they want to instill some other name in hopes of shaming others from using the word Sioux at all on campus.

Just keep it North Dakota...Hal Gershwin had the right idea...We are proud, we are North Dakota...The only ones forcing this issue are the ones who wanted to remove the name to begin with...now that its gone and it doesn't have any correlation to how Natives are doing in society or how they are treated at the University, they want to instill some other name in hopes of shaming others from using the word Sioux at all on campus.

That's not even remotely true.

• Upvote 3

To bad UND officials have to listen to the NCAA and not Happy Harry.  UND will have a new name and logo as it states in the settlement.

A nomination from the Football forum (UND/Bison game thread) that should go here .... it stems from some NDSU fans worrying about Coach Schweigert's "boonie cap" that he wears at practice. A boonie cap got it's name from the Special Forces operators who only wear it when they're out in the boondocks. 

The new nickname MUST be the University of North Dakota Boondockers.  Boonies for short..  BRILLIANT!!!!!  :D  :D  :D

For the record, let me state here and now, ... 

I feel no shame; I'm proud of where I came from; I was born and raised in the boondocks.
One thing I know, no matter where I go, I keep my heart and soul in the boondocks.

I want a new identity in place in time for the 2015-16 school year and I absolutely did not want to remove the Fighting Sioux name and logo.  Nice try, please play again. :silly::angry:???

A nomination from the Football forum (UND/Bison game thread) that should go here .... it stems from some NDSU fans worrying about Coach Schweigert's "boonie cap" that he wears at practice. A boonie cap got it's name from the Special Forces operators who only wear it when they're out in the boondocks. 

For the record, let me state here and now, ... 

I feel no shame; I'm proud of where I came from; I was born and raised in the boondocks.
One thing I know, no matter where I go, I keep my heart and soul in the boondocks.

What would the logo be?

The settlement mandates a new name?  Anyone have the section of the settlement that mandates a new name be chosen or face the wrath of the NCAA?  I hope Darrell has his .pdf of the agreement handy...

First of all, it does.  Second of all, chosing a new name does not erase the 80+ years of history the University had with the Fighting Sioux name.  And third, having a school with no name for their athletic teams is unheard of.  Tell me another school that does this?  Even if the settlement didn't stipulate that we didn't have to select a new name, thier is no way UND would not choose a new one.

• Upvote 3

The settlement mandates a new name?  Anyone have the section of the settlement that mandates a new name be chosen or face the wrath of the NCAA?  I hope Darrell has his .pdf of the agreement handy...

Here you go, please note the date of Aug 15, 2011 was before the state law debacle, therefore NCAA agreeing (at least not harping on UND) to the end of the cooling off period for a new name and logo.

http://www.ag.nd.gov/NCAA/STATEMENTUND-NCAA.pdf

At the end of the three-year period, should UND not have namesake approval 
from both Spirit Lake and Standing Rock, UND agrees to transition to a new name and 
logo. The NCAA agrees to provide UND additional time until August 15, 2011 to 
accomplish the transition. In addition, certain imagery is allowed to transition at later 
dates, and some imagery would be allowed to remain indefinitely without implicating 
championship restrictions.