SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

The Warriors the best name I've heard so far. Sure beats the Cavaliers that was an ugly logo. Still don't know what's wrong with leaving it plain UND At least the so-called bison and fans can't make any derogatory statements from you UND. Well maybe knowing them they would come up with something.

Because not having a nickname is not an option. There will be a new name picked next year. As for the name Warriors what will keep the students or anyone from referring it to Indians instead of the military. Kids at Marquette still go to games in headdresses and Warrior gear even though their name is the Golden Eagles. Good name but it's bordering that NCAA PC line.

• Upvote 2

I don't even want to read this thread because it frustrates me so much. The Fighting Sioux name is no longer on the uniforms, but the the city, school, and alumni still identify by it. Stick with University of North Dakota and leave it at that. It would make everyone happy. Unfortunately, Kelly will make them adopt something stupid and politcally correct ... makes you miss Kupchella.

I'll have a hard time cheering for the UND Aeros, Force, Spirit, Cavalry, or any other stupid option he throws out there. I would love my kids to go there some day, so long as he isn't there any more. That guy should never have been brough in as President of the school.

• Upvote 3

Hate on it? No, just ... (wait for it) ... grouse about it. ;)

I'd prefer to not be prey.

Thank You!  You're a throwback to the old school guys who hated "Flickertails" because they wanted something that would "DEFEAT" the Bison so they came up with Sioux.  We all know how that went....AND GUESS WHAT?   There are MORE Bison fans today than actual freaking BISON on farms and reserves in ND so your arguement doesn't hold water.   My arguement is go with something unique to us that no one else in US has.  We can figure out the explanation later but if you think "BIGGER IS BETTER" how come no university has the nickname GODZILLAS!!! Becuase NO ONE would f*ck with GODZILLA!  (Just ask Mothra)

peace out!

I don't even want to read this thread because it frustrates me so much. The Fighting Sioux name is no longer on the uniforms, but the the city, school, and alumni still identify by it. Stick with University of North Dakota and leave it at that. It would make everyone happy. Unfortunately, Kelly will make them adopt something stupid and politcally correct ... makes you miss Kupchella.

I'll have a hard time cheering for the UND Aeros, Force, Spirit, Cavalry, or any other stupid option he throws out there. I would love my kids to go there some day, so long as he isn't there any more. That guy should never have been brough in as President of the school.

For the 5000th time!  The settlement with the ncaa STIPULATES we have to pick a new nickname - exactly for the reason you describe so stop using that arguement!   UND HAS to pick a new nickname and they will.  It will take a LONG time for it to catch on if ever and there will always be people who can't let go and will wear their Sioux Jerseys forever.  Ask Dartmouth how these things go.....but we DO have to move on!  Stop saying we don't have to....you're just plain wrong.

• Upvote 1

For the 5000th time! The settlement with the ncaa STIPULATES we have to pick a new nickname - exactly for the reason you describe so stop using that arguement! UND HAS to pick a new nickname and they will. It will take a LONG time for it to catch on if ever and there will always be people who can't let go and will wear their Sioux Jerseys forever. Ask Dartmouth how these things go.....but we DO have to move on! Stop saying we don't have to....you're just plain wrong.

Very true!!

• Upvote 1

For the 5000th time!  The settlement with the ncaa STIPULATES we have to pick a new nickname - exactly for the reason you describe so stop using that arguement!   UND HAS to pick a new nickname and they will.  It will take a LONG time for it to catch on if ever and there will always be people who can't let go and will wear their Sioux Jerseys forever.  Ask Dartmouth how these things go.....but we DO have to move on!  Stop saying we don't have to....you're just plain wrong.

The herald writers are apparently under a different assumption then as the question was asked in the weekly chat last week if UND actually had to pick a new nickname or not and they said no but they believe the school will to try to bring in more $$$. The school has to move on but fans of the Fighting Sioux don't and  there will be plenty who never will and even when there is a new nickname much of the fanbase will refer to the teams either still as the Fighting Sioux or UND.

The herald writers are apparently under a different assumption then as the question was asked in the weekly chat last week if UND actually had to pick a new nickname or not and they said no but they believe the school will to try to bring in more $$$. The school has to move on but fans of the Fighting Sioux don't and  there will be plenty who never will and even when there is a new nickname much of the fanbase will refer to the teams either still as the Fighting Sioux or UND.

And there are folks still referring to Stanford or Dartmouth as "Indians". 

Interesting thought hit me tonight:

- school color

- an NDSU fan making fun of Bubba's "boonie cap" <-- the kind worn by elite US Special Forces (like ... wait for it ... )

- show some honor and respect to US service men and women

The University of North Dakota Green Berets

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Forces_(United_States_Army)

I suspect the Berets would chuckle if NCAA and other do-gooders claimed we were being "hostile and abusive" to them. ;)

So why not the UND Brave - based on the pioneer spirit of ND settlers and even the air force base being located nearby? (of course there is a subtle reference to the native american term "Braves" but someone will always find something wrong with any name.)