SiouxSports.com Forum

New turf at the Alerus

darell1976

I believe UND paid just over half (around $2 million if I recall correctly). UND was not obligated to pay for any of the turf, as it was stipulated in the original contract that the Alerus Center would replace the turf in 10 years (I believe it's been 12).

Edit: Looks like 82SiouxGuy beat me to it....

You are correct that the Alerus Center was expected to replace the turf. But the main reason that UND was willing to contribute so much to the purchase was to upgrade the turf. The Alerus Center could have replaced the turf for approximately what they are contributing to this project or even less. I believe that UND wanted to get a better quality turf so they are basically paying for the upgrade. And part of the expense is they have to rebuild the pit where the turf is stored. The current pit would work fine for the basic level of turf, but this upgraded turf needs a bigger pit and new machinery. That part alone is approaching $1 million of the total cost. The turf alone is just over $3 million. The Fargodome has a similar problem with their new turf.

About 1/2. Total cost is a little under $4 million and UND is contributing about $2 million, although some of that might be in higher per game rent so I don't think it is all in 1 check.

I would guess that the nickname and logo issue are a major part of this design. They can't take something off the turf without cutting out a section. But they can probably paint something different on it. So it wouldn't be a good idea to put something on the turf that you may not need during the entire 10 years, like the potential of using something other than the interlocking ND for a logo.

When the Gophers were playing at the Metrodome, they were able to remove pait and logos from the endzones and such between Gopher and Viking logos. I an wondering if the same thing could be done at the Alerus. Pait on the interlocking ND and then if/when we get a new name and logo, put that one on there.

I just hope the Sioux offense sees a lot of the North Dakota words than the blank 50 yard line. Just give it a decade (contract is up) then UND can move back to Memorial Stadium.

Do you realize how much money it would take to bring Memorial Stadium up to modern standards? It was terribly obsolete when we left it after the 2000 season and it is even more inadequate now. Unless some donor steps up and writes a big check (think Ralph Engelstad 2.0), this is not going to happen.

Do you realize how much money it would take to bring Memorial Stadium up to modern standards? It was terribly obsolete when we left it after the 2000 season and it is even more inadequate now. Unless some donor steps up and writes a big check (think Ralph Engelstad 2.0), this is not going to happen.

UND has big $$$ alums, plus Altru is associated with the Mayo Clinic...how does Mayo Field at Memorial Stadium sound?

Today's lesson: the difference between important and critical.

Important:

I would love to see a "cool" colored field or the ND logo at midfield ...

Critical:

... the product playing on the field is good ...

That ends today's lesson on the difference between important and critical. ;)

When the Gophers were playing at the Metrodome, they were able to remove pait and logos from the endzones and such between Gopher and Viking logos. I an wondering if the same thing could be done at the Alerus. Pait on the interlocking ND and then if/when we get a new name and logo, put that one on there.

I'm not sure, but I think it is more difficult to do that on this new turf. The old Metrodome turf was pretty basic and was probably easier to paint over. They may have even had different sections of carpeting that they just replaced. Remember, they could change from baseball to football in hours. The Alerus Center turf is all 1 piece.

curious if when this drawing was shown to whoever runs alerus if she/he asked if there was any way they could somehow get Alerus in one end zone and Center in the other? maybe even the % rate of their checking accounts at mid-field? maybe even their 800 number on the sidelines? some atm's just outside the endzones?

i hope the guys at siouxfootball insider are givin whoever hell about this joke.

• Upvote 1

I'm just happy we are getting the Field turf. The field we played on the last 12 years at the Alerus Center never had a logo at mid-field and we did just fine. Sure it would be nice to have and perhaps it can be added down the road. I'm still excited about the field turf and the Big Sky (logos). As far as "Alerus Center" being on the field, they aren't the first nor will they be the last corporation to buy naming rights and put their name on a playing surface. Look at all the advertising on the ice and the boards at the Ralph. No one seems to mind that...granted they have a beautiful logo at center ice, but there is still advertising plasterd all over the playing area.

Makes absolutely no sense why the interlocking ND logo would not be at midfield. ZERO!! This better not be the final version!!

Because we are not Notre Dame. The fact that they didn't use the interlocking ND is about the only thing I like about this field.

The biggest thing I would have liked to have seen is either black or a different shade of green in the endzones so they constrast and stand out a little bit. Put the Alerus Center logo just a hair smaller on the other 25. I don't mind leaving midfield blank. Down the road when the nickname is figured out then something could be added there. Or else put the outline of the state of North Dakota there, maybe with small stars representing the locations of Bismarck and Grand Forks.

I know there was a bit of a time crunch to get this done (not really, they had 11 years to plan this) but it would have been neat if they had allowed fans to submit design ideas. But ultimately, as others have said, this isn't the biggest thing to worry about. It looks just like the field we have had the last 11 years. It just would have been nice to see a little bit more effort put into this.

I would have to agree with most others; it's very disappointing there is no interlocking ND at midfield. Besides for that issue, I like everything else. The material itself has been well publicized and will most definitely be an improvement. Also, I'm glad they incorporated the Big Sky Conference logos. I understand the reasoning why there needs to be Alerus Center logos, but why do they need to be so large and in the center of the field? - Especially when it takes away the possibility of having an interlocking ND logo at midfield. It’s disappointing that the Alerus Center desired to have such large, interfering logos. I somehow hope this gets changed but it’s doubtful; I guess the school down south won the turf-designing contest.

Put the Alerus Center logo just a hair smaller on the other 25.

This I agree with. Make each Alerus logo 80% the size it is now and slide each left (as you read them) and center them on the 25 yard lines. You'd end up with one on the NW corner of the field and one on the SE corner of the field. This would actually get the logo on television (MARKETING PEOPLE!) more of the time.

And it would leave mid-field open for my avatar to be put there. ;)

I sent an email to Brian Faison yesterday asking him about why there is not a logo at midfield and here was his response:

As a part of the naming agreement for the facility, Alerus Financial retains the mid-field area for their logo.

Brian

So it sound like any concerns you have concerning your dissatisfaction with the new turf design should be directed at the Alerus Center. Makes sense I guess. Whoever has the naming rights to the turf decides what goes on the turf. Gate City Bank bought the naming rights to the turf in the Fargodome, but they decided to put the Bison logo in the middle of the fieldd as well as their Gate City Bank logo. Seems that the Alerus Center could have done this also but chose not to.

I sent an email to Brian Faison yesterday asking him about why there is not a logo at midfield and here was his response:

As a part of the naming agreement for the facility, Alerus Financial retains the mid-field area for their logo.

Brian

So it sound like any concerns you have concerning your dissatisfaction with the new turf design should be directed at the Alerus Center. Makes sense I guess. Whoever has the naming rights to the turf decides what goes on the turf. Gate City Bank bought the naming rights to the turf in the Fargodome, but they decided to put the Bison logo in the middle of the fieldd as well as their Gate City Bank logo. Seems that the Alerus Center could have done this also but chose not to.

I got the exact same email response, verbatim.

Anybody know Randy Newman well? :D

Brian

Then UND shouldn't have put up the money. As far as I understand, it wasn't part of the agreement when the building was built, but they decided to give the money anyway and they're getting nothing out of it except Big Sky logos. Big deal.

Ok, they're getting better turf which will probably help recruiting, and will definitely help the players, but that's what the Alerus Center was supposed to put in after 11 years anyway, right?

Then UND shouldn't have put up the money. As far as I understand, it wasn't part of the agreement when the building was built, but they decided to give the money anyway and they're getting nothing out of it except Big Sky logos. Big deal.

Ok, they're getting better turf which will probably help recruiting, and will definitely help the players, but that's what the Alerus Center was supposed to put in after 11 years anyway, right?

As I explained on the last page, the Alerus Center was scheduled to put in the equivalent of the turf that is currently in the building. That would have cost less than what the Alerus Center share of the new turf is going to be. The total price for the new turf is going to be about $4 million, UND is paying about 1/2. The Alerus Center could have replaced the turf for much less than $2 million. UND wanted the upgraded turf. The cost of the new turf is about double what the cheaper version is, plus the pit where the turf is stored has to be rebuilt and new equipment installed to handle the new turf. The pit project will cost close to $1 million. So the Alerus Center is spending several hundred thousand more than they were required to by the lease agreement, and UND is also putting in a lot more money than they probably thought they would. But they are getting the best of what they is available that will work in the building.

I don't have a problem with them having the Alerus Center logo, that is part of sponsorships. But they still could have come up with something better than this.

These Alerus logos dominating the visual attention of the field reminds me of the old saying "nobody is there to see the refs", meaning nobody is there to look at the building just like nobody goes to a hockey game to see the officials make calls...it's about the product you laid your cash out for to watch.

They should not be the focal point of the field, they should be on the 25's opposite the BSC logos, and there should be the interlocking ND at midfield. The end.