SiouxSports.com Forum

New turf at the Alerus

darell1976

As I explained on the last page, the Alerus Center was scheduled to put in the equivalent of the turf that is currently in the building. That would have cost less than what the Alerus Center share of the new turf is going to be. The total price for the new turf is going to be about $4 million, UND is paying about 1/2. The Alerus Center could have replaced the turf for much less than $2 million. UND wanted the upgraded turf. The cost of the new turf is about double what the cheaper version is, plus the pit where the turf is stored has to be rebuilt and new equipment installed to handle the new turf. The pit project will cost close to $1 million. So the Alerus Center is spending several hundred thousand more than they were required to by the lease agreement, and UND is also putting in a lot more money than they probably thought they would. But they are getting the best of what they is available that will work in the building.

I didn't see that post. That makes sense, then, that UND would have wanted to put in extra money. Thanks for the explanation.

These Alerus logos dominating the visual attention of the field reminds me of the old saying "nobody is there to see the refs", meaning nobody is there to look at the building just like nobody goes to a hockey game to see the officials make calls...it's about the product you laid your cash out for to watch.

They should not be the focal point of the field, they should be on the 25's opposite the BSC logos, and there should be the interlocking ND at midfield. The end.

I agree. I'm happy that we got the new turf especialy if its true that we got an updated version of turf that is actually better. However, if they are going to spend money like that on it I would just have preferred them to do the project right the first time. The size and location of the Alerus logos are tacky at best and really are an eyesore on what could be a beutiful field.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I know Maryland tends to go over the top with jersey designs, and now turf: http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d7BwH?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=college-football

Teams are tending to go a bit crazy now, and the above link is a prime example of going a bit too far, but why do we have to have the most BORING and PLAIN design possible?

• 2 weeks later...

They just started the work installing the new surface in the Dome. Do you know when the work is suppose to get going in the Alerus?

I believe that they have already started working on it. I think they had to start with rebuilding the pit where the turf is stored.

• 3 weeks later...

My guess is since its the same company installing turf at both the Fargodome and NDSU, once they are done in Fargo, they should be coming up to Grand Forks right? I would expect the turf at the AL to be in at the latst next week.

Sidenote: looking at the Bison logo in the middle of the filed makes me wonder how nice the interlocking ND would look at the Alerus. Oh well. The new turf is going to be sweet!

Couldn't help but notice the Gate City Bank is quite prominent in Fargodome in the center of the field on both sides. I guess that is just the way it is now days with naming rights.

It is remarkable that despite the prominent placement of the logos of a prominent ND financial institution, the powers that be found a way to shoehorn a team logo onto the center of the field. A feat that rivals such American accomplishments as the building of Hoover Dam or the Apollo space program.

• Upvote 1

Why in the world can't we have the interlocking ND at midfield?

As per the email I sent to him regarding this issue, here was his response:

As a part of the naming agreement for the facility, Alerus Financial retains the mid-field area for their logo.

Brian

Brian Faison

Director of Athletics

University of North Dakota

(P): 701-777-2234

(F): 701-777-2285

E-mail: brian.faison@athletics.UND.edu

www.undsports.com

As per the email I sent to him regarding this issue, here was his response:

As a part of the naming agreement for the facility, Alerus Financial retains the mid-field area for their logo.

Brian

Brian Faison

Director of Athletics

University of North Dakota

(P): 701-777-2234

(F): 701-777-2285

E-mail: brian.faison@athletics.UND.edu

www.undsports.com

I posted on this a while back, but I could not and can not find a college football field in the country where the Corporate Sponsor has full domain over all midfield designs. I dont know who negotiated that agreement, but to give up brand authority like that is, well, dumb.

• Upvote 2

Alerus really should receive some negative points for this one. No reason a collaborative deal could not have been made (e.g. Fargodome & Gate City Bank)

There is a difference in the naming rights agreements. Alerus Financial pays for naming rights of the Alerus Center. Gate City pays for naming rights of the theater at the Fargodome. That is a lower level agreement. If they called it the Gate City Dome it would probably be different.