SiouxSports.com Forum

New turf at the Alerus

darell1976

I believe that UND agreed to extend their contract 2 years to make it a 10 year contract. That way they cover the 10 year expected life of the field.

Gotcha. I thought I read something about a 2 year extension the other the day but then wondered when I saw this.

I figured our resident financiers here of the on campus retractable roof stadium would be coming out of the wood-work if signed on to the Alerus Center for 18 more years.................... :hypocrite:

I am curious what the good faith effort to hold more events there will include. Softball is the obvious one. I hope they don't plan on playing any basketball there.

Former softball coach Sami Strinz once told me that the Alerus required a $22,000 rental fee to hold a softball tournament there. I just don't see how UND could justify paying that. It would be really great if the Alerus and UND could come to more reasonable agreement for such an event. That would really be a positive thing for the softball program to be able to host an early season tournament like UNI does, and I beileve even St. Cloud does the same with the bubble that they put over their football field.

The only way I think they'd move any basketball games there were if an NDSU game or a potential Big Sky Tournament conflicted with a weekend hockey series. Although I think if UND ever did host the Big Sky tournament they'd be far better off keeping it in the Sioux Center. Would give them the best home-court advantage.

It would be a great addition and use of the AL in the spring! Every now and again I will catch a Colorado Mammoth game. Did you know slashing and cross checking are completely legal? Makes for a good time (beer also helps).

I catch myself watching Lacrosse if it was on ESPNU or something and it looks fun to watch. Lots of goals, lots of hitting. I really think UND should drop baseball (makes no sense up here) and get Lacrosse.

Believe it or not, UND might have trouble fitting lacrosse in the schedule at the Alerus Center if they wanted to try. The Alerus only has 2 open weekends in the arena between now and June. A lot of these events are annual. They may have more dates open during the week, but those wouldn't be as good for attendance at a sporting event. It might be worth exploring, but availability could be an issue.

Denver has five home weekends and is hosting their conference tournament. Finding three or four more weekends is possible if revenue is involved.

http://www.denverpioneers.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=18600&SPID=10874&SPSID=90261

PS - I looked at the Alerus schedule and many of those events are using the Aurora Ballroom, not the main arena floor.

http://www.aleruscenter.com/?page=ViewGoToMonth&GoToYear=2012&GoToMonth=2

Denver has five home weekends and is hosting their conference tournament. Finding three or four more weekends is possible if revenue is involved.

http://www.denverpio...874&SPSID=90261

PS - I looked at the Alerus schedule and many of those events are using the Aurora Ballroom, not the main arena floor.

http://www.aleruscen...012&GoToMonth=2

I don't think the schedule online is complete. The marketing person from the Alerus Center was on the radio this morning talking about the Class B basketball tournament and said that the arena was booked every weekend except 2 until June. She might have meant the building, but did say the arena. The building itself hosts well over 300 events per year and has something in at least 1 room just about every day.

I don't think the schedule online is complete. The marketing person from the Alerus Center was on the radio this morning talking about the Class B basketball tournament and said that the arena was booked every weekend except 2 until June. She might have meant the building, but did say the arena. The building itself hosts well over 300 events per year and has something in at least 1 room just about every day.

I think you are pretty close. Maybe a few more than two.

This weekend is the Mens Show.

Next is Class B Basketball.

Next is the Healthy Living Expo/Budget RV show.

March 17: Democratic Convention (this is one of the open weekendsm but I don't know. It was in the arena the year I went to it. But it was like 15,000 people. ;))

March 24: Home Design & Garden Show (Never been there but probably in the Arena like the Mens Show)

May 7: Easter Egg Hunt (not sure where this is at? Open weekend number two?)

May 14: Harlem Globtrotters and Motorcycle show.

April 21& 28 May 5: Proms (three more open weekends)

May 12: UND graduation

May 19: Flea Market (there last year its in the arena. Place is packed)

May 27: High School Graduations

And then June. That makes three to five open weekends between now and June, at most. This isn't to say just because an event is scheduled for the arena in the same date, they couldn't have both events.

*Yet so many haters cause it loses money. I'm luvin' it. If just the Sioux played there it is worth it to me. I doubt UND would be where they are at without it.

March 17: Democratic Convention (this is one of the open weekendsm but I don't know. It was in the arena the year I went to it. ;))

March 24: Home Design & Garden Show (Never been there but probably in the Arena like the Mens Show)

And then June. That makes three to five open weekends between now and June, at most. This isn't to say just because an event is scheduled for the arena in the same date, they couldn't have both events.

Home and Garden show fills the arena and they use some of the meeting rooms for classes. Easter egg hunt is in the arena the morning before Easter, takes most of the morning at least. And they sometimes have private events that aren't on the schedule. So my guess is that there aren't very many openings in that period.

Home and Garden show fills the arena and they use some of the meeting rooms for classes. Easter egg hunt is in the arena the morning before Easter, takes most of the morning at least. And they sometimes have private events that aren't on the schedule. So my guess is that there aren't very many openings in that period.

Ok thanks, but where do they hide the eggs? :lol:

So that means that the NEW Memorial Stadium should be completed in 2022, right after the lease with the Alerus expires!! Can't wait!!

Do you mean the new 45,000 seat Memorial Stadium that will be the home of the University of North Dakota Screaming Wombats of the newly formed Big 64 Western Mountain Southwestern Mid-American NorAtlanticEast Pacific Sky Athletic Coalition Conference of North America?

I can't wait! :silly:

Do you mean the new 45,000 seat Memorial Stadium that will be the home of the University of North Dakota Screaming Wombats of the newly formed Big 64 Western Mountain Southwestern Mid-American NorAtlanticEast Pacific Sky Athletic Coalition Conference of North America?

Doesn't sound so bad. ;)

Will the winner of the conference get an automatic bid to the Cherry Berry FroYo Bowl?

You forgot to mention the retractable roof.

Do they play a bowl game in that stadium? Who sponsors? Scrubbing Bubbles automatic toilet bowl cleaner or White Cloud?

I can hear the broadcasters now ...

It's a beatiful day here at the Ode to the Commode Bowl, the lid is open. Let's hope nothing overshadows the stadium and drops anything on us ...

</broadcaster guy voice>

• Upvote 1

Do they play a bowl game in that stadium? Who sponsors? Scrubbing Bubbles automatic toilet bowl cleaner or White Cloud?

I can hear the broadcasters now ...

It's a beatiful day here at the Ode to the Commode Bowl, the lid is open. Let's hope nothing overshadows the stadium and drops anything on us ...

</broadcaster guy voice>

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

March 17: Democratic Convention (this is one of the open weekendsm but I don't know. It was in the arena the year I went to it. But it was like 15,000 people. ;))

*Yet so many haters cause it loses money. I'm luvin' it. If just the Sioux played there it is worth it to me. I doubt UND would be where they are at without it.

This is likely to be in the arena side. As Former President Bill Clinton will be there.

This is likely to be in the arena side. As Former President Bill Clinton will be there.

These Democratic leaders visiting the Alerus are jinxing our team!! They are bad luck!! The 4 years prior to Obama and Hillary visiting the Alerus, our football team was 42-10. Since they were there, our football team is 23-20. This is no coincidence. Who knows what kind of damage having Slick Willy in the Alerus will do to our team!! :silly:

These Democratic leaders visiting the Alerus are jinxing our team!! They are bad luck!! The 4 years prior to Obama and Hillary visiting the Alerus, our football team was 42-10. Since they were there, our football team is 23-20. This is no coincidence. Who knows what kind of damage having Slick Willy in the Alerus will do to our team!! :silly:

:silly:

• Upvote 1