SiouxSports.com Forum

New turf at the Alerus

darell1976

Why is it that about 5 minutes after they announced the Fargodome was getting new turf, there was a press conference with a picture showing what it would look like. Its been months since they announced the Alerus was getting new turf and we haven't seen any pictures. What gives? Must be locked up in the same safe that the playoff hockey jerseys are in!!

• 4 weeks later...

I was thinking NORTH in one end zone and DAKOTA in the other but North Dakota in both is fine. I also assumed Alerus Center logos would be opposite the Big Sky logos on the 25 with the interlocking ND on the 50. I'm wondering if they don't have the capabilities to add the midfield logo after the fact, though it might look funny with the Alerus Center logos there. The center of the field looks bare.

My first impression is that the field looks fine. I would have 2 comments though. It would be nice if it did say Big Sky on the turf but I am assuming it doesn't because of the tenative situation with the nickname. My other comment is it would look nicer if the center of the field did have something on it. The whole layout might have connections with the nickname controversy. I suppose if they added something to the center in the future it would look to busy . Any other opinions out there.

My first impression is that the field looks fine. I would have 2 comments though. It would be nice if it did say Big Sky on the turf but I am assuming it doesn't because of the tenative situation with the nickname. My other comment is it would look nicer if the center of the field did have something on it. The whole layout might have connections with the nickname controversy. I suppose if they added something to the center in the future it would look to busy . Any other opinions out there.

Those smaller blue logo's are for the Big Sky, if I am seeing it right?

It does have the Big Sky logo on the turf. Sioux Football Insider tweeted "With regards to the new turf, they must be waiting for the name and logo issue to play itself out. Why else would there not be a midfield logo?"

It does have the Big Sky logo on the turf. Sioux Football Insider tweeted "With regards to the new turf, they must be waiting for the name and logo issue to play itself out. Why else would there not be a midfield logo?"

Even if we were going to be called the Sioux forever, the interlocking ND logo would be more appropriate for the football turf anyway.

• Upvote 1

I'm guessing that UND would have had to buy the turf outright if they wanted their logo at midfield? I like the Big Sky logos and the endzones seem to look as good as possible, given the current "situation."

I understand what you are saying, but....

It's ok to put "Big Sky" logos on the turf but not "UND"? Is there another potential future Big Sky Football tenant that we aren't aware of?

It just makes no sense to me. Why would we half-ass this type of project? Do it right the 1st time.

• Upvote 1

I understand what you are saying, but....

It's ok to put "Big Sky" logos on the turf but not "UND"? Is there another potential future Big Sky Football tenant that we aren't aware of?

It just makes no sense to me. Why would we half-ass this type of project? Do it right the 1st time.

I agree. Have they said anything about how much money UND contributed for the turf?

I agree. Have they said anything about how much money UND contributed for the turf?

About 1/2. Total cost is a little under $4 million and UND is contributing about $2 million, although some of that might be in higher per game rent so I don't think it is all in 1 check.

I would guess that the nickname and logo issue are a major part of this design. They can't take something off the turf without cutting out a section. But they can probably paint something different on it. So it wouldn't be a good idea to put something on the turf that you may not need during the entire 10 years, like the potential of using something other than the interlocking ND for a logo.

I believe UND paid just over half (around $2 million if I recall correctly). UND was not obligated to pay for any of the turf, as it was stipulated in the original contract that the Alerus Center would replace the turf in 10 years (I believe it's been 12).

Edit: Looks like 82SiouxGuy beat me to it....

Well people are not going to be happy with this.... Aq3mnzNCIAAgdMv.jpg

FAIL. FACEPALM. EPIC FAIL. With all of the good new progressive things going on for the football team they go ahead and do this to us? This was their oportunity to make yet another statement about how this program is comitted to being a top teir program. The only way they could make this worse would be to either put a bison logo at the 50 or make it brown. A 4 million dollar investment and they let a blind man design it? I assume that is the only excuse. Maybe there is a interlocking ND logo in braille at the 50. This is a CMON MAN moment if there ever has been one. What a failure, new locker room, new all blacks, and a new 4 million dollar rug. They could've done better to say the least.

• Upvote 4