SiouxSports.com Forum

New turf at the Alerus

darell1976

An honest question....how many games will that roof be open? I see maybe the first few at the most. I never see that roof open in Nov or Dec (playoffs) unless its in the 50's.

Looking at the schedule for 2012, I can see it open for the first 5 home games, with the last being Montana on Oct. 20th.

2013, perhaps 6 games with the last being Sacramento State on Oct. 25th.

It's called a larger, long-term plan. It doesn't mean it will or has to happen. But if the opportunity arose, there's a plan.

And do we, does anyone, know what the NCAA will do with football alignments and division going forward? Better to take good care of what you have and have a plan for the future than get caught by surprise.

PS - "There's no way UND will ever fill an 11,400 seat hockey rink. They barely fill a 6067 seat rink ... " -- some UND fans circa the year 2000.

I believe that eventually, and sooner than later, the FBS will go to a limited playoff and then expand it over the years. Where does that put the FCS? Just another I-AA designation, that's where.

I believe that eventually, and sooner than later, the FBS will go to a limited playoff and then expand it over the years. Where does that put the FCS? Just another I-AA designation, that's where.

Personally, I would love to compete for a National Championship every year in football. There is ZERO chance of doing that at the FBS level. Instead of trying to be a small fish in a big pond, UND needs to focus on being the best FCS program in the country. Dreams of playing in the FBS get in the way of that goal.

Personally, I would love to compete for a National Championship every year in football. There is ZERO chance of doing that at the FBS level. Instead of trying to be a small fish in a big pond, UND needs to focus on being the best FCS program in the country. Dreams of playing in the FBS get in the way of that goal.

I agree. Would be great to compete for FCS year in and out. I just wonder what they would do if FBS did a legit playoff.

UND would never make any playoff. The best the FBS can hope for in regards to a plyoff is an 8 team playoff. No chance UND will make that. Absolutely none.

Boise State did it. Beat Alabama, beat Oklahoma. Short sighted people like yourself will always doubt visionary statements play it safe and watch the risk takers do great things.

Boise State did it. Beat Alabama, beat Oklahoma. Short sighted people like yourself will always doubt visionary statements play it safe and watch the risk takers do great things.

UND could beat Alabama or Oklahoma. Is this what you are saying? Do you believe this? Really? Pretty sure 99.9% of people anywhere would agree with me. Maybe we are all short sighted!!

UND could beat Alabama or Oklahoma. Is this what you are saying? Do you believe this? Really? Pretty sure 99.9% of people anywhere would agree with me. Maybe we are all short sighted!!

I didn't say right now spaz. Look at the process that Boise did apply it to UND. Yes, Really. It was people like you who gave them no chance in those games. Fool you twice shame on.....?

Dang right you guys are all short sighted! Boise State went from junior college to to 4 year to the Big Sky in athletics in 1978 and have now joined the Big East in FBS.

• Upvote 3

I didn't say right now spaz. Look at the process that Boise did apply it to UND. Yes, Really. It was people like you who gave them no chance in those games. Fool you twice shame on.....?

BSU could have won or at least played for a national title if the FBS was set up not to punish those out of the BCS conferences. I would tell UND until there is a playoff in the FBS......STAY OUT!!!

• Upvote 1

Sorry brother, I refuse to think small. If we're going to do it, let's do it right the first time around and do it big. Let's construct a facility we can build a program and a tradition around! I'm aware of past attendance records and could absolutely care less about what UND did back in the D2 and D1 transition days, the future is looking bright and it's going to take students, alumni, and fans with the right attitude to help make it happen (a winning team doesn't hurt either). I refuse to accept that UND will be a lack luster team that 10,000 or more people in the region support, I honestly believe in the potential of this institution and know that great things are in the pipeline!

I agree with you on this, but I think we better work on thinking big on our football schedule first. More DI FCS games, fewer NAIA and Division II games. Then I think big things are possible.

Since it "worked" for Boise state, how come other FCS schools aren't making the jump? Montana, Appalacian State, Northern Iowa...if it was so easy and such a great idea, those schools would have made the jump years ago. I think its ok to think big for this program, but looking at the FBS is not the right option.

As a fan, do you want to see your team compete for a National Championship, or not. UND can do that in the FCS. No chance in FBS. Boise State went FBS and beat some very good teams. Even went undefeated a couple of those years. But guess what, didn't win a Championship. Sure they have a Fiesta Bowl championship, but I would much rather win the National Championship than any FBS bowl championship. Anyday.

Since it "worked" for Boise state, how come other FCS schools aren't making the jump? Montana, Appalacian State, Northern Iowa...if it was so easy and such a great idea, those schools would have made the jump years ago. I think its ok to think big for this program, but looking at the FBS is not the right option.

As a fan, do you want to see your team compete for a National Championship, or not. UND can do that in the FCS. No chance in FBS. Boise State went FBS and beat some very good teams. Even went undefeated a couple of those years. But guess what, didn't win a Championship. Sure they have a Fiesta Bowl championship, but I would much rather win the National Championship than any FBS bowl championship. Anyday.

I could care less if UND is playing in the FBS or FCS, as long as they're doing it in a new football stadium worthy of building a tradition around.

• Upvote 1

I would take a rose bowl win over an fcs championship every time. Same goes for fiesta sugar orange and cotton.

• Upvote 2

Sorry brother, I refuse to think small. If we're going to do it, let's do it right the first time around and do it big. Let's construct a facility we can build a program and a tradition around! I'm aware of past attendance records and could absolutely care less about what UND did back in the D2 and D1 transition days, the future is looking bright and it's going to take students, alumni, and fans with the right attitude to help make it happen (a winning team doesn't hurt either). I refuse to accept that UND will be a lack luster team that 10,000 or more people in the region support, I honestly believe in the potential of this institution and know that great things are in the pipeline!

Your optimism is admirable. Now get out your checkbook....................

UND was never able to fill the 10,000 seat Memorial Stadium consistently............

They have never filled the 12,000 seat Alerus Center consistently..................

I believe if they win and can be competetive on a national scale ANNUALLY that they can fill the Alerus. If not, football in Grand Forks at both the college and high school level is just "filler" until hockey season gets underway.

I believe the current contract with the Alerus runs until 2019...............................If the place is sold out from 2015-2019 then let's talk about building a Northern version of Jerry-World. Until then, let's all start showing up to the Alerus for Big Sky football..................................

• 3 weeks later...