SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 Recruiting

UND Fan

Can someone tell me the last time a media personality in GF (Sweeney, Nelson, Miller, Schlossman, et al) have said a bad word or questioned anything a UND team or caoch has done? Your hockey coach won't do an interview after a loss and nobody says a thing about it. I can guarantee you Bohl or Phillips would be taken to the woodshed if they did that.

This shows you have no ideal what you are talking about. The coach has given numerous interviews after a loss. Are you really that stupid?

Well, now that we are in the recruiting dead period what's everyone's thoughts- assuming of course everyone who has verballed sign on Signing Day. Good list of kids that have verballed so far. We're continuing to build depth by getting some kids who appear as if they could play very early in their careers. I expect we will see, or hear about, a some offensive linemen and a few more secondary verbals as those are always going to be positions of need in the Big Sky. What is everyone's thoughts?

Something has been bugging me about GFH football coverage. If one looks over to inforum.com right now, news of the Bemidji receiver commit is front page news, huge picture and story on the rotating web top section.

Is this kid really a huge get? I dont know, but to the Forum's credit and NDSU's its covered as though it is. There have been stories written by Kolpack and co about every verbal so far this year.

At the Herald? Crickets. Schlossman does a tremendous job with hockey. If there was 1/3 of that type of reporting effort dedicated to football, recruiting etc it would be very big for the program. We on here know of 6 or so verbals for UND thus far. Has the Herald reported on any of the kids not hailing from Detroit Lakes? Hell, the hard part is done for them. How long does it take to go on Sioux Football Insider or SiouxSports Wiki then figure out a way to contact a kid or a kids coach and do a short story?

Maybe I'm just missing the stories. Maybe I have unrealistic expectations.

In the Herald live chat today, the question was asked why the Herald hasn't had anything on any of the commitments besides Mollberg and Labat. Tom Miller's answer was pretty interesting. Or should I say his non-answer. Basically, it doesn't sound like Muss wants the info in the media. Obviously the info eventually gets out anyway via SFI, rivals, scout, etc., so I'm not sure I understand Muss's reasoning. Oh, well.

In the Herald live chat today, the question was asked why the Herald hasn't had anything on any of the commitments besides Mollberg and Labat. Tom Miller's answer was pretty interesting. Or should I say his non-answer. Basically, it doesn't sound like Muss wants the info in the media. Obviously the info eventually gets out anyway via SFI, rivals, scout, etc., so I'm not sure I understand Muss's reasoning. Oh, well.

While I don't understand Muss's reasoning either, I'm actually shocked a media member would comply with that request.
  • Upvote 1

While I don't understand Muss's reasoning either, I'm actually shocked a media member would comply with that request.

Just to clarify, I gave my perception of what Miller was getting at. The transcript of the chat can be read here: http://www.grandfork...s/undsportschat so people can draw their own conclusions. It's his response to the question of why the Herald doesn't handle football verbal commitments similar to how Schlossman reports hockey verbal commitments that I found especially telling.

Just to clarify, I gave my perception of what Miller was getting at. The transcript of the chat can be read here: http://www.grandfork...s/undsportschat so people can draw their own conclusions. It's his response to the question of why the Herald doesn't handle football verbal commitments similar to how Schlossman reports hockey verbal commitments that I found especially telling.

Maybe it was somewhat of a dig at our neighbors to the south who seem to have recruiting info in the paper whether its 100% accurate or not. Or at least that's what it seems, particularly lately with the article in the Forum how the RB from Wisconsin had committed (Horne I think?) when in reality, he hadn't. Same with the write-up about Mollberg leaning towards NDSU. Could it be that someone down there leaks this info the paper? Or I could be reading into it all wrong and Mussman is just tight lipped about it and that is it.

Wow, who is recruiting the Illinois area?

Luke Schleusner recruits the state of Illinois for UND and is doing one hell of a job. I believe he has some connections in the state from his time as a GA in Macomb at Western Illinois.

I'm anxious to see what the signing day results will look like from Illinois when it's all said and done.

This shows you have no ideal what you are talking about. The coach has given numerous interviews after a loss. Are you really that stupid?

I work with a huge Sioux hockey fan who said he was listening to the Sioux/Gopher post games this year and he said Henessey was stalling and taking extra breaks waiting for Hakstol to come up for an interview until finally saying it must be too much of a hike for him to get up to the press box and going off the air without talking to him. He said it happens often. Maybe not after every loss, but quite often. I have no reason to doubt him.

I work with a huge Sioux hockey fan who said he was listening to the Sioux/Gopher post games this year and he said Henessey was stalling and taking extra breaks waiting for Hakstol to come up for an interview until finally saying it must be too much of a hike for him to get up to the press box and going off the air without talking to him. He said it happens often. Maybe not after every loss, but quite often. I have no reason to doubt him.

This got me curious. I'm not sure if he has made all radio interviews, but he has done a postgame media press conf/interview after all games. They are all on Fightingsioux.com.

• Upvote 1

This got me curious. I'm not sure if he has made all radio interviews, but he has done a postgame media press conf/interview after all games. They are all on Fightingsioux.com.

Exactly....

our Bisonville friend basically said Hakstol made no comments to the media after a loss...his major fail......I have literally watched him do numeorus interviews after a loss on UNDsports.com...........................

So you make idiotic statements about the whole year based on your friends one series of sioux hockey????

You realize Sioux vs Gophers is the biggest things in North Dakota and Hakstol has WAY to many requests from the media to fulfil that night?

So that must mean you work with a fat guy (huge) who wears a Sioux Hockey jersey and listens to the games on the radio? Hakstol seems available for virtually every postgame interview. They are usually set up by the home team in an area where the media can ask questions. Both teams usually provide a couple of players and the head coach for the session. Same thing happens in FB or BB. Background is usally a banner with the hometeam logo and the advertising sponsor. Teams are expected to provide personnel for those interviews. To try and get up to the radio booth in addition to that may be the problem, but I don't believe it is accurate to claim he isn't available afer losses. Someone on this board can ask Hennesey if he has an issue but I doubt that he does. Tell that "huge UND fan" to put more cheese on those pizzas.

• Upvote 1

According to Oskie from SFI, an FBS quarterback looking to transfer has been in contact with UND. I have no idea how serious the mutual interest is, or who the player is, but it may be something to watch for in the next few weeks.

Boy is UND really loading up on QB's. If he has an arm and is accurate...sign him up.

According to Oskie from SFI, an FBS quarterback looking to transfer has been in contact with UND. I have no idea how serious the mutual interest is, or who the player is, but it may be something to watch for in the next few weeks.

JD Pride maybe? Although he was converted to WR at Minny, he's transferring FCS to play QB. Heard Indiana State is the early favorite. Wonder what other FBS QB's are looking to transfer......

JD Pride maybe? Although he was converted to WR at Minny, he's transferring FCS to play QB. Heard Indiana State is the early favorite. Wonder what other FBS QB's are looking to transfer......

Pride seems like a logical guess. The Strib article about his transfer said he's been in contact with Indiana St. "and a handful of other FCS schools". He's from the twin cities, and prior to his senior year played at Cretin--with Shea Walker and Joe Kleason--so you'd think UND would make as much or more sense than Indiana St.

EDIT: It sounds like it's somebody other than Pride.

All I want for Christmas is a seventh year of NCAA eligibility for Case Keenum and him to have an overwhelming desire to work on an aviation degree. ;)